PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: My observations from the game

Dr. Lecter
10-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Forked from: My observations from the game (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2697614)

I disagree with you about Fewell...I know you're not surprised. He is far from one of the best coordinators in this league. He is very average...at best and is worse when he is on the road. I don't want to be negative today, so I'm not going to go any further about this.

That's fine.

We will agree to disagree, but can fork the discussion :D.

Looking at what this defense is doing, it is hard to criticize him except for the Cardinals game. Look at the rushing numbers. Look at the overall numbers. Look at the scoring numbers. Look at the 3rd down defense.

I know you want more blitzing, but the blitz works best when mixed and used when needed. One can't do it all of the time.

Nighthawk
10-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I really don't understand you tonight...are you drunk?

Dr. Lecter
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
No.
Not at all. I thought we could discuss this in a separate thread.

If you don't want to do so, that is fine.

You don't like him and I do. We can leave it at that.

Nighthawk
10-19-2008, 10:47 PM
No.
Not at all. I thought we could discuss this in a separate thread.

If you don't want to do so, that is fine.

You don't like him and I do. We can leave it at that.

No, I just think you're way to giddy right now to argue rationally. Today was awesome, but some of your points are driven off the excitement of today, not the entire picture.

gr8slayer
10-19-2008, 10:48 PM
No, I just think you're way to giddy right now to argue rationally. Today was awesome, but some of your points are driven off the excitement of today, not the entire picture.
I think Fewell is doing a fine job thus far this season, does that make me irrational too?

Nighthawk
10-19-2008, 10:54 PM
I think Fewell is doing a fine job thus far this season, does that make me irrational too?

Do I need to go fork some of your posts last week or anybody's from last week? Up until then, that was the only "good" offense we had played and he was horrible. Now, this is why I didn't want to get into this because it sounds like I'm being negative, when there is nothing to be negative about on a day like today. However, Rivers was more effective helping the Bills than Fewell was. Rivers fumbled the ball on his own and then he threw a bad interception when the Chargers are about to go ahead. Yes, Mitchell got to Rivers for another fumble...off of the blitz...and ended any hopes of comeback. I just think that too many people are getting ahead of themselves because of the excitement of the day.

Dr. Lecter
10-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Not at all.

4th in 3rd down defense.

8th in passing.

9th in scoring

9th in yards.

That is the entire picture.

Philagape
10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
He's really improved this year. It's easier to be aggressive with Poz, Stroud and Mitchell on the field, unlike last year

gr8slayer
10-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Do I need to go fork some of your posts last week or anybody's from last week? Up until then, that was the only "good" offense we had played and he was horrible. Now, this is why I didn't want to get into this because it sounds like I'm being negative, when there is nothing to be negative about on a day like today. However, Rivers was more effective helping the Bills than Fewell was. Rivers fumbled the ball on his own and then he threw a bad interception when the Chargers are about to go ahead. Yes, Mitchell got to Rivers for another fumble...off of the blitz...and ended any hopes of comeback. I just think that too many people are getting ahead of themselves because of the excitement of the day.
You won't find any, I've made it a point not to post here lately. If you can't recognize that the defense is much improved from the previous two years then I don't know what to tell you. The fact that we held one of the best offenses in the league to almost 15 points less than they average should tell you most of what you need to know.

I have not gone back and read everything you've said about the defense but Lecter mentioned that you think we need to blitz more. It's simply not the kind of scheme that is based on blitzing.

Nighthawk
10-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Not at all.

4th in 3rd down defense.

8th in passing.

9th in scoring

9th in yards.

No, you're leaving this out of the picture...

Seattle = #27 in offense in the NFL

Jacksonville = #20 in offense in the NFL

Oakland = #22 in offense in the NFL

St. Louis = #31 in offense in the NFL

Arizona = #6 in offense in the NFL

San Diego = #15 in offense in the NFL

Sorry, but those stats pretty much sum up the picture. He looks great against mediocre offenses, but against good offenses he has his troubles.

In all seriousness, I really don't want to dwell on this because today was great and I'm very happy. Point is, I'm not a fan of the coaching staff of this team, but I love my Bills and I'm very excited about this year's start.

gr8slayer
Not at all.

4th in 3rd down defense.

8th in passing.

9th in scoring

9th in yards.

The only statistics that need to improve are turnovers and sacks. Other than that there are few D's playing better. Games like Arizona are going to happen, even to the best defenses and teams.

Oaf
We allowed two big TDs on consecutive 3rd and 10+ redzone situations. That was pretty disappointing. Our front 4 was more effective than usual, but our dialed blitzes really didn't penetrate till it was garbage time.

FlyingDutchman
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
yeah our pass rush has been a joke the last 2 games

gr8slayer
10-19-2008, 11:17 PM
yeah our pass rush has been a joke the last 2 games
And yet we're still managing to win games. No team is lacking holes in it's roster, it's something that I guarantee you will be addressed in the off-season.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
10-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I'm not that excited about the pass rush but what the heck we are winning!

By the way, I know Schobel has not been playing that good the past two seasons but I think we kind of missed him today in the run defense.

DraftBoy
10-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Blitzing more likely would of cost us the game yesterday there is no doubt on my mind. You don't leave a rookie CB who is struggling in pass coverage one on one against savy vets like Floyd and Jackson. Its a recipe for disaster. Fewell's scheme was perfect yesterday.

Nighthawk
10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Blitzing more likely would of cost us the game yesterday there is no doubt on my mind. You don't leave a rookie CB who is struggling in pass coverage one on one against savy vets like Floyd and Jackson. Its a recipe for disaster. Fewell's scheme was perfect yesterday.

Did you say savvy vets, Floyd and Jackson??? That's pretty funny considering Floyd can't even get on the field when Chambers plays, but hey, it helps make your point.

Nighthawk
10-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I'm not that excited about the pass rush but what the heck we are winning!

By the way, I know Schobel has not been playing that good the past two seasons but I think we kind of missed him today in the run defense.

We definitely need Schobel and we need him healthy. For all the flack he gets, he does at least put pressure on the QB from the DE position. Denney can't even get a sniff of the QB.

DraftBoy
10-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Did you say savvy vets, Floyd and Jackson??? That's pretty funny considering Floyd can't even get on the field when Chambers plays, but hey, it helps make your point.

Yea a guy who is in his 3rd year in the league and is coming into his own, at 6'5, 225. He's finally realizing how to use his size to his full advantage and is actually getting time with Chambers and has overtaken Davis as the #3 WR on the depth chart. Your comment about not being on the field when Chambers plays is completely wrong. He's only played in three games this year due to injury, I believe not due to lack of skills.

yordad

Sorry, but those stats pretty much sum up the picture. He looks great against mediocre offenses, but against good offenses he has his troubles.

In all seriousness, I really don't want to dwell on this because today was great and I'm very happy. Point is, I'm not a fan of the coaching staff of this team, but I love my Bills and I'm very excited about this year's start.How is S.D. only 15th? The announcers said they had the highest scoring offense.

mysticsoto

In all seriousness, I really don't want to dwell on this because today was great and I'm very happy. Point is, I'm not a fan of the coaching staff of this team, but I love my Bills and I'm very excited about this year's start.

And what rank was Cleveland when they annihilated the highly vaunted NY Giant defense a week ago???

SD was supposedly averaging 29 pts per game. Holding them to 14 was a great showing by our defense!!!

Nighthawk
10-20-2008, 07:42 AM
And what rank was Cleveland when they annihilated the highly vaunted NY Giant defense a week ago???

SD was supposedly averaging 29 pts per game. Holding them to 14 was a great showing by our defense!!!

You need to read the entire thread. I was not saying it wasn't a good performance, I was stating the facts and the entire picture. I was questioned why I'm not a fan of Fewell and that is it. Somebody else backed up their point with stating the Bills rankings, so I backed up my point with the other team's offensive rankings that we have played. That's all...yesterday they played good.

mysticsoto
10-20-2008, 08:13 AM
You need to read the entire thread. I was not saying it wasn't a good performance, I was stating the facts and the entire picture. I was questioned why I'm not a fan of Fewell and that is it. Somebody else backed up their point with stating the Bills rankings, so I backed up my point with the other team's offensive rankings that we have played. That's all...yesterday they played good.

Well, I think you're being hard and unfair on Fewell, but you have the right to not like him.

Nighthawk
10-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, I think you're being hard and unfair on Fewell, but you have the right to not like him.

Maybe so, but I'm just not a fan of him. However, I love my Buffalo sports teams.