PDA

View Full Version : 7/11

northernbillfan
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
We need to be worried about this particular stat. The Chargers were 7-11 FOR 63% on third downs. In the Arizona game the Cards were 9-15 for 60%.

If this trend continues, the Bills will be in trouble. Hopefully they can get the percentages back in there favor this weekend.

OpIv37
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
so much for those amazing third down percentages we had after the first four weeks.

madness
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Two of the top offenses in the league will do that to you.

northernbillfan
10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Arizona can be excused as the D was on the field for a long time in that game

justasportsfan
10-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Arizona can be excused as the D was on the field for a long time in that game

they don't get excused for sucking. They were on the field longer by their own doing from the start of the game to the very end.

This D is in danger vs. teams that have great short to medium range passing since we tend to play underneath the LB'ers because we are more concerned about preventing big plays.

Dujek
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
so much for those amazing third down percentages we had after the first four weeks.

The Bills still have a pretty amazing 3rd down percentage. 33%, for 3rd place in the league. The Bills don't have to face an offense with the pure ability of the Chargers or Cardinals for the rest of the season, so the numbers should return to their previous levels.

There are plenty of other impressive stats to take from that game:

No sacks allowed
3 takeaways, no giveaways
Held the Chargers to 72 yards on the ground
Edwards 25 of 30 for 261 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTs.

Keep looking on the bleak side, I'm sure some day you'll be able to say "I told you so", because the Bills will certainly lose a few more games before the end of the season, but this Bills team is for real and is going to the playoffs.

trapezeus
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
i think the 3rd downs are also due to us modifying our secondary for the McGee injury. We can't leave leodis on his own yet. And we still need a guy over the top. it leaves a lot underneath. and our LB's are needed in blitz's to get pressure. At least that's how it came off to me in the cards and chargers games.

i honestly think in the next 3 weeks our front 4 are going to be more effective. Particularly against the weakened Pats Oline.

northernbillfan
10-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Keep looking on the bleak side, I'm sure some day you'll be able to say "I told you so", because the Bills will certainly lose a few more games before the end of the season, but this Bills team is for real and is going to the playoffs.I hardly ever look on the bleak side and do not run around with an 'I told you so attitude'. I'm nbf not Op.

Dujek
10-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I hardly ever look on the bleak side and do not run around with an 'I told you so attitude'. I'm nbf not Op.

Yeah, but I was replying to Op.

justasportsfan
10-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I hardly ever look on the bleak side and do not run around with an 'I told you so attitude'. I'm nbf not Op.
It's your fault. you gave OP a reason to take a shot at our team after a win vs. a good team (i'm sure Op will find a way to talk down the chargers after gettting beat by the lowly bills) .

northernbillfan
10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but I was replying to Op.Sorry I missed the quote. I didn't even see Op replied to this thread.

mchurchfie
10-22-2008, 09:56 AM
they don't get excused for sucking. They were on the field longer by their own doing from the start of the game to the very end.

This D is in danger vs. teams that have great short to medium range passing since we tend to play underneath the LB'ers because we are more concerned about preventing big plays.
It's that wonderful Cover Two defensive scheme. I ****ing hate it, the only thing worse was Jerry Gray's defensive schemes.

Dujek
10-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Sorry I missed the quote. I didn't even see Op replied to this thread.

I keep thinking about putting him on ignore too, but sometimes he actually has a point.

justasportsfan
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
It's that wonderful Cover Two defensive scheme. I ****ing hate it, the only thing worse was Jerry Gray's defensive schemes.It really works as long as we are getting penetration from our DT's. Vs. the cards Stroud and Williams disappeared. They showed up vs. the chargers. I think we need to play every 2 weeks.

mchurchfie
10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Two of the top offenses in the league will do that to you.
Agreed, but if we are going to make any kind of a run in the PO's and call ourselves PO contenders we need to fix it because we will probably encounter them again on the way to the top.

mybills
10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
McGee hasn't played in the others. Yes, he's that good!

BillsOverDolphins
10-22-2008, 01:01 PM
The title of this thread made me crave a slurpee and some taquitos

madness
10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Agreed, but if we are going to make any kind of a run in the PO's and call ourselves PO contenders we need to fix it because we will probably encounter them again on the way to the top.

You're not going to completely fix it. That's why they're the top offenses in the league and everybody they play seems to have the same problem. All that matters is the 'W' in the end. Please see SD game.

Bills Juggernaut
10-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I would have to say that McGee being out has had a bigger impact than any of us realized. I think he is a very underrated CB who makes a big difference to this D. I think if he had played last week, the Charges would have only had 2 FG's instead of 2 TD's.

trapezeus
10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
i think you are right about mcgee. mcgee can hold his own and greer is a great number 2 DB. leodis gets back to the bench and is fresh for kick returns. The safeties and roam a little more. and i think the overall strength of the secondary holds for a second longer to make our front 4 look good.

The way it is now, the bills have gotten away with their modified package, but i don't know if they would have been effective if they had to play in SD.