PDA

View Full Version : Why do we watch football the way we do?

Oaf
10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Not REAL Bills related, but just wondering. Why is football broadcasted so WRs leave the shot 5 yards down the field and once the ball is thrown, you can't see what's about to happen until the camera catches up to the WR? You can't see routes develop, who's really open, who isn't, etc. Once the ball is thrown, you just have to hope for a sec that it's going to an open WR.

Why not employ some overhead shots or even some perspectives out there where the camera is behind the offense so one can see the entire field in front of them and watch the entire play unfold? Wouldn't that be great? I really think the replays that use that perspective are really the best.

I guess beyond criticisms of the current system, I'm really just wondering why it is the way it is. Anyone know why we shoot this way?

trapezeus
10-19-2008, 11:21 PM
no idea why its shot that way, but i agree with you. it stinks to not see the play develop a bit more. i'd be willing to sacrifice the close up of the current angle and have it pull back to where the safety lines up.

Lexwhat
10-19-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't have a factual answer, but we should consider the average NFL fan and also "watch-ability."

To effectively market the sport, the NFL probably chooses certain angles and views that best allows the average layman fan to enjoy the game.

On this board, we all like to break down the game, assess the plays/players, etc. But what about the average guy?

BillsOwnAll
10-19-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't have a factual answer, but we should consider the average NFL fan and also "watch-ability."

To effectively market the sport, the NFL probably chooses certain angles and views that best allows the average layman fan to enjoy the game.

On this board, we all like to break down the game, assess the plays/players, etc. But what about the average guy?

I think that would be the logical reason. Its all about ratings and money really. Its understandable theyll do whatever they have to get it.

trapezeus
10-19-2008, 11:48 PM
wonder if they'll put in the camera pulled back and then create it's own channel that you have to pay for.

Romes
10-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Not REAL Bills related, but just wondering. Why is football broadcasted so WRs leave the shot 5 yards down the field and once the ball is thrown, you can't see what's about to happen until the camera catches up to the WR? You can't see routes develop, who's really open, who isn't, etc. Once the ball is thrown, you just have to hope for a sec that it's going to an open WR.

Why not employ some overhead shots or even some perspectives out there where the camera is behind the offense so one can see the entire field in front of them and watch the entire play unfold? Wouldn't that be great? I really think the replays that use that perspective are really the best.

I guess beyond criticisms of the current system, I'm really just wondering why it is the way it is. Anyone know why we shoot this way?

Thats a good question. Direct TV should allow you to select to either watch the game on a channel with the traditional TV camera angle or on a channel where you can watch the overhead view. They had this option where I am for the European Cup this past year. If they can do it for soccer...they can do it for football.

Lexwhat
10-20-2008, 12:33 AM
By the way, if anyone is interested, check out the Sunday Night football game next weekend and watch it on NFL.com.

I haven't tried it myself, but I think you can view 4 different camera angles of the game.

TEtoLeeTD
10-20-2008, 12:34 AM
do you want to watch the routes develope and miss whats happening at the line of scrimmage? what if its a run play??

Oaf
10-25-2008, 10:32 PM
By the way, if anyone is interested, check out the Sunday Night football game next weekend and watch it on NFL.com.

I haven't tried it myself, but I think you can view 4 different camera angles of the game.
Really?
That's incredible.

I've always thought it'd be great to have a NFL "Premium" Service where there was multiple angles available and exclusive commentary that went deep into the X's and O's past what the average guy would care to listen to.

Griff
10-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Really?
That's incredible.

I've always thought it'd be great to have a NFL "Premium" Service where there was multiple angles available and exclusive commentary that went deep into the X's and O's past what the average guy would care to listen to.

also team specific channels. Screw NFL network, I want the Bills network.

BSXIII
10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I've always felt football should be shown from an overhead view as well. It would be great to see plays develop, like hockey does..... Then again, hockey is the least watched of the major sports and football the most. Guess to the casual viewer, cliches and story telling trump what's actually happening on the field.