• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbohastle51
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2005

with our three glaring needs TE, OLB, AND CENTER

which will be top priority in free agency and which in the draft??? opinions please... also does anyone know the upcoming free agents at these positions at seasons end??
  • Sportsuser101
    • Feb 2005

Re: with our three glaring needs TE, OLB, AND CENTER

can we wait til this year is over with yet? i know i like to look at the draft ahead of time but free agency? plenty of things can happen before years end.
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
      !?!?!?!?!?
      • Mar 2006

OLB then resign CBs then TE then backup QB then DE then C

Comment

• Sportsuser101
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
        OLB then resign CBs then TE then backup QB then DE then C
        Right now I think center is our biggest need. Fowler is awful and Preston looked pretty decent this week but he got a ton of help.
        Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

I don't know about any good FA Centers or Strong-Side LBs, and I would prefer to get them through the draft anyway.

For TEs, I saw the FA list, but the only name I noticed was Leonard Pope (6'8" TE for Cardinals). He may be worth a look, as he is only 25 and a great Red Zone target. Not sure if the Cards will re-sign him, as they have too many defensive needs.

I hope we stick to our philosophy and re-sign our own players (Fred Jackson, Peters, Greer). We may even give Stroud more money.

I don't see us getting any more than 1-2 impact players through free agency (and no big names). Some LB and O-Line depth would be nice.

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Man, seems LB is the position where you can get the most immediate impact. But, it also seems it is the only spot were we could find something better in FA.

Transition tag Crowell.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Griff
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by yordad
              Man, seems LB is the position where you can get the most immediate impact. But, it also seems it is the only spot were we could find something better in FA.

Transition tag Crowell.
              well if there aren't any rookies worth their picks we can always trade the picks.

Comment

• clumping platelets

we also still need a premium pass rusher at DE and a legitimate #2 WR

Comment

• Griff
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                  why do people continue to hate on Reed, or forget that we drafted Hardy?

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                    Transition tag Crowell.
                    I highly doubt he'll ever wear our uniform again, after what he pulled prior to the opener.

He can easily be replaced within the first 3 rounds of the draft, let alone FA.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Griff
                      why do people continue to hate on Reed, or forget that we drafted Hardy?
                      Did you see the "crack-back" block that Reed had on Lynch's TD run? His block opened the way for Whittle, Dockery and Jackson to get outside ahead of Lynch. It was terrific. And, he made a really nice, big catch on the FG drive after Mitchell's INT.

As for the draft:

It is hard to find good pass-rushing DEs, especially late in the first round when the Bills are likely to be picking next draft. The best pass rushers go in the Top Ten these days and one only drops into the late first or early second if there is some kind of serious issue with him (ie P.Merling, who was so injured that he didn't participate in The Combine, etc. and there were doubts about whether he would be ready at the start of the season, who still went early in the 2nd Round to Miami). So, it might be hard for the Bills to find a "sure-thing", premier pass rusher in the draft.

Outside LB, on the other hand, is a position where it is relatively easy for a rookie to step in and have an impact pretty much right away.

It's obvious that the Bills have no intention of bringing A.Crowell back next season and, with the injury to J.DiGiorgio, they are thinner than thin at the position. So, I can definitely see the Bills making this a priority position in the up-coming draft.

I can also see center being a priority, especially since M.Fowler's good relationship with JP Losman is no longer a factor in how the Bills coaches will evaluate whether to keep or replace Fowler. The problem is that the center makes all of the line calls and it does take rookie offensive linemen, especially centers, longer to be ready to play in the NFL. I doubt that the Bills' coaches would want to rely on a rookie to man the position when they will be expecting the team to be an even bigger contender than it is this year. I can see them possibly drafting a center, but only if they keep either Fowler or Preston (which might involve more years than they'd like) to man the position until the guy they draft is ready to start--which might not be until his second season. If they bring in a free agent to play center, why not spend the money to sign the best one available? And, if they do that, then there would be no reason to put a high priority on drafting a center. They could draft one to develop behind the free agent signing in the middle to late rounds.

Depending on what D.Fine shows the rest of the season, I can also see tight end becoming a priority for the Bills in the draft. I think that they like Royal more than the fans do and I think that Schouman has cemented a spot on the roster with his blocking and his ability to fill in at FB, as well as his special teams play. But, their interest in T.Gonzales indicates that at least some of the coaches feel that they can get even more out of the position if the team has a TE who is able to stretch the field some. There are going to be some TEs in this upcoming draft that can give them that who should be available when they are likely to be drafting in the first and second rounds. There isn't likely to be that level of talent available at the position in the free agent market--although it sounds like K.Winslow III desperately wants to get out of Cleveland ASAP.

Finally, don't forget that, with JP Losman leaving in free agency, the Bills are going to need to bring in another QB. I think we all agree that Hamdan isn't likely to be the long-term answer as Edwards' # 2 QB. The question is whether the Bills will opt to sign a free agent # 2 QB or try to draft and develop one. Considering how little interest they seemed to have in the crop of free agent QBs this past offseason, I would tend to think that they will probably look to draft a QB in the middle-to-late rounds. There are some QBs who may be in this draft that I think might fit their requirements and be available then. I can definitely see the Bills using a 3rd-5th round pick to get a good propect to develop as their # 2 QB of the future.

But, of course, it is still very early--there's still a lot of season to go--and there is still alot that can impact just what positions the team will feel are its greatest priorities to fill this coming offseason.
                      Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                        With Evans extended and Hardy here, there will be no investment in a #2 WR.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• methos4ever
                          • Apr 2004

Jason Brown, Baltimore Ravens is a free agent after this year. He was an RFA last year I hoped we'd pursue - as he is a great, great asset for that Ravens line.

If the Ravens re-sign Suggs, they cannot afford to keep Brown and/or Bart Scott (another option in FA to pursue) which would be a fantastic add to our linebacking corps.

I think, much like the past two years, they are going to target a few of the needs in FA to avoid getting a rookie. I think this year, with C, TE, OLB, OL/DL Depth and perhaps CB and FS they will try to target C, OLB and perhaps FS (Atogwe perhaps?) in FA and the rest in the draft...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            With Evans extended and Hardy here, there will be no investment in a #2 WR.
                            Thats a mistake then. Hardy is nowhere near ready to be a #2 in this league. If a good senior were to fall who could be ready to play now, but has a lower cieling it would not be a smart idea to pass on him because we are developing another guy. Plus compeition is always good.
                            COMING SOON...
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                              I don't know about any good FA Centers or Strong-Side LBs, and I would prefer to get them through the draft anyway.

For TEs, I saw the FA list, but the only name I noticed was Leonard Pope (6'8" TE for Cardinals). He may be worth a look, as he is only 25 and a great Red Zone target. Not sure if the Cards will re-sign him, as they have too many defensive needs.

I hope we stick to our philosophy and re-sign our own players (Fred Jackson, Peters, Greer). We may even give Stroud more money.

I don't see us getting any more than 1-2 impact players through free agency (and no big names). Some LB and O-Line depth would be nice.

I believe Pope is an RFA this year, not a UFA.
                              COMING SOON...
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X