X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

How to stop the Wildcat formation

Steve Mariucci did a great job of explaining and showing exactly what the Ravens did to shut down the Dolphins Wildcat formation last week.

It's all about gap control, not overpursuing, and staying in your lanes/gaps and being disciplined.

From an offensive stanpoint, the Wildcat is predicated upon the ball carrier finding a lane somewhere down the line as he carries the ball. That's why having sound, gap control is so important. The more gaps that are filled, the less available lanes there are to run through.

Granted, we don't have as good of a front 7 as Baltimore, but the Bills can definitely play that type of defense (sound, gap control, and disciplined). If I'm Perry Fewell, I would shift to almost a goalline front when I see this formation. Put extra bodies in gaps and plug everything up between the tackles. Then, play zone defense behind it so the DBs can come up and support the edges.

And by the way, if Chad Pennington lines up as a wideout, he's fair game. I'd jack his ass up as soon as the ball was snapped.

I'm not worried about Miami beating the Bills with this, but here's the blueprint laid out by Baltimore (starts at 2:30 into the vid):
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bc7c08
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: How to stop the Wildcat formation

why even bother covering Pennington, coach? even if he catches it, our guys can close in on him in a hurry, and he'll most likely slide before getting hit.

does it make sense to just leave him open and let a CB come rushing in?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus
      why even bother covering Pennington, coach? even if he catches it, our guys can close in on him in a hurry, and he'll most likely slide before getting hit.

i know this was directed at coach but you can just leave a guy WIDE open, uncovered. it'd be too easy to just toss the ball out there, essentially conceding an absolute minimum of 5 yards

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Put a DB on him and knock the **** out of him. Every single time. Hell, put Scott or Whitner on him and make him see stars. Pound the crap out of him for 5 yards.

Make the Dolphins think twice about the formation. The DB can be an extra contain guy too while doing that.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

I think Sal means Hines Warding Chad.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Hitting Pennington isn't for the purpose of that play. It's for the next play when he lines up behind center.

Hammer him.

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

I would never leave a guy uncovered under any circumtance.

He's still an eligible receiver regardless of how unathletic or untalented he may be. I don't care if it's Martin Gramatica, I'd still make sure he is accounted for.

In the case of Pennington, he's still an NFL QB, which means he does have enough athletic ability to make a play if he's left all alone.
              Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

If he lines up as a reciever, sliding isn't gonna protect him. He becomes fair game and gets hit like any wr.

You never leave anyone open or they may end up gettting a TD like Denney.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Simple: Put Donte on Chad when he's split wide. Instead of playing patty-cake with him at the line... lay him out! Take the 15 yarder, and I guarantee they never run that formation again against us.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

What 15 yarder?

Once he is out wide he is as fair game as Ted Ginn.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
                      Simple: Put Donte on Chad when he's split wide. Instead of playing patty-cake with him at the line... lay him out! Take the 15 yarder, and I guarantee they never run that formation again against us.
                      I'd rather Poz. Whitner hasn't impressed me with his hits.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Pride
                        • Jul 2002

I wasnt talking about a legal hit necessarily. I'm talking forearm to the helmet type of hit... something to leave him laying on the ground for a few extra seconds... then when he does stand up... he runs over to the sidelines immediately and tells them to never run this again today.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                          • Sep 2004

I wasnt talking about a legal hit necessarily. I'm talking forearm to the helmet type of hit... something to leave him laying on the ground for a few extra seconds... then when he does stand up... he runs over to the sidelines immediately and tells them to never run this again today.
                          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

I don't think you'd really be willing to trade off an extra hit on Pennington for a 2-game suspension, would you?
                            Click to listen:

Comment

• mchurchfie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                              And by the way, if Chad Pennington lines up as a wideout, he's fair game. I'd jack his ass up as soon as the ball was snapped.
                              That might deter them from doing it a little. I'd put a LB on him just to make sure he gets a good chuck off the line.
                              My Band
                              daveviterna.com

Comment

Working...
                              X