PDA

View Full Version : Love the looks of the latest ESPN Scout Inc top 32!

X-Era
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft

from 21 on, your looking at guys like:

George Selvie, DE, So Fla
Brandon Spikes, LB, Fla
Everrette Brown, DE, Fla St
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Ok
William Moore, S, Mizzou
Sen'Derrik Marks, DT, Aub

Any one of those guys helps us day one. The only guy who's a question mark is Spikes who some think is strictly a MLB, I can easily see him playing SLB (which means we move Mitchell back to WLB). Spikes has the size and speed to play SLB or MLB.

My favorites would be Marks, Moore, Brown, or Gresham

DraftBoy
10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Why would we pick Marks to be our 4th DT, Moore to be a backup FS, or Brown in Round 1 when he grades closer to Round 3?

I dont know of any MLB who runs around a 4.7 40 is capable of playing outside, especially on the strong side where he has to race around the extra blocker. It just doesnt make sense from positional standpoint.

I love how Scouts, Inc jumps all over guys regardless of consistency or anything. Hardy, Stafford, Mays, Cody, Atkins (who plays for UGA not Texas), Brown, Cushing and Spiller are way too high. Curry, Wells, Monroe, Oher, Gresham, Selvie are way too low.

Lexwhat
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Doesn't Mitchell already play WLB?

Ellison plays SLB.

Lexwhat
10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Moore to be a backup FS

Not that I am advocating for a FS in Round 1, but recent indications are that Ko Simpson is in danger of losing his job.

PECKERWOOD
10-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Not that I am advocating for a FS in Round 1, but recent indications are that Ko Simpson is in danger of losing his job.

I agree with this, nice to have you on board the bandwagon, Sir.

Lexwhat
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree with this, nice to have you on board the bandwagon, Sir.

:up:

What position / player do you like in Round 1?

X-Era
10-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Doesn't Mitchell already play WLB?

Ellison plays SLB.

Mitchell plays WLB but was made the SLB when Crowell got hurt.

X-Era
10-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Why would we pick Marks to be our 4th DT, Moore to be a backup FS, or Brown in Round 1 when he grades closer to Round 3?

I dont know of any MLB who runs around a 4.7 40 is capable of playing outside, especially on the strong side where he has to race around the extra blocker. It just doesnt make sense from positional standpoint.

I love how Scouts, Inc jumps all over guys regardless of consistency or anything. Hardy, Stafford, Mays, Cody, Atkins (who plays for UGA not Texas), Brown, Cushing and Spiller are way too high. Curry, Wells, Monroe, Oher, Gresham, Selvie are way too low.

You and I agree that we are getting close to being in a situation where we can truly take BPA, but were more likely to take a BPA whos an upgrade.

Moore wouldnt be a backup on this team, you and I know that. Hes a better run stuffer than Ko, and is better against the pass. He projects to be a beast.

Marks will replace McCargo who will be let go after the season most likely. And Marks is an upgrade to McCargo.

I dont know where your getting 4.7 as a 40 time, but maybe this guy could make the point...

6-3 242, 4.76 OLB, thats Chad Greenway based on NFL Draft Scout. Poz was listed as 4.70 by NFL Draft Scout as well. Alot of us think he can play outside.

Spikes is going to run better than that. I think one of his strongest abilities is against the pass, which is important for an OLB, just ask LSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeib4I8hlO4

Comparing the ILB and OLB prospects, and there projected 40 times, I dont see a significant requirement for a faster 40 time. If anything it looks like height is a difference and only sometimes. Spikes runs 6' 3"

Florida plays a 4-2-5 which makes Spikes basically a MLB/OLB, he plays both and has to cover lots of ground.

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Ko Simpson has been injured all year and we still have George Wilson on the roster who wasnt bad as a starter last year. I dont see the sense in having three starting FS's on one team. If we make some moves to move Simpson who has good potential for some more picks, ok I can then buy it, but just outright drafting of Moore makes little sense to me.

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 06:58 AM
You and I agree that we are getting close to being in a situation where we can truly take BPA, but were more likely to take a BPA whos an upgrade.

Moore wouldnt be a backup on this team, you and I know that. Hes a better run stuffer than Ko, and is better against the pass. He projects to be a beast.

Marks will replace McCargo who will be let go after the season most likely. And Marks is an upgrade to McCargo.

I dont know where your getting 4.7 as a 40 time, but maybe this guy could make the point...

6-3 242, 4.76 OLB, thats Chad Greenway based on NFL Draft Scout. Poz was listed as 4.70 by NFL Draft Scout as well. Alot of us think he can play outside.

Spikes is going to run better than that. I think one of his strongest abilities is against the pass, which is important for an OLB, just ask LSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeib4I8hlO4

Comparing the ILB and OLB prospects, and there projected 40 times, I dont see a significant requirement for a faster 40 time. If anything it looks like height is a difference and only sometimes. Spikes runs 6' 3"

Florida plays a 4-2-5 which makes Spikes basically a MLB/OLB, he plays both and has to cover lots of ground.

We are nowhere near a BPA team, way too many holes and too little of depth to do that. The strengths of this draft will likely be at our holes which will be nice.

Moore would be a backup, I dont see him unseating both Ko and George Wilson as a rookie, maybe after a year but not as a rookie and if Marks replaces McCargo then Im glad we'll be paying Millions to a guy who will see maybe ten snaps a game as a 4th DT.

Spikes ran an official 4.69 at Florida's pro day last year, hence where the NFLDraftScout.com number comes from and the one I base his numbers off of. Also you mention Greenway but you also fail to mention all of the stuff about him. He ran a 4.60 at his pro day which is on NFLDraftScout.com, also keeping in mind that Spikes had run 40's that have been unofficially timed as high as 4.78. Im sorry that kind of speed does not translate to OLB in the NFL. Look at guys like Curry and Freeman they run in the 4.5 range, especially given our Cover 2 style of quick LB's, we can't have a ILB playing OLB and not getting to the corner in time. Can Spikes play outside? Of course he could, but its not his best position, his best position is inside. And almost every expert is projecting him there, for good reason.

Also playing a 4-2-5 or a Nickel package does not make Spikes an OLB. In any NFL system the Nickel package has 2 LB's in it, one is the SLB and one is the MLB.

Lexwhat
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Mitchell plays WLB but was made the SLB when Crowell got hurt.

I'm not trying to argue, but I just don't think this is true. Where did you see this?

Every indication is that Ellison just replaced Crowell at the SLB spot. That's the position I see them playing during games too. Even buffalobills.com was saying this since Day 1.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2277

Lexwhat
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Ko Simpson has been injured all year and we still have George Wilson on the roster who wasnt bad as a starter last year. I dont see the sense in having three starting FS's on one team. If we make some moves to move Simpson who has good potential for some more picks, ok I can then buy it, but just outright drafting of Moore makes little sense to me.

I agree. I don't want a Safety in the early rounds. I think we have much bigger holes to worry about, much of which you mentioned.

I was just saying that the Bills are not too happy with Ko Simpson (I recall that Chris Brown has mentioned it on more than 1 occasion), and some move may be made there.

X-Era
10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
We are nowhere near a BPA team, way too many holes and too little of depth to do that. The strengths of this draft will likely be at our holes which will be nice.

Moore would be a backup, I dont see him unseating both Ko and George Wilson as a rookie, maybe after a year but not as a rookie and if Marks replaces McCargo then Im glad we'll be paying Millions to a guy who will see maybe ten snaps a game as a 4th DT.

Spikes ran an official 4.69 at Florida's pro day last year, hence where the NFLDraftScout.com number comes from and the one I base his numbers off of. Also you mention Greenway but you also fail to mention all of the stuff about him. He ran a 4.60 at his pro day which is on NFLDraftScout.com, also keeping in mind that Spikes had run 40's that have been unofficially timed as high as 4.78. Im sorry that kind of speed does not translate to OLB in the NFL. Look at guys like Curry and Freeman they run in the 4.5 range, especially given our Cover 2 style of quick LB's, we can't have a ILB playing OLB and not getting to the corner in time. Can Spikes play outside? Of course he could, but its not his best position, his best position is inside. And almost every expert is projecting him there, for good reason.

Also playing a 4-2-5 or a Nickel package does not make Spikes an OLB. In any NFL system the Nickel package has 2 LB's in it, one is the SLB and one is the MLB.

I understand why you feel that way on Spikes. Yes, he is currently a 4-2-5 MLB. My point was that he has responsibility over alot more territory that a 3-4 or even 4-3 MLB. Im then saying that that fact makes him more able to play OLB. Plus game tape of his ability against the pass. As far as the speed goes, hes right in there, in the mix with OLB's on that front, some are faster, some are slower. Yes, we would most covet someone who runs in the 4.5's. But what Spikes makes up for in his speed is playmaking. And I would rather try to convert Spikes to OLB than draft someone like Freeman or Cushing who doesnt play with as much heart. Thats just me. We didnt even touch the thought of moving Poz outside. That could be done too. But yes its a switch, and why when we like how Poz plays where he is.

On BPA. Our only "holes" will be C and OLB. Those are the only spots where we have no returning starter (assuming we dont resign any guys Crowell, Fowler, and Preston are all FA's). I dont consider Ellison starting OLB material, just me. We should be able to address both of those needs in the draft. Im not sure theres any C worthy of a late 1st rounder, and the only guy I like in the 1st round at OLB is Curry, who some think will go higher.

If Curry goes higher, and theres no C, we are in BPA mode barring a trade up or down. Then, the next tier to look at is players who could upgrade what you have starting now. TE, FS, maybe DE or DT might fit that. Im not able to read the Bills brass minds, but many seem to agree that we may need upgrades here.

Luckily, I think we could draft guys at less pressing of a need and get an upgrade. DE, DT, TE, maybe FS come to mind. On FS, Ko didnt play this last week and possibly could have. Jauron indicated that the decision not to start him was partly due to injury and partly due to wanting a bigger guy to go up against Gates. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Ko. If we need situational starters at FS (when facing large TE's), we have 2 starters? Why not one who can handle both jobs? Wilson had plenty of time to show hes all we need at FS when Ko was gone last year, he played decent at times but not good enough IMO. When you run the Cover 2, the S's own half the field deep. Thats alot of responsibility. Id like the best guy we can get. Moore is potentially better than both. Its a possibility, not a clear need, but if you can get an upgrade, we should think about it.

Depth is a non-factor in this discussion. We could draft for depth at a variety of positions and throughout the draft. I will be ticked if we draft depth in the 1st round. Hell, first 3 rounds would be a bit of a reach. in the 1st 3 rounds, It should be guys that rate to be significant upgrades now or in the near future. Depth is usually guys that rate to be marginal starters or backups.

X-Era
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not trying to argue, but I just don't think this is true. Where did you see this?

Every indication is that Ellison just replaced Crowell at the SLB spot. That's the position I see them playing during games too. Even buffalobills.com was saying this since Day 1.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2277

I think you may be right, D and C says its Ellison on the SLB, as does NFL.com

That does change things.

I think you then look for a guy whos taller and faster with pass rush skills.

X-Era
10-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I agree. I don't want a Safety in the early rounds. I think we have much bigger holes to worry about, much of which you mentioned.

I was just saying that the Bills are not too happy with Ko Simpson (I recall that Chris Brown has mentioned it on more than 1 occasion), and some move may be made there.
On a few plays I watched of the SD highlights Mitchell was on the strongside.

Then on the SD TD throw, he was lined up on the weakside.

I cant confirm for sure.

Lexwhat
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
On a few plays I watched of the SD highlights Mitchell was on the strongside.

I cant confirm for sure.

I imagine Fewell was mixing up coverages to confuse the Chargers offense.

Either way, depending on who we draft, I wouldn't mind moving Mitchell to the SLB position and inserting the rookie at WLB.

But like I said, depends on who we draft.

X-Era
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I imagine Fewell was mixing up coverages to confuse the Chargers offense.

Either way, depending on who we draft, I wouldn't mind moving Mitchell to the SLB position and inserting the rookie at WLB.

But like I said, depends on who we draft.
I agree actually. Id like to add pass rush. Id LOVE to land Terrell Suggs :drool: (aint gonna happen) Although no one would have guessed a trade for Stroud either, so who knows.

What I dont have a good feel for is what are the specific reasons a 4-3 OLB cant play WLB in a cover 2? If they could you could think about guys like Selvie. Orakpo has the speed and is a bit shorter, maybe him? DraftBoy? again were talking conversion instead of a straight up WLB.

I do like Weatherspoon, just not Cushing and Freeman as much. McKenzie just hasnt done much for me. Im indifferent on him.

PECKERWOOD
10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
:up:

What position / player do you like in Round 1?

DE, LB, FS

Those are my top 3 for round 1, unless a stud C is available like a Nick Mangold type of prospect.

X-Era
10-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Suddenly, S become more of a need than we expected... as I eluded to earlier this week. Im not the Nostradamus for nothin' :up:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/471098.html