PDA

View Full Version : So What is Bills' Big Change on Defense in Bye Week?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Tackling.

I read the players said during the bye that they went back to the baiscs and focused on tackling. And it really showed the past Sunday. They stopped Chargers a couple of times on 3rd and short because of tackling. They kept them on 2nd and long. Even Dick went out said in his post game that he's really happy with the team tackling.

They really need that in Miami. We know Pennington is not going to beat you deep. A lot of short/underneath stuff that he can complete accurately. Just come up and make a sure tackle and we'll be fine. We also know Brown and Williams are going to run a lot. Again tackle well when you have a chance, just don't do the stupid whiffs like in Arizona.

I know it's easier said than done, but I really believe if our defense can tackle as well as they did like last Sunday, the Dolphins can be easily contained. Against the Cardinals and Chargers, defending against big plays is a top priority. Against the Dolphins we should have everything in front of you without much trouble. Just don't over commit/pursue.

Mitchell55
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Trent Edwards

Goobylal
10-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Trent Edwards
Trent doesn't play defense. And despite being at home, having 2 weeks to prepare, great protection, and playing the 2nd worst passing defense in the NFL, the fact that he was only able to lead the Bills to 6 more points than JP did on the road, off the bench, against a much better defense, is disconcerting.

Mitchell55
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Trent doesn't play defense. And despite being at home, having 2 weeks to prepare, great protection, and playing the 2nd worst passing defense in the NFL, the fact that he was only able to lead the Bills to 6 more points than JP did on the road, off the bench, against a much better defense, is disconcerting.

If you saw the post I posted a month ago, I showed proof that our D plays better with Trent than JP.

mchurchfie
10-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Better tackling and Fewell grew a set and played them more aggressively at the right times.

justasportsfan
10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
If you saw the post I posted a month ago, I showed proof that our D plays better with Trent than JP.
If this is the case then the D has to do it's job when they are on the field and stop worrying about the O. They should worry about what they have control over. Don't tell me that TOP affects the D this year because they didn't do squat in the from the 1st 2 quarters vs. the cards when the O was scoring points.

Billsfan3
10-21-2008, 06:08 PM

The difference is we win with Trent at qb

Nighthawk
10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
The biggest difference was that the Bills offense held the ball. Let's not forget that SD was able to move the ball pretty effectively.

camelcowboy
10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Edwards keeps the d rested and off the field.

trapezeus
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
as much as i'd like to enter another losman TE thread, i'm actually just going to say that the key for the defense is 3rd down conversions. it's still a problem and it's frustrating. at least for the last two games, they've let a lot of 3rd downs go. if they lost this SD game, we'd all be talking about it.

TigerJ
10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I think it is a pretty normal practice for teams to use the week before the bye to reinforce some of the fundamentals, like tackling. I think that is why teams coming off their bye win a pretty decent percentage of their games.

Griff
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM

sorry but Trent makes the whole team better, thats why he already has as many wins as JP, because Trent simply wins.