PDA

View Full Version : Some points on the Dolphin-Raven game

Sportsuser101
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
*The Dolphins run alot of plays out of the shotgun position and out of the wildcat formation. It's alot of trickery on offense. Lots of fake reverses., double fake handuffs, dumb off passes, very different offensively.

*Pennington almost never throws the ball past the 1st down marker. Several times during the game including on the 30 yard line going in on 4th down and 7 Pennington threw the ball 4 yards to Cobbs and the Baltimore defender made an open field tackle. The play before they ran a double fake end around to Ginn who only got 3. Pennington had a big yardage day but he missed some big opportunities and they never put him a tough spot.

*Brown and Williams did absolutely nothing. 44 combined total rushing and recieving yards. It was against the best defense in the NFL however. Cobbs had a good day catching the ball.

*Camarillo is a nice little player. He doesn't do anything great but he always seemed to get open. Ginn is terrible at running routes and getting off the line. He has great speed and has superb quickness but if you can't get open then they're useless. They seem to like Bess alot especially in the redzone. They went to him 4 times in the redzone including his touchdown catch. He's got some quickness.

*Martin and Fasano are good targets at the tight end position for Pennington who uses them alot. 12 passes completed to his tight ends and running backs.

*The offense line did well against the pass but they did throw alot of quick, short passes to avoid the rush. Suggs got at Pennington once and there really wasn't too much pressure because of the quickness of the release.

*The Dolphins could not get off the field on 3rd down. In particular it was 3rd and 22 and they threw a dump off to McGahee and he made the 1st down before fumbling in the redzone at the end of the play.

*The Ravens ran the no huddle most of the game so it really effected how much pressure they got on Flacco. Besides Porter they really didn't put much pressure on him at all. We could really exploit that secondary going no huddle.

*McGahee had a strong game and the Ravens ran counter plays because the Dolphins continued to over pursue. Rice had a good game as well catching the ball and almost breaking a couple on kick returns.

*We should beat the Dolphins and they didn't look all that impressive at home against the Ravens but the Ravens defense is very strong and they did throw for almost 300 yards. Look for an unorthodox offense and an over pursuing defense. All in all this time uses alot of trickery. Final score of the Buffalo game 34-20 Buffalo wins.

Bufftp
10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
great post! Very interesting observations, thank you.

Sportsuser101
10-21-2008, 10:40 AM
great post! Very interesting observations, thank you.

No problem. Didn't see the game live but watched the DirecTv short cuts in which it shows every play but doesn't wait for the player to get back up or the teams to line up. It goes right to the next play. It's done all in 30 minutes so it wasn't that difficult to evaluate the game but thought I would share it since I know alot of you guys don't have access to it.

trapezeus
10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
awesome post. it's cool to get a scouting report like this from fans who get to watch the team we play next.

can you imagine the bills running the 2 minute drill to get the wrong matchups, or do you think the bills dictate their whole ball control offense?

Sportsuser101
10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
awesome post. it's cool to get a scouting report like this from fans who get to watch the team we play next.

can you imagine the bills running the 2 minute drill to get the wrong matchups, or do you think the bills dictate their whole ball control offense?

I think it honestly depends if Schobel, McGee and Youboty play. If they do play I can see them running the no huddle offense alot since they would have more of a pass rush and a deeper, stronger secondary so they wouldn't mind keeping their defense out there that long. If 2 or more don't play I can't see them using it that much cause the depth of the defense wouldn't be that strong so they would want their offense on the field as much as possible. Not saying that they normally don't try to do that but its even more important with these injuries. No matter how effective it was with Baltimore it might not be smart of us to run it with those injuries. Baltimores defense is not only better then ours but it would be deeper as well.

trapezeus
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I think it honestly depends if Schobel, McGee and Youboty play. If they do play I can see them running the no huddle offense alot since they would have more of a pass rush and a deeper, stronger secondary so they wouldn't mind keeping their defense out there that long. If 2 or more don't play I can't see them using it that much cause the depth of the defense wouldn't be that strong so they would want their offense on the field as much as possible. Not saying that they normally don't try to do that but its even more important with these injuries. No matter how effective it was with Baltimore it might not be smart of us to run it with those injuries. Baltimores defense is not only better then ours but it would be deeper as well.

true about the defensive injuries dictating the desire to have a couple 3 and outs early. but i've always thought that Edwards looks like he has complete control of the offense and that a no huddle attack for him would make a lot of sense. Especially if the other team is relying on multiple subsitutions. i think you put out a 4 receiver set early, get the nickel package in, and then you might be able to open the run a whole lot.

I really think that the bills could out gun the dolphins and it might be worth the risk.

Sportsuser101
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
true about the defensive injuries dictating the desire to have a couple 3 and outs early. but i've always thought that Edwards looks like he has complete control of the offense and that a no huddle attack for him would make a lot of sense. Especially if the other team is relying on multiple subsitutions. i think you put out a 4 receiver set early, get the nickel package in, and then you might be able to open the run a whole lot.

I really think that the bills could out gun the dolphins and it might be worth the risk.

If you notice when the Bills spread the offense out and run an inside draw its usually a very effective play especially in the shotgun. It's very similar to when Bledsoe was on the team with Price, Moulds and Reed on the outside and running the inside draw with Henry. It was always very effective and Henry along with the rest of the offense had a big year that year.

dplus47
10-22-2008, 01:48 AM
jason ferguson went down with a rib injury, at which point mcgahee started to gash them. the b/u nose tackle, paul soliai, was suspended for the game. even with the b/u in place vs. the bills, the phins don't stop the run w/o ferguson. that man is the key to miami's run D.

Oaf
10-22-2008, 02:02 AM
I spotted Camarillo as the next Crebet/Welker at the end of last season. Same number and skin tone as Welker too!