PDA

View Full Version : with our three glaring needs TE, OLB, AND CENTER

jimbohastle51
10-20-2008, 10:33 PM
which will be top priority in free agency and which in the draft??? opinions please... also does anyone know the upcoming free agents at these positions at seasons end??

Sportsuser101
10-20-2008, 10:43 PM
can we wait til this year is over with yet? i know i like to look at the draft ahead of time but free agency? plenty of things can happen before years end.

BILLSROCK1212
10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
OLB then resign CBs then TE then backup QB then DE then C

Sportsuser101
10-20-2008, 10:48 PM
OLB then resign CBs then TE then backup QB then DE then C

Right now I think center is our biggest need. Fowler is awful and Preston looked pretty decent this week but he got a ton of help.

Lexwhat
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't know about any good FA Centers or Strong-Side LBs, and I would prefer to get them through the draft anyway.

For TEs, I saw the FA list, but the only name I noticed was Leonard Pope (6'8" TE for Cardinals). He may be worth a look, as he is only 25 and a great Red Zone target. Not sure if the Cards will re-sign him, as they have too many defensive needs.

I hope we stick to our philosophy and re-sign our own players (Fred Jackson, Peters, Greer). We may even give Stroud more money.

I don't see us getting any more than 1-2 impact players through free agency (and no big names). Some LB and O-Line depth would be nice.

yordad
10-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Man, seems LB is the position where you can get the most immediate impact. But, it also seems it is the only spot were we could find something better in FA.

Transition tag Crowell.

Griff
10-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Man, seems LB is the position where you can get the most immediate impact. But, it also seems it is the only spot were we could find something better in FA.

Transition tag Crowell.

well if there aren't any rookies worth their picks we can always trade the picks.

clumping platelets
10-21-2008, 02:56 AM
we also still need a premium pass rusher at DE and a legitimate #2 WR

Griff
10-21-2008, 02:57 AM

why do people continue to hate on Reed, or forget that we drafted Hardy?

Night Train
10-21-2008, 04:35 AM
Transition tag Crowell.

I highly doubt he'll ever wear our uniform again, after what he pulled prior to the opener.

He can easily be replaced within the first 3 rounds of the draft, let alone FA.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-21-2008, 04:38 AM
why do people continue to hate on Reed, or forget that we drafted Hardy?

Did you see the "crack-back" block that Reed had on Lynch's TD run? His block opened the way for Whittle, Dockery and Jackson to get outside ahead of Lynch. It was terrific. And, he made a really nice, big catch on the FG drive after Mitchell's INT.

As for the draft:

It is hard to find good pass-rushing DEs, especially late in the first round when the Bills are likely to be picking next draft. The best pass rushers go in the Top Ten these days and one only drops into the late first or early second if there is some kind of serious issue with him (ie P.Merling, who was so injured that he didn't participate in The Combine, etc. and there were doubts about whether he would be ready at the start of the season, who still went early in the 2nd Round to Miami). So, it might be hard for the Bills to find a "sure-thing", premier pass rusher in the draft.

Outside LB, on the other hand, is a position where it is relatively easy for a rookie to step in and have an impact pretty much right away.

It's obvious that the Bills have no intention of bringing A.Crowell back next season and, with the injury to J.DiGiorgio, they are thinner than thin at the position. So, I can definitely see the Bills making this a priority position in the up-coming draft.

I can also see center being a priority, especially since M.Fowler's good relationship with JP Losman is no longer a factor in how the Bills coaches will evaluate whether to keep or replace Fowler. The problem is that the center makes all of the line calls and it does take rookie offensive linemen, especially centers, longer to be ready to play in the NFL. I doubt that the Bills' coaches would want to rely on a rookie to man the position when they will be expecting the team to be an even bigger contender than it is this year. I can see them possibly drafting a center, but only if they keep either Fowler or Preston (which might involve more years than they'd like) to man the position until the guy they draft is ready to start--which might not be until his second season. If they bring in a free agent to play center, why not spend the money to sign the best one available? And, if they do that, then there would be no reason to put a high priority on drafting a center. They could draft one to develop behind the free agent signing in the middle to late rounds.

Depending on what D.Fine shows the rest of the season, I can also see tight end becoming a priority for the Bills in the draft. I think that they like Royal more than the fans do and I think that Schouman has cemented a spot on the roster with his blocking and his ability to fill in at FB, as well as his special teams play. But, their interest in T.Gonzales indicates that at least some of the coaches feel that they can get even more out of the position if the team has a TE who is able to stretch the field some. There are going to be some TEs in this upcoming draft that can give them that who should be available when they are likely to be drafting in the first and second rounds. There isn't likely to be that level of talent available at the position in the free agent market--although it sounds like K.Winslow III desperately wants to get out of Cleveland ASAP.

Finally, don't forget that, with JP Losman leaving in free agency, the Bills are going to need to bring in another QB. I think we all agree that Hamdan isn't likely to be the long-term answer as Edwards' # 2 QB. The question is whether the Bills will opt to sign a free agent # 2 QB or try to draft and develop one. Considering how little interest they seemed to have in the crop of free agent QBs this past offseason, I would tend to think that they will probably look to draft a QB in the middle-to-late rounds. There are some QBs who may be in this draft that I think might fit their requirements and be available then. I can definitely see the Bills using a 3rd-5th round pick to get a good propect to develop as their # 2 QB of the future.

But, of course, it is still very early--there's still a lot of season to go--and there is still alot that can impact just what positions the team will feel are its greatest priorities to fill this coming offseason.

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2008, 05:52 AM

With Evans extended and Hardy here, there will be no investment in a #2 WR.

methos4ever
10-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Jason Brown, Baltimore Ravens is a free agent after this year. He was an RFA last year I hoped we'd pursue - as he is a great, great asset for that Ravens line.

If the Ravens re-sign Suggs, they cannot afford to keep Brown and/or Bart Scott (another option in FA to pursue) which would be a fantastic add to our linebacking corps.

I think, much like the past two years, they are going to target a few of the needs in FA to avoid getting a rookie. I think this year, with C, TE, OLB, OL/DL Depth and perhaps CB and FS they will try to target C, OLB and perhaps FS (Atogwe perhaps?) in FA and the rest in the draft...

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
With Evans extended and Hardy here, there will be no investment in a #2 WR.

Thats a mistake then. Hardy is nowhere near ready to be a #2 in this league. If a good senior were to fall who could be ready to play now, but has a lower cieling it would not be a smart idea to pass on him because we are developing another guy. Plus compeition is always good.

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't know about any good FA Centers or Strong-Side LBs, and I would prefer to get them through the draft anyway.

For TEs, I saw the FA list, but the only name I noticed was Leonard Pope (6'8" TE for Cardinals). He may be worth a look, as he is only 25 and a great Red Zone target. Not sure if the Cards will re-sign him, as they have too many defensive needs.

I hope we stick to our philosophy and re-sign our own players (Fred Jackson, Peters, Greer). We may even give Stroud more money.

I don't see us getting any more than 1-2 impact players through free agency (and no big names). Some LB and O-Line depth would be nice.

I believe Pope is an RFA this year, not a UFA.

alohabillsfan
10-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Thats a mistake then. Hardy is nowhere near ready to be a #2 in this league. If a good senior were to fall who could be ready to play now, but has a lower cieling it would not be a smart idea to pass on him because we are developing another guy. Plus compeition is always good.

DB, in what round?

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2008, 07:49 AM

Getting a #2 would involve a fairly large long-term contract. Is that a good idea? If an older guy (like a Galloway or maybe Isaac Bruce) is available maybe one of them would take a 1 or 2 year deal.

While I agree that competition is good (Never said it was not), spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR is not a good idea. And after that, it is highly unlikely to get a player ready to go right now.

#2 WR is down my list: DL, OLB, C, TE and maybe Safety.

Lexwhat
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I believe Pope is an RFA this year, not a UFA.

You're right, my bad. This is only his 3rd year in the league, and 3rd with the Cardinals.

Thanks.

Mr. Miyagi
10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
OLB then resign CBs then TE then backup QB then DE then C Tom Brady wants to get in the FA a T, C, OC, and K in his TE.

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
DB, in what round?

All will depend and to speculate now would be dangerous but lets play an assumption game. Lets assume Crabtree, Maclin, and Harvin all leave early which is suspected to happen.

Your top 15 WR's in the class shake out something like;
1. Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
2. Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
3. Joaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma
4. Percy Harvin, Florida
5. Mike Thomas, Arizona
6. Demetrius Byrd, LSU
7. Kenny McKinley, South Carolina
8. Aaron Kelly, Clemson
9. Brandon Gibson, Washington State
10. Jarett Dillard, Rice
11. Brian Robiskie, Ohio State
12. Jaison Williams, Oregon
13. Jamarko Simmons, Western Michigan
14. Greg Carr, Florida State
15. Tiquan Underwood, Rutgers

Well say only Crabtree, Maclin, and Harvin go in Round 1 WR wise, whic would be a huge shock. Well going into Round 2, you have top Senior WRs in the nation. If we are picking in the 21-24 range and a guy like Bryd, Thomas, or Kelly is there, Im taking them. Why? Because these guys have size, polish, skills, and are NFL ready. All three of the top guys will need time to adjust (Harvin especially imo) but that doesnt mean other players arent going to be ready sooner. Look at guys like Harry Douglas, Eddie Royal, Jodry Nelson, Donnie Avery, Josh Morgan and others. What do they have in common? They were four year players in college. They busted their butts for four years, all had at least two years starting and its showing as they are off to better starts then guys like Hardy, Sweed, and Thomas.

I have a drafting theory when it comes to WR, if you want an immediate impact go towards senior WR, but if you want a higher cieling go with a Junior. I have no doubt that James Hardy is going to be a good WR in this league but he's going to take time. Adding an Aaron Kelly would be incredible for this offense imo. My theory is not 100% accurate, but no draft theory is, but it is a solid one. There will be exceptions of course.

bigbub2352
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a scenario
We can go after a LBer in the darft rds 1-3 and get a starter or go after a FA like Suggs, or Dansby both are FAs i like going after a LBer in FA that way our D doesnt take a step back

We can go after a DE premium pass rusher in rd 1, and trade Schobel for a 2nd rd pick and not resign Denney i know this creates a depth issue but both are just eating salary cap space, Schobel is a jerk and seems like he doesnt care to much about much other than his pay check plus picking Ellis in the 3rd round last year and the emergence of Bryan helps this scenario
Center needs to be addressed in the Draft in the 3rd Rd take best Center available
And TE needs to be the opposite pick of were we take the DE, so if we go DE in the 1st u go TE in the 2nd or Vice versa
With the emergence of Hamden who can fill the number 2 role we can sign a vet to be the three like Shane Matthews did or draft a late rd propect as well

Also somewhere in the draft lets take a real FB someone who plays the position the way it is suppossed to be played, we lost out on Karney who is a beast in NO and we could have drafted him late, as well as Hedgcock, and Schmitt this year all contrbute in the passing and rushing game and on ST and all were late round picks
I am sick of picking up garbage form other teams to fill the position if your gonna have one get a real one

DBs need to be resigned Greer and and Youboty and RBs Jackson and DE Bryan all needs to be resigned in the offseason as well as Dig for depth

Also most of these moves wont break the bank unless we go after a LBer like Dansby or Suggs i prefer Dansby he is very underated young and has great size

This all can be done also sign a vet OLineman for the interior as well

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Getting a #2 would involve a fairly large long-term contract. Is that a good idea? If an older guy (like a Galloway or maybe Isaac Bruce) is available maybe one of them would take a 1 or 2 year deal.

While I agree that competition is good (Never said it was not), spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR is not a good idea. And after that, it is highly unlikely to get a player ready to go right now.

#2 WR is down my list: DL, OLB, C, TE and maybe Safety.

I dont want Galloway or Bruce, I want a guy who we draft to come in now and play and then be Reed's eventual replacement. I want a guy who we can roll out there on third down and put into the slot who has size who can get to the marker. I have little faith in Parrish as a consistent reliable target as a WR, I dont think many do. I have no doubt that Hardy will eventually blossom into a #1 or #2 WR in this league, but he's going to take a lot of time. See the post above for my theory on this.

alohabillsfan
10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
DB, who can we get in the mid to late 20's that can roll right in? I don't think we take a reciever with rd 1 hell, I would bet money on it! My way early prediction would be in order of most likely to occur;

1a) TE 55% The team was activley trying for Gozales. Good Value can be had.
1b) DT 30% Need a failed McCargo replacement. See above.
1c) C 10% Most likely rd 3 or 4 with the Dukester holding down the pos.
1d) DE 5% No real blue chippers fall this late.

jimbohastle51
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
i think unless we get a bargain in free agency we draft a LB high priority, since mitchell got a good chuck of change and pos within the next 2 years will be getting a monster extension we wont be paying a top free agent at that position. we will have a rookie LB come in i think. now C i could see us spending some serious change on in FA if a good one is available same as TE if we already tried to throw the farm at KC in terms of the trade senario for gonzo we are willing to pay BIG time for a TE so we could make a trade for one (winslow) or sign a high profile FA. we are going to bring in a QB but knowing the bills it will be a low profile guy like holcomb or nall type, not a harrington or mcown or brunell type. i think in closing that the biggest aquasition we make is going to be TE. the front office has already shown its there biggest concern by trying to trade for such a high profile one during the season. but i think our first round pick is going to be a LB giving that fact that we are going to have a mid to late round 1st pick, i think and i know this is early but brandon spikes from florida would be awesome for us, he can play inside and out and is a top linebacker prospect and rey manuluga and larinitis will be gone in the top 10. so the offseason preview from my point of view would be as follows....

trade for gonzo (this could be revisited, and dont think that if we go to the playoffs and evans and edwards make the probowl that all of the sudden gonzo wont be like ok please let me go there)
draft with our first pick.. brandon spikes LB-florida
sign best avialable center (whoever that may be)
with our second and third round pick draft a Center and a TE to learn behind our newly aquired TE and Center
and then twords the end of free agency find a cheap backup QB like tim rattay (good game manager and has enough starts under his belt to warrant playing time if needed)

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
My target would be one of either TE Jermaine Gresham or OLB Aaron Curry. I think both go higher however then we pick so Im thinking a DE maybe Hardy, or Middleton? We could even go OG if we wanted to, though I think its a wasted pick to a degree.

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
My target would be one of either TE Jermaine Gresham or OLB Aaron Curry. I think both go higher however then we pick so Im thinking a DE maybe Hardy, or Middleton? We could even go OG if we wanted to, though I think its a wasted pick to a degree.

Just say it.

Higher than 32nd.

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Just say it.

Higher than 32nd.

Not in a million years.

jimbohastle51
10-21-2008, 03:10 PM

hardy out of ole miss is a good pass rusher but not a complete DE, he will be a solid 2nd or 3rd rounder. gresham out of oklahoma will be the top TE i think coming out this year because he can block and is a great route runner and gets separation. the good thing is that if we do go TE in the first no TE will go high in the first this year so gresham ver well could be sitting there in the late 20's where it looks like we'll be picking.

DraftBoy
10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
hardy out of ole miss is a good pass rusher but not a complete DE, he will be a solid 2nd or 3rd rounder. gresham out of oklahoma will be the top TE i think coming out this year because he can block and is a great route runner and gets separation. the good thing is that if we do go TE in the first no TE will go high in the first this year so gresham ver well could be sitting there in the late 20's where it looks like we'll be picking.

Hardy is a complete DE and will go Round 1, and Gresham likely goes between 15 and 20, I dont see him lasting till our pick.

ServoBillieves
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't see OLB as a glaring need. We have 5 very suitable LB's for next year (assuming Crow is gone) in Poz, DiGiorgio, Ellison, Mitchell, and Bowen. I'd take a third or fourth round flyer on that or find a suitable FA pickup to fill in for Crow.

Center is a need, but to immediately grab one out of FA or the draft would be tough, since they run the line and would have to learn a brand new system... Kinda like that Melvin Fowler guy...

Tight End, Defensive End, or OLB are the three things I see for the first round. Chris Ellis has shown nothing, and although I said that OLB wasn't a huge need, I don't really see any HUGE needs on this team that could immediately be fixed in the first rounds of the draft. If Maualuga and Laurianitis are gone by the time we pick, then I see us going...

1) DE
2) TE
3) C
4) OLB
5) QB
6,7) Depth.

It's way too early in the year to be thinking about that stuff, though, I'll give you my thoughts after we win the Super Bowl :up:

mindlabyrinth
10-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Alex Mack anyone?

jpdex12
10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Alex Mack anyone?

Maybe we end up drafting anywhere from #22-#27.

We need to find a way to trade up to get Curry who might last until #15-#18

Aaron Curry is an OLB that should be able to slide right in like Poz. I think this year is the year we use a pick ot two to improve a draft pick. We go after quality not quantity to improve a position of need not fill a hole.

Then hopefully Chase Coffman TE in round two

Alex Mach C in round three

Tommie Harris DT in FA from the Bears

Someone like Grossman as a #2 QB in FA

Confused
10-22-2008, 04:29 AM
we wont draft a WR, although I'd love to have Harvin.
Hardy will start next year.
I hope we take a shot @ Suggs should the Ravens not resign him. doubtful tho.

Confused
10-22-2008, 04:30 AM

Aaron Curry is an OLB that should be able to slide right in like Poz. I think this year is the year we use a pick ot two to improve a draft pick. We go after quality not quantity to improve a position of need not fill a hole.

grossman? why dont we keep jp?

X-Era
10-22-2008, 06:23 AM

Your post is exactly the way I was thinking.

There isnt jack squat at C, except Matt Birk but hes ancient.

At TE, Leonard Pope is the only guy that stands out and he isnt exactly a bigtime threat.

At LB you have Suggs and Karlos Dansby. I have watched Dansby and im not impressed. He doesnt play with as much heart as you would like.

In the Draft, and in the early rounds, your looking at:

C- Alex Mack

Antoine Caldwell

Jonathan Luigs

TE- Jermaine Gresham- my favorite, but a junior who may not declare

Travis Bekum- really just a big receiver, he cant really block much, hes a Winslow clone

Chase Coffman- may have the most upside because hes a complete TE, he reminds me of Jason Witten

Pettigrew has off the fiedl issues, he may be out

Jared Cook- is a stronger Bekum type, hes also a junior

OLB- Aaron Curry- the top OLB at this point
Brian Cushing- I think hes getting too much credit
Marcus Freeman- doesnt play with as much heart as he could
Sean Weatherspoon- A active playmaker
Tyrone McKenzie- im indifferent to him

Thats just me.

DraftBoy
10-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Alex Mack anyone?

In Round 3 sure, but any earlier is too early.

DraftBoy
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM

Id take that for sure, doubt we splurge on Harris, but Grossman makes a lot of sense for us.

DraftBoy
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM
grossman? why dont we keep jp?

Because JP won't resign here...

clumping platelets
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
T.J. Houshmanzadeh will be UFA after the season :nod:

jamze132
10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think we need to worry about drafting a WR next year, maybe in RD6 or 7 though. We still have this guy we selected who hasn't played yet who had a pretty good pre-season.

I think we should take the best OLB or DE with our first pick. Leaning more towards OLB. If we do, the best DE or OL should be our 2nd pick.

Lexwhat
10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
T.J. Houshmanzadeh will be UFA after the season :nod:

He would be the PERFECT fit for this offense!! Add him, a stud tight end, and a center, and our offense is 100% complete.

I can only dream ...

yordad
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I highly doubt he'll ever wear our uniform again, after what he pulled prior to the opener.

He can easily be replaced within the first 3 rounds of the draft, let alone FA.I highly doubt he continue to be a Bill too, but I don't think replacing him will be easy. Well, I guessed it depends on what your definition of "replaced" is. Because when I hear "replaced" I think "as good or better".

Could you please tell me the name of a FA OLB that is as good or better then Crowell?

Could you please tell me the name of a FA TE that is as good or better then Royal?

Could you please tell me the name of a FA C that is as good or better then Preston (who I think will be starting by years end)?

Hey, admittedly, I am not a FA/draft expert. But, I think it would be nice to have upgraded a position predraft. I mean, look at our last draft. Although it looks promising, it hasn't done much thus far.

I think Crowell is one of the top OLB. I figure if we take a top LB first in the draft, we won't get a top TE. Then we likely won't get a top center in round three.

But again, I think the chances of have Crowell next year are about zero. But, putting the transition tag on someone cost nothing. Unless of course they are gonna but it on Fred Jackson.

Lexwhat
10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
But again, I think the chances of have Crowell next year are about zero. But, putting the transition tag on someone cost nothing. Unless of course they are gonna but it on Fred Jackson.
I'm curious. Why do you keep advocating for the Transition Tag? It is of absolutely no benefit to us in this case. All we do is simply get a chance to match an offer from another team. If Crowell signs with that team (by us not matching the offer), we get NO compensation.

We don't even want Crowell, we wouldn't match the offer, so who cares about the transition tag?

As for Fred Jackson, he's going to be a restricted free agent. That in itself is better than a transition tag. All we have to do is offer him a high tender. Thus, not only do we get to match any offer he receives from another team, but we also get a high draft pick in return if we don't match that offer.

yordad
10-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm curious. Why do you keep advocating for the Transition Tag? It is of absolutely no benefit to us in this case. All we do is simply get a chance to match an offer from another team. If Crowell signs with that team (by us not matching the offer), we get NO compensation.

We don't even want Crowell, we wouldn't match the offer, so who cares about the transition tag?

As for Fred Jackson, he's going to be a restricted free agent. That in itself is better than a transition tag. All we have to do is offer him a high tender. Thus, not only do we get to match any offer he receives from another team, but we also get a high draft pick in return if we don't match that offer.I want Crowell. And, although all signs point to the Bills not wanting him, all that "evidence" is hearsay and speculation.

He is the best available FA OLB, and he will come back 110% healthy. Also, they never use the transition tag and I think it serves a good purpose. And, with him sitting the year on IR, we could probably afford to match an offer. Maybe that was some sort of semi-illegal pre-meditated move by the Bills.

I forgot Jackson was restricted. I guess I meant to say Greer.

jimbohastle51
10-22-2008, 11:53 PM
what crowell will get in free agency we will not match. we made pretty big money for mitchell and poz will have to get paid after next year if they dont do what they did for kyle williams and go ahead and extend him after the season, so you can bet that crowell replacement is going to be a really high draft pick. now at TE we already tried to make a trade for gonzo and offered a pretty steep package according to shefter from NFLN so if we are will to spend it in $ as well as picks than when free agency comes we might be the highest bidder to the best available TE or we might make a big trade for one since our front office obviously views it a top priority. i think TE is going to be either trade or big FA and OLB is deffinatly going to be draft i mean if we want a mediocore FA we have that already with ellison so i just think the draft is the only way to keep paying mitchell and give poz an extension long term while still filling out the 3rd LB spot for the next 4-5 years. this team is obviously making all the moves to stay competitive for the forseable future not just win now.

DraftBoy
10-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I don't think we need to worry about drafting a WR next year, maybe in RD6 or 7 though. We still have this guy we selected who hasn't played yet who had a pretty good pre-season.
I think we should take the best OLB or DE with our first pick. Leaning more towards OLB. If we do, the best DE or OL should be our 2nd pick.

That doesnt concern you any??

tampabay25690
10-23-2008, 07:17 AM
which will be top priority in free agency and which in the draft??? opinions please... also does anyone know the upcoming free agents at these positions at seasons end??
Man for having a pretty good team and being #1 in the EAST there always seems to be people trying to find things wrong....

WHO CARES right now...
There are weaknesses on every team...

jimbohastle51
10-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Man for having a pretty good team and being #1 in the EAST there always seems to be people trying to find things wrong....

WHO CARES right now...
There are weaknesses on every team...

if your not always looking to improve your team and you get complacent and say hey my team is fine forget looking ahead and you know SCOUTING players and free agents, you will never win championships, at least not consistantly. you should always look to improve your team and the thread was for players for next year. and by the amount of people that are enjoying sharing there opinions in the thread i would say that alot of people think we need help at a few positions.

jamze132
10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
That doesnt concern you any??
Why would it? There isn't really room for him on the field. Obviously, the Bills wanted to give Hardy an extended look while Roscoe was out. Johnson will get his chance sometime this season. It's a numbers game, don't read into it.

Lexwhat
10-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I want Crowell. And, although all signs point to the Bills not wanting him, all that "evidence" is hearsay and speculation.

He is the best available FA OLB, and he will come back 110% healthy. Also, they never use the transition tag and I think it serves a good purpose. And, with him sitting the year on IR, we could probably afford to match an offer. Maybe that was some sort of semi-illegal pre-meditated move by the Bills.

I forgot Jackson was restricted. I guess I meant to say Greer.

Fair enough. It's only my opinion that the Bills will sever all ties with Crowell, but I can't say with certainty since I obviously don't work there.

As for the transition tag, I feel that teams have been staying away from that because of the "poison pills." Remember that Steve Hutchinson situation between Seattle and Minnesota??

jimbohastle51
10-25-2008, 03:55 PM
just saw the matt birk will be a UFA at seasons end. is there a better player that fits the bills character wise as well as being at a dire position of need better!?!? he is a harvard guy, jauron is yale and he is a very well respected smart player who doesnt talk trash in the media at all. perfect fit for us. god he would make our oline elite.

yordad
10-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Remember that Steve Hutchinson situation between Seattle and Minnesota??No(?).

Lexwhat
10-25-2008, 07:44 PM
No(?).

Well, Steve Hutchinson (currently Guard for the Vikings) used to play for the Seahawks. Right after Hutchinson became an UFA with Seattle, the Seahawks put the transition tag on him.

As you probably know, the original team must match an offer sheet EXACTLY if they want to retain the player.

The Vikings then signed Hutchinson to a tricky offer sheet for 7 years and $49 million dollars. But that offer had a "Poison Pill," and it said that Hutchinson must be the highest paid offensive-lineman on the team, otherwise the entire $49 million would become guaranteed.

Since Walter Jones of the Seahawks was already the highest paid, there is no way they could have guaranteed that much money. So the Seahawks couldn't match and Hutchinson left.

IMO, I think that's the reason why transition tags aren't used that much anymore by NFL teams. I have no facts to back that up -- it's just my view.

X-Era
10-25-2008, 07:53 PM
just saw the matt birk will be a UFA at seasons end. is there a better player that fits the bills character wise as well as being at a dire position of need better!?!? he is a harvard guy, jauron is yale and he is a very well respected smart player who doesnt talk trash in the media at all. perfect fit for us. god he would make our oline elite.

Hes 32.

Hes the ONLY Fa C thats worth a crap. No, Id rather draft a guy like Mack and resign Preston.

X-Era
10-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Im watching the LB prospects every week and I think that, at least at OLB, theres a significant drop off after Curry. Freeman and Cushing are probably the next tier, but Iwouldnt draft either until the 2nd at the earliest and with Freeman, I wouldnt touch him until at least round 3.

However, I think there are 3 TE's that are all right there together. Pettigrew, Coffman, and Gresham all are the tops. I would add in Beckum but hes so weak at blocking...

Pinkerton Security
10-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Im watching the LB prospects every week and I think that, at least at OLB, theres a significant drop off after Curry.

However, I think there are 3 TE's that are all right there together. Pettigrew, Coffman, and Gresham all are the tops. I would add in Beckum but hes so weak at blocking...

Ya, I watched Pettigrew today and the dude is more athletic than all the rest, IMO. He looked money. I would love to have that guy on my team. Cant say I looked for him enough to szie up his blocking skills but hes ridiculously athletic for a guy who is 6'6" 250.

X-Era
10-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Ya, I watched Pettigrew today and the dude is more athletic than all the rest, IMO. He looked money. I would love to have that guy on my team. Cant say I looked for him enough to szie up his blocking skills but hes ridiculously athletic for a guy who is 6'6" 250.

Gotta disagree on the athletic comment.

Coffman is the same style player that Jason Witten is. Hes not as athletic as far as 40 time, but he gets open, drags tackler, and has very good blocking skills.

Gresham is faster than Pettigrew but isnt quite as well built. However, hes a better receiving threat than Pettigrew because he will get open quicker. Pettigrew is a bit better of a blocker with that soild, stocky build. But, Gresham can block really well.

I think Gresham is the better athlete of the two, but Pettigrews size/speed and blocking make him a really good prospect none the less.

Conuficus
10-25-2008, 08:14 PM
If those are your needs you may look for a guy like A.Q. Shipley later on in the draft at C. He's a scrappy guy, who I think is undervalued. He locks on well, knows the game and tries to play with great position. He can be walked back but that mey be helped by the right type of conditioning program. Penn State is notrious for producing guys with less than stellar functional strength - especially in their lower bodies.

Another guy I'd be afraid to see in Buffalo is Travis Beckum. He doesn't block a ton, but he's better than Dustin Kellar who the Jets took last year. He is a great pass catcher an dmay be a valuable asset for you guys to stretch the field. Robert Royal is a good enough option to block as well catch but Beckum would create a mismatch with any LB you try to cover him with.

Honestly, I could see James Laurrinaitis being kicked outside in your scheme. He may not be the best fit for the LOLB spot, but he can cover well enough to get the job done. I don't find him very good at stacking and shedding, rather he'll try and use his athleticism to run around blockers. He typically gets into the right hole, but he very easily be kicked outside. Johnathon Casillas may be another option, he could use to gain some weight but he is active and all over the field.

Getting a good backup G wouldn't hurt either.

X-Era
10-25-2008, 08:22 PM
If those are your needs you may look for a guy like A.Q. Shipley later on in the draft at C. He's a scrappy guy, who I think is undervalued. He locks on well, knows the game and tries to play with great position. He can be walked back but that mey be helped by the right type of conditioning program. Penn State is notrious for producing guys with less than stellar functional strength - especially in their lower bodies.

Another guy I'd be afraid to see in Buffalo is Travis Beckum. He doesn't block a ton, but he's better than Dustin Kellar who the Jets took last year. He is a great pass catcher an dmay be a valuable asset for you guys to stretch the field. Robert Royal is a good enough option to block as well catch but Beckum would create a mismatch with any LB you try to cover him with.

Honestly, I could see James Laurrinaitis being kicked outside in your scheme. He may not be the best fit for the LOLB spot, but he can cover well enough to get the job done. I don't find him very good at stacking and shedding, rather he'll try and use his athleticism to run around blockers. He typically gets into the right hole, but he very easily be kicked outside. Johnathon Casillas may be another option, he could use to gain some weight but he is active and all over the field.

Getting a good backup G wouldn't hurt either.
Ive watched all of them.

Shipley can play, but I think C is critical enough that we ought to be addressing it in the first 3 rounds. Alex Mack is my favorite, Luigs seems to be able to play well.

Beckum is the next Winslow type and that style is becoming more and more envogue. Personally, Id prefer a bit better build and ability to block ala Gresham.

Lauranitis is mobile, maybe he could play OLB, but hes likely to go to a team thats looking for a smaller ILB that can move around. Probably a solid 3-4 ILB.

Casillas is so undersized that Ihave toi wonder if he can hold up. If we were willing to go undersized Id rather go after someone like Rico McCoy who seems to have abit more heart.

I think we can land a solid C and TE in the 1st 3 rounds, Im really worried about OLB. Outisde of Curry, who may go before our pick, there isnt anyone who seems to be a stud in the making.

Conuficus
10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Ive watched all of them.

Shipley can play, but I think C is critical enough that we ought to be addressing it in the first 3 rounds. Alex Mack is my favorite, Luigs seems to be able to play well.

Beckum is the next Winslow type and that style is becoming more and more envogue. Personally, Id prefer a bit better build and ability to block ala Gresham.

Lauranitis is mobile, maybe he could play OLB, but hes likely to go to a team thats looking for a smaller ILB that can move around. Probably a solid 3-4 ILB.

Casillas is so undersized that Ihave toi wonder if he can hold up. If we were willing to go undersized Id rather go after someone like Rico McCoy who seems to have abit more heart.

I think we can land a solid C and TE in the 1st 3 rounds, Im really worried about OLB. Outisde of Curry, who may go before our pick, there isnt anyone who seems to be a stud in the making.

Gresham isn't that great a blocker. He does it on occasion, but for the most part he looks for the pass. The offense Oklahoma runs means he doesn't have to hold the blocks for very long, and it helps him. If you're looking for a solid blocker he may not be the guy. Chase Coffman neither.

You could take Danell Ellerbe might mke the conversion too. Laurainitis doesn't stack and shed well, and if you are looking for an ILB for the 3-4 he better be able to do that. I mean those ILB's have to be able to absorb blockers pretty well, and then get by them. Clint Sintim will be coveted by teams who play a 3-4. Chances are he'll get kicked inside on a few teams that run a 3-4 unless he went to the Steelers, then he'd probably stay outside.

If you personally want a beafier TE then look at guys like Bear Pascoe, or Ryan Purvis. John Phillips would be more solid than spectacular, but you can get some decent guys in the middle rounds.

Alex Mack to me is very tall when he plays. He sits very upright in pass pro, and can be easily bull rushed. He keeps his head on a swivel, but he doesn't slide as well as you'd like. The run game shows that he needs better leg drive, and he allows his man to slip off more than you'd like. He doesn't seems very powerful to me to be honest. Antoine Caldwell is a more powerful player than Luiggs, who is better in pass pro by a good margin.

I have a sneaky suspicion that by the time it is all said and done Shipley will be ranked a lot higher than he is right now. But thats just my opinion.

X-Era
10-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Gresham isn't that great a blocker. He does it on occasion, but for the most part he looks for the pass. The offense Oklahoma runs means he doesn't have to hold the blocks for very long, and it helps him. If you're looking for a solid blocker he may not be the guy. Chase Coffman neither.

You could take Danell Ellerbe might mke the conversion too. Laurainitis doesn't stack and shed well, and if you are looking for an ILB for the 3-4 he better be able to do that. I mean those ILB's have to be able to absorb blockers pretty well, and then get by them. Clint Sintim will be coveted by teams who play a 3-4. Chances are he'll get kicked inside on a few teams that run a 3-4 unless he went to the Steelers, then he'd probably stay outside.

If you personally want a beafier TE then look at guys like Bear Pascoe, or Ryan Purvis. John Phillips would be more solid than spectacular, but you can get some decent guys in the middle rounds.

Alex Mack to me is very tall when he plays. He sits very upright in pass pro, and can be easily bull rushed. He keeps his head on a swivel, but he doesn't slide as well as you'd like. The run game shows that he needs better leg drive, and he allows his man to slip off more than you'd like. He doesn't seems very powerful to me to be honest. Antoine Caldwell is a more powerful player than Luiggs, who is better in pass pro by a good margin.

I have a sneaky suspicion that by the time it is all said and done Shipley will be ranked a lot higher than he is right now. But thats just my opinion.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Coffman and Gresham can both block well for what a TE would be asked to do anyways.

As I said Coffman is alot like Witten and I think most would feel hes plenty good enough of a blocker as well as a receiver.

No one can argue with Greshams production and when you watch those games, you see him make and sustain blocks long enough to spring RB's and on occasion his QB. I think hes got everything you want as a receiver and everything you really need as a blocker.

Converting LB'ers is something ive been talking about for a while now. But I think DB is right, why move them.

OLB is a real concern. Crowell is gone. Dansby and Suggs are the best UFA's but Dansby skips plays or just goes through the motions at times and Suggs is going to cost a fortune which doesnt seem to be our style. Im a big Curry fan, but after that its a crap shoot. Mckenzie has shown flashes, neither Freeman nor Cushing impress me much. Weatherspoon is a guy I like, but hes a bit thin. Sintim hasnt done much of anything this year IMO. I want him to succeed but he just never seems to show that hes a game changer or even bigtime playmaker. Spikes is a guy I like alot, but he may not be able to move outside. Id rather move Lauranitis, but hes likely a top 10 pick.

jimbohastle51
10-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Hes 32.

Hes the ONLY Fa C thats worth a crap. No, Id rather draft a guy like Mack and resign Preston.

just because mack is a good NFL center doesnt mean he will be around when we pick and he wont be a first rounder. everyone pumped ryan khalil up when he came out of USC saying he was the best center to come out and yada yada yada.... he was a mid second round pick. the best 2 of the best rated centers from last years draft didnt even get drafted till the 5th and 6th round... mike pollack and jamey richards (colts both of them). i will take a 32 year old birk all day for 2-3 years while we are on our run to a championship and draft your mack or whatever prospect is around in the 3rd or 4th.

X-Era
10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
just because mack is a good NFL center doesnt mean he will be around when we pick and he wont be a first rounder. everyone pumped ryan khalil up when he came out of USC saying he was the best center to come out and yada yada yada.... he was a mid second round pick. the best 2 of the best rated centers from last years draft didnt even get drafted till the 5th and 6th round... mike pollack and jamey richards (colts both of them). i will take a 32 year old birk all day for 2-3 years while we are on our run to a championship and draft your mack or whatever prospect is around in the 3rd or 4th.

It could work and many teams do just that; dont get me wrong.

I just don't think it fits the Bills style. They sign guys on the right side of 30, or get players through the draft.

Could he do the job? Sure. But for how long and then what?

Why is drafting a C 2 years from now better than drafting one this year?

I hope you dont mean we should pay for Birk AND draft a C in the 1st 3 rounds. They wont invest that much in one spot, they almost never do.