PDA

View Full Version : Edwards entering upper echelon

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Bills head coach Dick Jauron is never one to gush about his players. He gives credit where it is due, and always describes his team as a hard working group that genuinely likes the game. But it was hard even for Jauron to repress the pleasure he took in watching <NOBR>Trent Edwards</NOBR> this past Sunday.

“That was really impressive,” Jauron said of Edwards after Buffalo’s win over San Diego. “That was really impressive. The guys is just a good football player. A very, very good football player.”

Edwards had just finished the most accurate passing day in team history with a completion percentage just over 83 percent (25-30) with a touchdown and no turnovers for the fourth time in six outings.

He’s only played from start to finish in five games this season, but very quickly Edwards’ weekly performances have vaulted him to the top of the league’s quarterback rankings board.

Entering Week 8, Edwards stands second in the league and first in the AFC in completion percentage (69.7%), fourth in the NFL and second in the conference in quarterback rating (98.8) and second in the league and first in the AFC in fourth quarter quarterback rating (133.1).

Link. (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/edwards-entering-upper-echelon/176c181d-3665-41e4-b8a4-bc7b3e8a122b)

BAM
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I think I just figured out who I'm voting for in the Presidential election next month.

Typ0
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
We're totally set with this guy if he stays on the field. It's about time.

Inetpub
10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
lets all hear it. put jp back in!

j/k. :) Go trent!

justasportsfan
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
definitely looks like we found Kelly's replacement.

ublinkwescore
10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
After what we've seen so far from Trent Edwards, would it surprise anyone to see him surpass Jim Kelly as our all-time greatest QB?

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Let's not go that far yet.

justasportsfan
10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
After what we've seen so far from Trent Edwards, would it surprise anyone to see him surpass Jim Kelly as our all-time greatest QB?
it all depends on the team around him. If they continue to grow better with Trent and the FO doing a good job bringing in reinforcements every year then chances are he could .

Typ0
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM

the guy that is in there when we win the championship is the guy that does that...so, yeah, I think he'll surpass him this season.

shelby
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Blasphemy!

But it could happen.

RockStar36
10-21-2008, 03:01 PM

I'd like to see at least one full season with him at QB before I make any sort of statement like that. Jim Kelly was a very special player.

jdbillsfan
10-21-2008, 03:45 PM

If he wins a super bowl, he will.

DMBcrew36
10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Hopefully Trent will always be a better person off the field than Jim Kelly is... some of you might know what I'm talking about...

madness
10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
When you critique this guy it's so easy to overlook he's not even through his second year yet and is on his second offense. Yes, Turk did a lot of work to ease the players into his philosophy such as keeping some of the same terminology but what happens when "the light finally goes on"? It might be fair to put out a public announcement to the rest of league to be ready for embarrassment.

I laugh thinking of the bashing he took by our own fans in his ROOKIE season! It's really hard not to get excited about this guy especially when he does everything so right.

Everybody is quick to acknowledge (and rightfully so) his lighting quick release or how fast he goes through his reads but that's not what amazes me. Considering what he had to go through in college, it's his pocket presence that absolutely confounds me. Excluding H.S, I'm not even sure he's had ever been in an actual pocket @ Stanford. Where did he get that calmness... the ability move and avoid defenders while his eyes continue to scan down the field? This guy should be as close to shaken as a Vietnam war vet for the beating he took in college(I so bad want to compare who he should like, but I digress).

Sorry Jimbo...Bruce... we never thought we'd develop a man crash faster then the ones we had on you... but you both have to admit you never came along this fast. It might be the loneliness we had to endure for so long but Trent Edwards has swept us off our feet and we don't plan on letting go. We just hope for a long and healthy career so we can see where Trent takes us.

thenry20
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
If he wins a super bowl, he will.

No, not just 1. Let's say he only makes that 1 appearance, yet wins, and never goes back again with the team, IMHO, he will not have surpassed those 90's Bills.

2 on the other hand, well................................................................................

SABuffalo786
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
No, not just 1. Let's say he only makes that 1 appearance, yet wins, and never goes back again with the team, IMHO, he will not have surpassed those 90's Bills.

2 on the other hand, well................................................................................

Totally disagree. If Trent wins a ring here, he's automatically our greatest QB.

raphael120
10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
So...you don't think our defense just tossed in the towel against the Cards when Trent went down? I think it has something to do with.

Granted the team success hasn’t all been Edwards, but in a quarterback-driven league, he’s made a big difference. So much so that some of his teammates believe had he not been hurt on the third play of the game at Arizona in Week 5, they might have an unblemished record.
“We didn’t make it an excuse, but we believe that if we would have had Trent that entire football game, it would have been a different outcome,” said defensive co-captain <nobr>Donte Whitnerhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/img/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/donte-whitner/e9a05bf2-0ea7-4ef4-9882-e6e7730540b3/)</nobr>.

Mr. Miyagi
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
I think I just figured out who I'm voting for in the Presidential election next month.
Minimum age is 36 I think.

Griff
10-21-2008, 06:17 PM

his major was political science, and Butler worked with Jack Kemp during the offseason. Pretty awesome republican ticket.

BAM
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
his major was political science, and Butler worked with Jack Kemp during the offseason. Pretty awesome republican ticket.

Perhaps. Trent has said he was voting for Obama though.

DynaPaul
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM

That proves how smart he is.

Tatonka
10-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Just so it is official. Please give me one helping of crow. I never said I hated trent or that he definately wasnt the answer, but I was a doubter. I doubted his arm strength.. his toughness.. and his ability to play in weather.. but at this point I am about 95% sure that he is going to turn this franchise around ... and for the first time in a long time, i dont watch the game nervous about what could happen from the qb position.

I have a man crush on trent edwards.

HAMMER
10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
One championship from Edwards and Co. will make a lot of people forget Kelly and Co. and our four super bowl losses.

Tatonka
10-21-2008, 11:38 PM
i dont think you forget, but it sure would be a hell of alot easier to swallow.

trapezeus
10-21-2008, 11:45 PM
i thought about this on sunday night. can you imagine handing over the reigns of "greatest bills team" to dick jauron, trent edwards, marshawn lynch etc, from the guys we've given that title to 15-20 years ago? it would be so odd, but it would be great.

i also think it reinforces our love for kelly, thomas, levy etc. i think in some ways it would be like having two kids instead of just one.

Griff
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Believe it or not some Republicans don't vote down party lines, some actually use their brain to make the best decision.

Dujek
10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
So far Trent Edwards is the best QB we've seen in a Bills uniform since Kelly retired, but he hasn't been the starter for a full season yet so it's a bit early to anoint him as the successor to Kelly's throne.

Still, he does seem to be a bit good, doesn't he?