PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Exclusive: OpIv37's Post-Game Review

shelby
10-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Enjoy!

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the game this week. Normally, I would wait until I had a chance to re-watch the game on TV before commenting. However, due to the power problems at the stadium, only half the game is available. So, I'm just going to report on what I was able to observe in real time.

The Positive:
-Kawika Mitchell- wow.
-Stroud had a good game.
-Despite injuries, the run D completely shut down LT and Sproles.
-Trent Edwards has an incredible amount of poise. I'm skeptical due to the Bills' post-Kelly history with QB's, but Trent convinces me more and more with every game.
-One of the reasons for Trent's success is the OL's pass blocking. He had time to survey the field and pick his receiver all afternoon. Peters had a much better game.
-Lee Evans came to play.
-Two guys Bills fans love to hate- Royal and Reed- both had excellent games.
-With Youboty not playing (injury?) and McGee and Simpson out, Bryan Scott and George Wilson got a lot of playing time. The Bills used 3 safeties in nickel instead of 3 CB's. Yet, they still shut down SD's passing attack, and there really was no noticeable difference.
-Great playcalling by both Schonert and Fewell.
-Jauron was correct in using the challenge on that punt. It was a terrible call by the refs and they blew it again on the replay.
-S/T was not dominant, but was solid and effective all day.
-The Bills finally beat a quality conference opponent.

more... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/10/20/opiv37s_incomplete_postgame_report.php)

Mitchy moo
10-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Stellar write up OP, love this part.

The Ralph was as loud as I've ever heard it. The fans really are buying into this team for the first time in a while.

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2008, 06:36 AM
You bring up a good point, where the hell was Youboty?

shelby
10-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Youboty has been struggling with a foot injury.

mysticsoto
10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Op, good to see you buddy. A few comments...

- Whitner is being moved all around and it is confusing the hell out of QBs out there. In his post game interview he mentioned that Fewell told him he might play free safety, strong safety...even nickel. And that is causing confusion on QB reads of our defense. I like his status as a wild card...

- Fred Jackson's block on Lynch's run was phenomenal. He pancaked Quentin Jammer (I think). That whole play was awesome...Langston Walker pulled to the right and had some great blocks also.

- Peters played his best game this year, despite being called on a penalty or two. He had his man on the ground several times (as Lecter mentions).

- It's been mentioned the whole Oline played well, but let's give direct credit to someone who performed fantastically - Duke Preston. He played Center and you didn't hear one thing from him. When you don't hear from an Olinemen, that means they did a great job! I, admittedly, have not been a fan of Preston, but he did great this game and I'll give him credit for it. He was definitely pumped. At the end of the game, people were walking out and he was still pumped and came over to our section and was still yelling "Yeah!" even though the game had already been over like 5-10 minutes or so. I wonder if he will be the heir apparent to Fowler. Preston appears to play Center an order of magnitude better than he plays guard, so maybe it won't be such a bad thing...

The game reminded me of one thing...I miss my season tickets. :(

madness
10-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Whittle also had a huge block on Lynch's run. I hope Butler returns soon but I wouldn't mind Whittle holding down the position even after Butler returns.

From another article Shelby posted...

“We knew that they would run a lot of Power ‘O’s, a lot of bounces and to Bryan’s side,” said Whitner. “So you want a guy that up there that’s 225 pounds that can keep his hands on the tight end and force the ball back inside. Bryan did a great job of doing that and I just played the middle of the field making sure nobody came across the middle out there and they didn’t test me.”

I thought for sure SD would be the team to test the deep middle. Fewell does a great job week to week of taking away the big play. I love this defense.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=163489

OpIv37
10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
thanks for the comments, everyone.

justasportsfan
10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Reed is a player that bills fans love to hate? Maybe a few but that doesn't make it majority.

madness
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
thanks for the comments, everyone.

No, thank you. :up:

FYI... Whitner filed a grievance today about a deranged Bills fan that wouldn't stop staring at him the whole game.

yordad
10-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Op, nice read. I look forward to reading more in the future.

Pinkerton Security
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Reed is a player that bills fans love to hate? Maybe a few but that doesn't make it majority.

he was def the focus of a lot of negativity a few years back. He's been steadily gaining support with his clutch grabs the last couple years, but I do know lots of guys who always ask "when are we finally gonna get a real WR to replace Reed??!"

Griff
10-20-2008, 10:25 AM
If people are hating on Reed then they think its 2005.

Billsfan3
10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
No, thank you. :up:

FYI... Whitner filed a grievance today about a deranged Bills fan that wouldn't stop staring at him the whole game.

are you serious?

mybills
10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree on everything...and it was tough having to watch the Steelers/Begals. :ill:
Didn't Reed have a nice block too? As for this part.."-Kawika Mitchell- wow." I told my son I'm getting his jersey next. He's been an improvement on this team, and he made it known in that game! :up:

The last buffalo fan
10-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Gracias! :bf1:

madness
10-20-2008, 10:46 AM
are you serious?

:jk: