Bledsoe: 54
Collins : 24

YARDS PER ATTEMPT
Bledsoe: 7.1
Collins : 7.5

QB Rating:
Bledsoe: 86.0
Collins : 85.4

I don't know whether this speaks more about Kerry Collins or Drew Bledsoe, but i thought it was interesting that they are very similar QBs in many ways. Just on name basis, DREW BLEDSOE is much more marquee than Kerry Collins but their numbers aren't all that different. They pretty much have the same build, are immoble, and complete passes at the same %. Their QB ratings are also both surprisingly close. One alarming stat that really stuck out to me was just how many times Drew was sacked. The Bills offense was allegedly better than the Giants all the way around last season except for TE. You would think that Collins would have been the one hitting the carpet more than Drew. And also, not to pile on drew, but you would think with Moulds, Price, and O'Henry, your numbers would be be A LOT better than kerry collins with tiki barber, amani toomer, and ike hilliard? If the situations were reversed, do you think Drew would have had as good a season on the Giants and Kerry would have put up the same numbers on the Bills? .... So what does all of this mean?

Either:

A) Kerry Collins is a much better QB than he is given credit for

or

B) Maybe Drew Bledsoe's "hall of fame" statistics are being put up in an era where kerry collins can put up similar stats, and grocery baggers can come off the street and win SB and Regular season MVP awards.

I'm really not sure what conclusion to draw, but i thought it was an interesting comparison to throw out there and let others chew on.

Ebenezer
05-01-2003, 10:32 AM
:dizzy:

I read into it that it is more fuel for wys...

Patrick76777
05-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Actually, I think K. Collins has really turned a corner the past few years. He’s always going to get bashed for the stuff early in his career but this guy has been playing good football. Remember he was a top 5 draft pick.

TedMock
05-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Collins is a solid QB. I always thought he kind of got the shaft in NY. He's not bad. As far as sacks go, they're both pretty much not moving anywhere fast. I think Drew's a very good QB but at times he looks for the big play too often and it costs him a sack. On top of that, don't forget that our OL was fairly young and they allowed a few pathetic moments also. The QB no doubt was responsible for several sacks himself but you also can't blame him for the ones where his arm is cocked back and he's blindsided and fumbles. Hopefully, going toward more of a power game will allow Drew to not feel like he has to make the big play and a years worth of experience on the OL will change this stat. I'd even go as far as saying 50% of the sacks were probably on Drew and no, I'm not bad mouthing him or suggesting we go in another direction by any means.

WG
05-01-2003, 11:56 AM
You're absolutely correct Alluro. I've pointed the exact same thing out a couple of times in the past. Your point that Collins had nowhere near the same weapons is eye-opening too.

I think it's a little of both. Collins is probably a tad bit underrated and has improved. But I think you are correct when you say that it's Bledsoe's marquee status that has carried him quite a bit.

As I've said before, if Bledsoe plays this year the way he has for 10 seasons and last year in particular, it will show this year. There are no excuses. Last year the D got blamed even though it played fine in most games that Drew struggled and improved as the season went on. I mean you can't blame the D when Drew tosses an INT to a lineman at our own 9 who runs in for a score, Price fumbles for another TD setup, and Bledsoe tosses another INT setting up a FG in a game w/ lose by 10. That just isn't the D's fault, you can't expect miracles from a no-talent D. Henry also took the heat for fumbling when, even if by chance, his fumbles did not cost us more than a game.

This year we will be solid if nothing else. We have some question marks in our LBing and DE positions on D. But our O should have all that Drew needs and more than 25+ other teams in the league. So miserable performances against the top teams will be extremely noticeable. I'm sure some of the folks hammering on me will find quite a few excuses for Drew. But they won't be viable if this happens.

I sure hope it doesn't, believe me! But history suggests that's it's more likely than not. As to D's challenge about "what would have been", that's water under the bridge, but I'd swap Haynes for Drew in a NY second! That's just me though. All we'd need to replace him effectively is a QB who doesn't toss 15 INTs in 7 losses. I don't think that'd be too hard to find. Blake didn't do that all season long.

WG
05-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Here's another very interesting thing Alluro:

If you look at the yards that a QB throws for to achieve a TD, Drew consistently ranks near the bottom. You can look at that for any particular season or overall for the most part.

While many Bills fans raved over yards, attempts, and completions, it seems to me that yards are only important if they lead to scores. Many people here see it differently. Yards, atts, and compls. are king. But in my book, who cares if you toss up 500 yards but can't punch the ball into the endzone.

Yet, Drew has one of the absolute worst Yds-thrown/TD ratios in the league. To me that means he's inefficient. To most I don't think it means a thing. Marquee status means more.

But again, per the numbers above, He averaged ~ 270 YPG but only 1 TD/game. That's abysmal by NFL QB standards. Even the worst QBs in the league are nowhere near that bad. I mean, heck, if we gotta toss near 300 yards to get the ball into the endzone once, what else needs to be said. Yet, that's inconsequential amongst fans who seem to think that a QB like that will breeze through the playoffs in spite of the laundry list of playoff debacles mentioned above. Like I said before, if Drew could string 3 playoff games back-to-back in which he played well, it'd be a miracle for one, and even one such game would be a first.

Patrick76777
05-01-2003, 12:06 PM
yards that a QB throws for to achieve a TD

This is actually my favorite QB stat. It really demonstrates the quality of a QB.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 12:07 PM
I think the loss of price leaves a huge void in the offense wys. I don't look for drew to match his numbers from last year because of that. Outside of Moulds, who the defense can willingly double all year now, Drew has NO proven targets to throw to....Yeah, Reed might be good, and then again he might not. Who knows at this point but he is a huge question mark. The backups after that are sketchy at best, and there is no one at TE to speak of.

I really hope TD can secure another receiver after June 1st, because I'm not sold on Travis henry either. Instead of considering him an elite back like some on this board, i view him talent wise as more of a Rodney Hampton/Barry Foster caliber player. He is a good RB, but he just doesn't have the natural physical ability to be great. Once the defenses take Henry and Moulds out of the game, Drew will be throwing to.....?

For the Bills to win the superbowl, they need to get another receiver. I would have liked to see them draft Calico in the 2nd round, but even he probably wouldn't contribute much in his rookie year.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 12:15 PM
It's just apart of Drew's nature to look for the big play. He lives and dies by it. This late in his career, I think it's too late to ask him to pull in the reins and look for the dink and dump outlet. He just will naturally always look for the deep ball over the safe dump off and i think that mentality could prove to be disastrous.

Peerless Price may not have been a number 1 receiver, but he had speed and he provided Drew the outlet to continue to play to his strengths. THIS SEASON, who does drew have to throw to? Can you imagine how many times he will get sacked this year waiting for our 3rd rate receivers to get open while moulds is doubled?

HenryRules
05-01-2003, 12:17 PM
I like my QB's to live and die by the big play. Favre does that ... Kelly did that ... Bradshaw did that. If you've got the arm, use it.

Oh, and I agree about PP being a big loss. Even if we're going to a power running game, running games are more effective when the other team's safeties have to stay back. With PP we had that - witness the cover 2's we played at the end of the year. Without him, I don't know other teams would lay back.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I like my QB's to live and die by the big play. Favre does that ... Kelly did that ... Bradshaw did that. If you've got the arm, use it.

I agree, we just need to have our version of Swann/Stallworth, Brooks/Freeman/Rison or Reed/Lofton/Beebe....Instead, we have Moulds and no proven receivers after that. Drew needs more help to succeed this year.

The Natrix
05-01-2003, 12:21 PM
I am fine with Moulds, Reed and Shaw. But you bring up a good point about the TE. I would have liked to see one taken early. I wouldn't have minded Dallas Clark with the #1.

HenryRules
05-01-2003, 12:25 PM
In an ideal world, I would have liked to have seen a TE taken early, however I didn't like any of the TE's that were available this year. I was praying Witten was going to fall to us in the 3rd, but the Cowboys ruined that thought. I'd like to know what it would have cost TD to move up there.

That said, I don't think Witten, or any of the other TEs would have provided much help this year.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 12:28 PM
I think McGahee was the right pick because i'm not sold on Henry long term....but to leave the cupboard so bare at WR is appalling.
Reed and Shaw? they have proven squat in their short careers in the NFL. Bledsoe is going to be under fire a lot if Reed doesn't step up in a big way. To take the pressure off of him, I really think TD should sign Kyle Brady to a contract after june 1st and pick up a cheap speed receiver.

The Natrix
05-01-2003, 12:36 PM
I like a Reed a lot actually. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and the fact that he did well as a rookie WR says a lot. What did Moulds and Price do as rookies?

Specifically what I like about him is his Route Running. It seems to be very smooth. I like his hands as I don't remember him having any big drops. But the thing that I like about him the most is how he attacks the ball, much like Moulds. If a pass is thrown to short he can adjust and go get it. Actually, I will be shocked if he doesn't pan out.

If he can except a #2 role for his entire career, I think he will go down as one of the better #2s ever.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 12:40 PM
If TD can sign Kyle Brady and then take a flyer on an injured player like Germane Crowell (his brother is on the team; and TD loves injured players) the Bills would be set. If Crowell fully recovers from his injury he could be the deep threat we need and probably be had cheaply.

The Natrix
05-01-2003, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Brady.

I also like Crowell (when healthy). He is another ball attacker.

What kind of a contract do you think Brady would be looking for?

Bert102176
05-01-2003, 01:11 PM
how about Bledsoe and our 2nd or maybe our 1 rn pick next year for McNabb, hey a guy can dream ok.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Wait until Drew Henson realizes that he can't hit a curve ball, and do whatever it takes to sign him.

Bert102176
05-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Henson blew it, he will stick it out in baseball till he doesn't have the football skills anymore

WG
05-01-2003, 01:38 PM
I hear ya Alluro, but believe me, Reed will prove to be as good a #2 as there is in the league. It's the depth that like you concerns me.

I agree, Calico in round 2 would have been good, and I think he would have been fine as a #3 and b/u.

As to Drew, he'll have more than at least 2/3 of the rest of the league. Dave Moore is fine as we'll find out this season. His hands are excellent and the only reason he didn't shine last year, actually two reasons, is JR first, and the fact that Bledsoe simply didn't look for the TEs much. What, 48 catches between them in a season in which he put up over 600 balls?

Few teams have the combo of Moulds, Henry, our OL, and Moore. Forget Reed or the other FBs and WRs. We may very well have the best RB/WR/OL combo in the league this season. So if Drew can't do it this year, then what that means is that he needs all-pro players all around him like he had in N.E. in '96 to do anything at all. I mean think about it, if he can't do something w/ at least a more than average team, then perhaps he isn't the QB we need to take us to the next level. But make no mistake, he'll have more than 90% or so QBs in the league have.

Just for comparison sake, here are the QBs who put up equal or similar numbers last year:

Brady had 4 more TDs on 600 fewer yards.
Manning, Favre, and Brooks all had 3 more TDs on fewer yards, 700 fewer for Favre, 800 fewer for Brooks.
Green had 2 TDs more on 700 fewer yards.
Pennington, Johnson, and McNair all had 2 fewer TDs on well over 1,000 yards less.

How many of those teams had the talent we had at WR/RB/OL combined?

I'll say none! Some not even close, yet their QBs came through and certainly didn't throw half the season away on INTs in the clutch. Heck, most of them didn't even throw as many INTs as Drew did.

No, Drew's gonna have to step up this season. If the only way that we can expect him to take us to the dance is for conditions to be ideal, then it's time for the Bills and their fans to admit that perhaps he's not as good as many think he is. In all fairness, let's give him this season. But I gotta tell ya, if we see another 12-15 INTs in those 6 or 7 games that I mentioned earlier w/o any reasonable TD production in those same games, why should we keep him around? Any average QB should do under those circumstances.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2003, 02:18 PM
"Wait until Drew Henson realizes that he can't hit a curve ball, and do whatever it takes to sign him."

I think he has already realized that, but he would be crazy to give up the guaranteed 12 mil the Yanks have given him! He is batting about 200 in Columbus right now!

Alluro
05-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
"Wait until Drew Henson realizes that he can't hit a curve ball, and do whatever it takes to sign him."

I think he has already realized that, but he would be crazy to give up the guaranteed 12 mil the Yanks have given him! He is batting about 200 in Columbus right now!

As a franchise QB, he could make that money in one season if you combine his salary and signing bonus. I really think that if he doesn't get it together this year in baseball, he will make the switch to the NFL and reenter the draft next year.

Throne Logic
05-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Alluro
It's just apart of Drew's nature to look for the big play. He lives and dies by it. This late in his career, I think it's too late to ask him to pull in the reins and look for the dink and dump outlet. He just will naturally always look for the deep ball over the safe dump off and i think that mentality could prove to be disastrous.

If this is true, than Buffalo will never go anywhere with Bledsoe as the QB.

Drew's problem over the last decade has been his insistance to force balls into situations that he has no business doing so. I faulted him at New England for this and again in the second half of last year as the schedule got tougher.

I was actually pissed last off-season when Gilbride was brought in because I knew Gilbride would only add fuel to this problem.

Big Plays only help win games if they are timed correctly. You can't just keep forcing balls trying to create a big play. A failed attempt at a big play for Buffalo generally results in a big play for the othe team. You can't win with one or two SportCenter highlights when you've handed the other team 3 or 4 highlights.

WG
05-02-2003, 08:21 AM
My big problem with Drew is that he rarely plays well against the better teams. That's for a single game. And I mean w/o giving the game away on TOs. So how can he be relied on to make it thru 3 or 4 playoff games w/o doing that so that we can win the big one!

Alluro
05-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
My big problem with Drew is that he rarely plays well against the better teams. That's for a single game. And I mean w/o giving the game away on TOs. So how can he be relied on to make it thru 3 or 4 playoff games w/o doing that so that we can win the big one!

Turn and give the ball to Willis !

Judge
05-03-2003, 10:03 PM

With a strong running game to take some of the heat off of Drew he becomes much more dangerous. Jim Kelly was lethal because of Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis subbing in. Dan Marino made a career out of the kind of year Drew had- taking the whole team on his shoulders b/c he had to.

Demon
05-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
Bledsoe: 6'5, 240, born in 1972
Collins : 6'5, 245, born in 1972

Last years stats:

YARDS
Bledsoe: 4359 yds
Collins : 4073 yds

ATTEMPTS
Bledsoe: 610
Collins : 545

TDs - INTs
Bledsoe: 24 TDs - 15 INTs
Collins : 19 TDs - 14 INTs

COMPLETION %
Bledsoe: 61.5 %
Collins : 61.5 %

SACKS
Bledsoe: 54
Collins : 24

YARDS PER ATTEMPT
Bledsoe: 7.1
Collins : 7.5

QB Rating:
Bledsoe: 86.0
Collins : 85.4

You forgot one thing....

Both led their teams to the super bowl and lost. : )

Hopefully that changes soon though for Bledsoe.

Dozerdog
05-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Here's another very interesting thing Alluro:

If you look at the yards that a QB throws for to achieve a TD, Drew consistently ranks near the bottom. You can look at that for any particular season or overall for the most part.

While many Bills fans raved over yards, attempts, and completions, it seems to me that yards are only important if they lead to scores. Many people here see it differently. Yards, atts, and compls. are king. But in my book, who cares if you toss up 500 yards but can't punch the ball into the endzone.

Yet, Drew has one of the absolute worst Yds-thrown/TD ratios in the league. To me that means he's inefficient. To most I don't think it means a thing. Marquee status means more.

But again, per the numbers above, He averaged ~ 270 YPG but only 1 TD/game. That's abysmal by NFL QB standards. Even the worst QBs in the league are nowhere near that bad. I mean, heck, if we gotta toss near 300 yards to get the ball into the endzone once, what else needs to be said. Yet, that's inconsequential amongst fans who seem to think that a QB like that will breeze through the playoffs in spite of the laundry list of playoff debacles mentioned above. Like I said before, if Drew could string 3 playoff games back-to-back in which he played well, it'd be a miracle for one, and even one such game would be a first.

This is one of the craziest posts yet.

Unless you provide all 32 team's stats, and provide historical data- then this is a bunch of garbage.

So if Drew throws for 300 yards, and the Bills punch in 4 1 yard td runs, he sucks?

Does this nonsensical look at numbers apply to running backs? WR's?

HenryRules
05-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Dozer, don't you realize that in 1985 Fridge Perry had the greatest season of all time for a RB?

3 TDs while touching the ball 6 times ... unbelievable, the guy was a god. To this day, it amazes me that Ditka was considered a good coach while giving the ball to that Payton guy all the time when he had Perry playing defense. Perry was the go-to ball carrier as anyone can see.

Dozerdog
05-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Butch Rolle-

How Kellen Windslow got into the Hall of Fame before he did mystifies me
Year TeamlGms lReclYdlAvlTDsl
| 1987 buf | 12 | 2 6 3.0 2 |
| 1988 buf | 16 | 2 3 1.5 2 |
| 1989 buf | 16 | 1 1 1.0 1 |
| 1990 buf | 16 | 3 6 2.0 3 |
| 1991 buf | 16 | 3 10 3.3 2

Not only did he score a TD 10 times on 11 receptions, but it took him only 26 yards to do it! that's only a 2.6 Yd per TD ratio!