PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Everrett research paper back

BillsWin
10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I am a sports journalism and broadcasting major in college and I wrote and presented a 10 page research paper on Kevin Everrett. All from his perspective, and present it as if I was him.

I really got his message of hope across and got a lot of good feed back from the audience. I had some good questions asked about Everrett's injury and what he went through to get better.

I'm happy to say I got an A on it (not that it matters, I enjoyed the project.) just thought I'd share the project with you guys.

-Go Bills!

Heres a tidbit:

Kevin Everett: A Story of Success
By Chris Wescott

“When someone gets hit on the field, that’s the No. 1 thing they want to do- put the thumb up to let everyone know it’s not that bad. But, I couldn’t do that” (Carchidi 1). Hello, my name is Kevin Everett. On September 9<SUP>th</SUP> 2007, my life changed forever, in the blink of an eye. While attempting a tackle on a kickoff, I hit an opposing player, fell to the ground, and couldn’t get up. I suffered a neck injury, and was paralyzed. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t tell people I was ok. I wasn’t ok. This is my story, my message to you all. Through hard work, perseverance, effort, and relationships, you can overcome impossible odds.
September 10<SUP>th</SUP> 2007, the New York Times read, “Chance of Recovery for Bills’ <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Everett</st1:place></st1:City> is “Bleak” (Chance of Rec.). Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told reporters my chances were “bleak or dismal.” I suffered a fracture dislocation between the third and fourth cervical vertebra. This caused injury to both my spine and spinal chord. Dr. Cappuccino is the lead doctor for the Buffalo Bills in regards to spinal and neck injuries. Once I was loaded into the ambulance, Dr. C was pushing mild hypothermia. It was something he had been testing with and learning about, that was entirely experimental. Dr. Cappuccino figured that the rapid cooling of the body to reduce metabolic demand and to prevent further damage from swelling (Layden 8). Luckily for me, Andrew had unconventionally instructed the Bills EMTs at the games to stock the ambulances with three saline bags in a cooler. When I was brought to the hospital, they put me in an MRI and determined that my spinal cord was 70-75% compromised (Layden 9-10). I was then put through emergency decompressive surgery. This was done to prevent pinching of the spinal cord (Brown). After the surgery, I was placed on a respirator, and a drug induced state. Prior to the drugged state, I started to feel a small sensation in my extremities and could move my limbs slightly, and voluntarily. But I wasn’t out of the woods yet. The doctors that completed the surgical procedure made sure people realized this. “This young man suffered a potentially lethal and grave injury. So we are still gravely concerned” (Brown). Dr. Cappucino had said this after my surgery, and after I had small signs of improvement. After a few weeks of family visits, team visits and lying under strict surveillance, I could move. I began a rough task of being able to sit up in bed. But, at the end of September 2007, with the help of Darryn Attkinson, my physical therapist, I was beginning to work on moving from the sitting position, to standing. And eventually, I could stand. It was only for a minute or two, or else the blood would rush to my head (Carchidi 100), but, I could stand. And with the help of some more physical therapy and a few more weeks’ time, I would be attempting to walk. It was incredible. It went from a small chance at survival or mobility, to attempting to walk. No one saw this coming. Three long months after the injury, I was walking unaided at a slow pace (Layden).
Throughout the rehabilitation process it was a lot of hard work and determination that helped me succeed. All that people kept saying was that I would never walk again. I had months to go of tough rehab. Exercises, weights, pool rehab, and even just trying to walk would be excruciating and very tough. Sometimes my only task would be, lifting a very small pile of plates on a chest press to strengthen my upper body (Layden). And while the sounds of weights clashing, is very familiar to a football player, this was entirely different. The mental aspect of the rehab process was really hurting me too. There was a doctor who walked by with a football in the gym (Layden) and I was immediately reminded that I would never play my game again. I kept going, working hard, trying to accomplish the impossible. Not only for me, but for my family, my team, and for the people who suffered this same injury as I. I was determined to walk on my own, without supervision or assistance. So I continued my tough workout regiment, doing squats until my neck hurt and I had to lie on the floor (Carchidi). I could have just quit, but I had the determination to take my second, “first steps”. Way back in 1983, my mother got to witness my first steps. In 2007, she got to witness them again.

Typ0
10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
if you're going to share it...then share it don't gloat about it. I bet it would make a nice addition to the site as an article.

shelby
10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Good for you!

i think the Everett story is inspirational. Thank God the Bills staff had such excellent training!

patmoran2006
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Where do you go to school ?

TEtoLeeTD
10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
people in oklahoma know about the buffalo bills ???

madness
10-21-2008, 04:00 PM

I'd assume there's a lot of Bills fans in Oklahoma considering they probably still "circle the wagons".

:jk:

TigerJ
10-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Very nice! Did you spell his name correctly in your paper?

BillsWin
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
if you're going to share it...then share it don't gloat about it. I bet it would make a nice addition to the site as an article.

ok ill. post alittle bit of it.

BillsWin
10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Where do you go to school ?

university of central oklahoma.

Heres alittle bit of it:

“When someone gets hit on the field, that’s the No. 1 thing they want to do- put the thumb up to let everyone know it’s not that bad. But, I couldn’t do that” (Carchidi 1). Hello, my name is Kevin Everett. On September 9<SUP>th</SUP> 2007, my life changed forever, in the blink of an eye. While attempting a tackle on a kickoff, I hit an opposing player, fell to the ground, and couldn’t get up. I suffered a neck injury, and was paralyzed. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t tell people I was ok. I wasn’t ok. This is my story, my message to you all. Through hard work, perseverance, effort, and relationships, you can overcome impossible odds.
September 10<SUP>th</SUP> 2007, the New York Times read, “Chance of Recovery for Bills’ <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Everett</st1:place></st1:City> is “Bleak” (Chance of Rec.). Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told reporters my chances were “bleak or dismal.” I suffered a fracture dislocation between the third and fourth cervical vertebra. This caused injury to both my spine and spinal chord. Dr. Cappuccino is the lead doctor for the Buffalo Bills in regards to spinal and neck injuries. Once I was loaded into the ambulance, Dr. C was pushing mild hypothermia. It was something he had been testing with and learning about, that was entirely experimental. Dr. Cappuccino figured that the rapid cooling of the body to reduce metabolic demand and to prevent further damage from swelling (Layden 8). Luckily for me, Andrew had unconventionally instructed the Bills EMTs at the games to stock the ambulances with three saline bags in a cooler. When I was brought to the hospital, they put me in an MRI and determined that my spinal cord was 70-75% compromised (Layden 9-10). I was then put through emergency decompressive surgery. This was done to prevent pinching of the spinal cord (Brown). After the surgery, I was placed on a respirator, and a drug induced state. Prior to the drugged state, I started to feel a small sensation in my extremities and could move my limbs slightly, and voluntarily. But I wasn’t out of the woods yet. The doctors that completed the surgical procedure made sure people realized this. “This young man suffered a potentially lethal and grave injury. So we are still gravely concerned” (Brown). Dr. Cappucino had said this after my surgery, and after I had small signs of improvement. After a few weeks of family visits, team visits and lying under strict surveillance, I could move. I began a rough task of being able to sit up in bed. But, at the end of September 2007, with the help of Darryn Attkinson, my physical therapist, I was beginning to work on moving from the sitting position, to standing. And eventually, I could stand. It was only for a minute or two, or else the blood would rush to my head (Carchidi 100), but, I could stand. And with the help of some more physical therapy and a few more weeks’ time, I would be attempting to walk. It was incredible. It went from a small chance at survival or mobility, to attempting to walk. No one saw this coming. Three long months after the injury, I was walking unaided at a slow pace (Layden).
Throughout the rehabilitation process it was a lot of hard work and determination that helped me succeed. All that people kept saying was that I would never walk again. I had months to go of tough rehab. Exercises, weights, pool rehab, and even just trying to walk would be excruciating and very tough. Sometimes my only task would be, lifting a very small pile of plates on a chest press to strengthen my upper body (Layden). And while the sounds of weights clashing, is very familiar to a football player, this was entirely different. The mental aspect of the rehab process was really hurting me too. There was a doctor who walked by with a football in the gym (Layden) and I was immediately reminded that I would never play my game again. I kept going, working hard, trying to accomplish the impossible. Not only for me, but for my family, my team, and for the people who suffered this same injury as I. I was determined to walk on my own, without supervision or assistance. So I continued my tough workout regiment, doing squats until my neck hurt and I had to lie on the floor (Carchidi). I could have just quit, but I had the determination to take my second, “first steps”. Way back in 1983, my mother got to witness my first steps. In 2007, she got to witness them again.

BillsWin
10-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Very nice! Did you spell his name correctly in your paper?

Yes. EVERETT.

sorry I added the extra R. I type fast.

BillsWin
10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I am a sports journalism and broadcasting major in college and I wrote and presented a 10 page research paper on Kevin Everrett. All from his perspective, and present it as if I was him.

I really got his message of hope across and got a lot of good feed back from the audience. I had some good questions asked about Everrett's injury and what he went through to get better.

I'm happy to say I got an A on it (not that it matters, I enjoyed the project.) just thought I'd share the project with you guys.

-Go Bills!

Heres a tidbit:

By Chris Wescott

Thats the first couple of pages. I really dont want to post all of them. But I hope you enjoy a little bit of reading. Remember it is in first person like I was him. Enjoy.

BillsWin
10-21-2008, 05:49 PM

I was born in Rochester. and now they do. thanks to me!

Lexwhat
10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey nice work!