PDA

View Full Version : The Clock

Typ0
10-19-2008, 03:31 PM
This is the official clock question thread. I want to know:

1) How did they enforce the clock.
2) How did they enforce the replay?

I'm appalled that there was a power outage today and part of this crucial game was not documented. All stadiums should have the same equipment to demonstrate the replay. They should have turned off all replay devices as soon as a game had to be played without replay.

Thank you.

Ebenezer
10-19-2008, 04:42 PM
This is the official clock question thread. I want to know:

1) How did they enforce the clock.
2) How did they enforce the replay?

I'm appalled that there was a power outage today and part of this crucial game was not documented. All stadiums should have the same equipment to demonstrate the replay. They should have turned off all replay devices as soon as a game had to be played without replay.

Thank you.
The clock was kept on the field.

The power outage had nothing to do with the stadium - it was across the street in a parking lot.

Appalled?? Really? You're that mad over it? Fine. Then find the ass who blew up a garbage bag with helium and let it go in a parking lot. It was probably some no clue fan who thought he was being funny and was too drunk to stand up straight.

It sure wasn't the Bills fault. Also, generators to carry the broadcast? Any clue how many they would have needed? Come on.

Why should other games have gone without reply? Personally, I think everything went very well. They even stopped the game in the hopes that it would get fixed pronto. It was handled very well. You could see the coaches communicating with the officials and those on the field knew exactly what was going on.

northernbillfan
10-19-2008, 04:45 PM
As far as I know the on field ref keeps the "official" game time.

The clock we see in the stadium and on TV is in sync with his clock and it is for such unforeseen circumstances like today.

Ebenezer
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
As far as I know the on field ref keeps the "official" game time.

The clock we see in the stadium and on TV is in sync with his clock and it is for such unforeseen circumstances like today.
The official time is always kept on the field. The scoreboard is for the fans. The only thing that they really needed to be concerned with was the play clock. QBs are very dependent on that. I think each team got a delay of game call during the blackout. Other than that - very smooth.

ServoBillieves
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Bills won. On to next week!

Mitchy moo
10-19-2008, 04:53 PM
We won by 9 & could of scored more but we ended the game.

northernbillfan
10-19-2008, 04:55 PM
We won by 9 & could of scored more but we ended the game.That would have been classless of the Bills to pile it on at that point.

Typ0
10-19-2008, 04:59 PM
eb, I didn't read all your post at all but yeah I'm opposed. If the league is going to choose the replay then they should choose the replay.

ServoBillieves
10-19-2008, 05:03 PM
That would have been classless of the Bills to pile it on at that point.

Having watched the Cowboys and Patriots for so long, I semi-expected the Bills to go for the field goal then jam the sacks/et cetera down the Chargers throats, but they did the right thing to win, rather than being jerks.

Ebenezer
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
eb, I didn't read all your post at all but yeah I'm opposed. If the league is going to choose the replay then they should choose the replay.
replay what? why should something that happens at one stadium affect the others?

Dr. Lecter
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Appalled?

A tad bit of an overreaction.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 04:14 AM
replay what? why should something that happens at one stadium affect the others?

because the outcome of the game could be effected. The replay should not be used differently in different games. Week to week and game to game the replay should be applied consistently...not more effective for the game of the week and not existent for a game not being televised.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Appalled?

A tad bit of an overreaction.

I don't think so at all...and if there was a very questionable call in this game the tune would be different here too.

Night Train
10-20-2008, 05:02 AM
The clock was kept on the field.

The power outage had nothing to do with the stadium - it was across the street in a parking lot.

Appalled?? Really? You're that mad over it? Fine. Then find the ass who blew up a garbage bag with helium and let it go in a parking lot. It was probably some no clue fan who thought he was being funny and was too drunk to stand up straight.

It sure wasn't the Bills fault. Also, generators to carry the broadcast? Any clue how many they would have needed? Come on.

Why should other games have gone without reply? Personally, I think everything went very well. They even stopped the game in the hopes that it would get fixed pronto. It was handled very well. You could see the coaches communicating with the officials and those on the field knew exactly what was going on.

:bf1: Spot on.

I was there & it couldn't have been handled any better. The weather was perfect & the fans still had a great time. :up:

LtFinFan66
10-20-2008, 05:04 AM
I don't think so at all...and if there was a very questionable call in this game the tune would be different here too.Are you serious?? I sure hope not. This thread is whacko

BlackMetalNinja
10-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Sense... this thread makes none.

Dozerdog
10-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Potential of no replay vs Delaying the game or cancelling it.

Bills already had their bye week- not sure when or how you reschedule this game. San Diego has to play in London next week so pushing this game to Monday would not work, and screw 70,000 ticket holders. Talk about appalled fans then

Delay the game for 2-3 hours? Then potentially you could lose power late in the game and play in the dark. Evacuating 70,000 in the dark would be unsafe.

Both teams were informed, both teams were fine with playing under those conditions. If they can play in Blizzards, Hurricane remnants, or 100 degree temps, they can play under high school stadium conditions.

In the end the Chargers, the Bills, and the league were fine with it.

Please- get a scope of reality here.

jamze132
10-20-2008, 07:58 AM
It wasn't that big of a deal. :drama:

Typ0
10-20-2008, 10:04 AM
it's funny but I think you people calling me nuts are the ones that are nuts. What if this was a conference championship game then? The bottom line is this is an NFL game, one of only sixteen. The weight of these games on the playoff races is very heavy. The NFL has put forth a rule book and they should stick to it. In this case, they did not. They do not need power in the stadium to play a day game...but they should have back-up power available for the critical function of supplying the replay's. It's part of the rules. Also, every stadium should have the same replay capabilities...ie. not six camera's in one stadium and ten in another.

You all need a grip on reality. An analogy here is the bad intersection that doesn't get a stop light until someone gets killed there. What if the ref called Evans catch out of bounds and the power wasn't on? Everyone goes about their business and no one can throw the red flag. We come out on the losing end of the game and the next day some sports illustrated still photographer has a clear photo he is in bounds? What tune to you pundits who are calling me crazy are singing then? Did it happen? No, but it easily could. I'm the sane one here not blinding by a win for the bills and clearly seeing some problems with the replay that the league should correct.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I love the rep telling me this is the dumbest post ever. Sorry folks, I'm on target here.

Also, a word on the clock. I understand the game clock...but how can you call delay of game when the team can't see the play clock? How does the offense know what's going on at the end of quarters and heading to the two minute warnings? I'm sure they made adjustments but IMO there is no excuse for these clocks not being visual at all times other than they don't want to spend a grand to equip them with backup generators.

Ebenezer
10-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Typ0, nothing is equal.

1) Each stadium is configured different, hence, different sight lines for replay.
2) Each network sends different numbers of camera, hence, different numbers of replays.
3) Refs are not objective...they are very unwilling to change the call without clear evidence.

Sorry, you are off base here. The closest play was the Evans play and that was a dead on call by the ref.

BlackMetalNinja
10-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I love the rep telling me this is the dumbest post ever. Sorry folks, I'm on target here.

Also, a word on the clock. I understand the game clock...but how can you call delay of game when the team can't see the play clock? How does the offense know what's going on at the end of quarters and heading to the two minute warnings? I'm sure they made adjustments but IMO there is no excuse for these clocks not being visual at all times other than they don't want to spend a grand to equip them with backup generators.So instead they should have let each team take as long as they felt like to run a play?

It always amuses me when one person has a viewpoint and EVERYBODY else opposes it, yet that one person still thinks they are correct beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Ebenezer
10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
So instead they should have let each team take as long as they felt like to run a play?

It always amuses me when one person has a viewpoint and EVERYBODY else opposes it, yet that one person still thinks they are correct beyond a shadow of a doubt.
It was throwback football...like it should be played. Josh Reed even called a time out one time when it was obvious that the Bills were taking too much time...geez, players had to count and think.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Typ0, nothing is equal.

1) Each stadium is configured different, hence, different sight lines for replay.
2) Each network sends different numbers of camera, hence, different numbers of replays.
3) Refs are not objective...they are very unwilling to change the call without clear evidence.

Sorry, you are off base here. The closest play was the Evans play and that was a dead on call by the ref.

my issue is with #2. That is not a requirement. The capabilities of the replay should be determined by the league and uniform accross the games. The fact that the Bills are in a smaller market than Dallas, who is televised more due to that should not determine that the Dallas games are more likely to have the correct calls via the replay. I'm sorry but am not off base here the replay should be applied uniformly accross the league not abitrarily based on what the networks decide to staff the game with.

And the Evans play was made right but my scenario asked what if it was made wrong. You have trouble with those types of things. What if the ref blew the call, there was no taped evidence because the camera's were down but there was a still photo clearly showing he was in bounds? I think EVERYONE here criticising me would be singing a completely different tune about this and be outraged that we lost the game because of a power outage.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
It was throwback football...like it should be played. Josh Reed even called a time out one time when it was obvious that the Bills were taking too much time...geez, players had to count and think.

why is something that is not as technologically advanced "how it should be played"? You are being overtly romantic and unrealistic. We have the technology why do we even bother using it if "it should be done the traditional" way? That attitude sucks and is stupid.

trapezeus
10-20-2008, 11:04 AM
i fall somewhere in the middle of this debate.

i'm not exactly appauled by the poweroutage. Stuff happens. But it is odd that there isn't backup generators for a stadium. For at least safety sakes. If it was the monday night game or if it was a dreary day,it would have made a difference.

But in the end, i think neither team had an advantage. they adjusted and played accordingly. i do think that the chargers should have had to do their first series at the half without power to even it up.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not appalled by the power outage you're right things do happen. What I'm appalled by is that people so readily accept that the replay is applied so differently at different games. It's bad enough the ref's are arbitrarily bad, why is something with the potential to strive for perfection so easily accepted as utterly imperfect?

BAM
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
It appears to me from everything that I've heard and saw yesterday that everything was run smoothly and the power outage had absolutely no affect on the game's outcome.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
It appears to me from everything that I've heard and saw yesterday that everything was run smoothly and the power outage had absolutely no affect on the game's outcome.

why is it so complicated to understand that everything might not have run so smoothly? It's really pathetic that such a large proportion of the american public is reactive instead of proactive. This is an opportunity to correct something before ill things come from it. It's no wonder the terrorists can topple our economy.

Typ0
10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Typ0, nothing is equal.

since there are things we can't control that gives us an excuse to do nothing about the things we can control. Sad, very sad.

Ebenezer
10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
since there are things we can't control that gives us an excuse to do nothing about the things we can control. Sad, very sad.
Then ***** to the NFL...apparently 32 NFL teams disagree or they would be screaming about it.