PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Should Start

buffalony85
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
This is not a Lynch bashing thread, but I believe Lynch would be more effective if we brought him off the bench after having Jackson soften up the defense. It's obvious that Jackson is a far more instinctive runner than Lynch and I believe Lynch's 1-2 yard runs in the begining of games slows our offense down, bringing Lynch in on short yardage plays and having him fresh in the second half would turn his 1-2 yard runs in the first two quarters into 8-15 yard runs in the second half once the defense is tired and simply will not be able to bring him down (much like Marion Barber with Parcells and Wade's 1st year in Dallas), just a suggestion, your thoughts...

syracuse76
10-22-2008, 07:47 PM
no..........i like jackson but no. running lynch up the middle 85% of the timeis starting to get old. he has gained most of his yards when bouncing out to the outside. i say run more sweeps and more tosses to the outside and utilize his skills. if you look up any clip on him even from college any big yard gains are from the outside.

ALL D
10-22-2008, 07:48 PM
This is not a Lynch bashing thread, but I believe Lynch would be more effective if we brought him off the bench after having Jackson soften up the defense. It's obvious that Jackson is a far more instinctive runner than Lynch and I believe Lynch's 1-2 yard runs in the begining of games slows our offense down, bringing Lynch in on short yardage plays and having him fresh in the second half would turn his 1-2 yard runs in the first two quarters into 8-15 yard runs in the second half once the defense is tired and simply will not be able to bring him down (much like Marion Barber with Parcells and Wade's 1st year in Dallas), just a suggestion, your thoughts...

I have been thinking this for a while now... give jackson a legit shot, he deserves it..

mayotm
10-22-2008, 07:49 PM
No. Hell no. No.

hydro
If they do that it will seem as if Lynch is a bust. I don't think they ever do it for that fact.

buffalony85
no..........i like jackson but no. running lynch up the middle 85% of the timeis starting to get old. he has gained most of his yards when bouncing out to the outside. i say run more sweeps and more tosses to the outside and utilize his skills. if you look up any clip on him even from college any big yard gains are from the outside.Yeah of course but i'm just saying the same inside running plays where Lynch simply hasn't learned where the cutback lanes are going to be are easy 4-5 yard runs for Jackson.

BillsWin
10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Lynch goes in, pounds the rock. Tires the defense. Creates an advantage. In comes Jackson. He takes advantage of the tired D, and he gets better yards per rush. But Lynch is the workhorse and #1.

Jackson is what we call a "change of pace back".

buffalony85
10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
If they do that it will seem as if Lynch is a bust. I don't think they ever do it for that fact.Lynch looks like a bust averaging 65 yards a game, I would like to see him coming into the second half of games fresh so he can break the long runs.

mayotm
10-22-2008, 07:52 PM
If they do that it will seem as if Lynch is a bust. I don't think they ever do it for that fact.That has nothing to do with it. They won't do it because Lynch is a superior player. Jackson does a nice job in his role. Why can't everybody just be happy with that?

mayotm
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
This actually reminds me of when many Bills fans felt Darrick Holmes should be the #1 back. How did that turn out?

Stewie
10-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Lynch is the starting running back. That said, I'm not at all opposed to Jackson getting more first half carries, and giving the rock to marshawn 15 times in the second half.

SquishDaFish
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Lynch is and will be the starter for years to come

Mad Bomber
10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
I LOVE Freddy Jackson (see my thread on this subject).

That said, it is Marshawn that makes him a more effective runner, and not the other way araound. It is ML that "softens up" defenses, and not the other way around. Fred Jackson is not a runner who wears down defenses.

Marshawn makes yardage despite poor blocking....he can make a no gain into a 2-3 yard game just because of his AMAZING leg drive...this guy ALWAYS falls forward.

Fred Jackson is a runner (and pass receiver) who is better in space. You can't compare him to Marion Barber....ML is more like Barber...a BULL.

Saratoga Slim
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I LOVE Freddy Jackson (see my thread on this subject).

That said, it is Marshawn that makes him a more effective runner, and not the other way araound. It is ML that "softens up" defenses, and not the other way around. Fred Jackson is not a runner who wears down defenses.

Marshawn makes yardage despite poor blocking....he can make a no gain into a 2-3 yard game just because of his AMAZING leg drive...this guy ALWAYS falls forward.

Fred Jackson is a runner (and pass receiver) who is better in space. You can't compare him to Marion Barber....ML is more like Barber...a BULL.

Exactly. Not to take anything away from Freddie--I love the guy, but if Marshawn went down and it was purely the Freddie Jackson show, I don't think he'd be nearly as effective as he is in his current change-of-pace role.

Nighthawk
10-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't think you could do that. I like Jackson and I do believe that Lynch needs to change somethings with his running style, but you can't start Jackson. What they need to do is work with Lynch on how to read his blocks better...he just doesn't seem to have a feel for finding the hole...no matter how small it may be.

Mad Max
10-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Marshawn AND Jackson are both excellent backs. They would be a dominant 1-2 punch on a team whose OL could actually run block.

We need one Steve Hutchinson type in the interior of the OL, G or C I don't care. That one all-pro type piece and this unit is transformed into a Broncoesque (when TD and Olandis were there, not now) unit.

BillsWin
10-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Marshawn AND Jackson are both excellent backs. They would be a dominant 1-2 punch on a team whose OL could actually run block.

We need one Steve Hutchinson type in the interior of the OL, G or C I don't care. That one all-pro type piece and this unit is transformed into a Broncoesque (when TD and Olandis were there, not now) unit.

whose in your sig?

DMBcrew36
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
It won't matter who is running the ball if the line can't start CONSISTANTLY opening up holes. They opened up one or two last game, but it's few and far between.

Regardless, Lynch alllllll the way (though I'm not taking anything away from Action Jackson).

CUHATIN
10-22-2008, 10:21 PM
No.

PECKERWOOD
10-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Nah, Lynch is the better back, PERIOD. Still got lots of love for Jackson though.

jamze132
10-23-2008, 04:32 AM
We should have them both in the backfield more throughout the game. That would keep two LBs or a S honest and would open up downfield for Evans.

TacklingDummy
10-23-2008, 06:20 AM

:clap:

I've been saying for weeks now that Jackson should be the starter.

Night Train
10-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Lynch looks like a bust

:rofl:

DraftBoy
10-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Lynch is the better running back, but Jackson is a better all-around back. What I mean by that is that Lynch sees the holes, hits the holes, and breaks tackles more effectively than Jackson, however Jackson is a better blocker, and pass catcher than Lynch. The reason Freddie is so successful is because Lynch wears them down and he finishes them off. Id like to see Freddie get some more touches but not starting. However we are going to lose Fred Jackson once he hits FA imo maybe not this year as he's only an ERFA but I dont see him signing long term when he knows he cant start. Remeber this guy is older and needs a big time pay day still. So he may take a Bills one year tender become a RFA next offseason and look at a huge payday which nets us Draft Picks.

THATHURMANATOR
10-23-2008, 07:41 AM
NOOO

THATHURMANATOR
10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Lynch is the better running back, but Jackson is a better all-around back. What I mean by that is that Lynch sees the holes, hits the holes, and breaks tackles more effectively than Jackson, however Jackson is a better blocker, and pass catcher than Lynch. The reason Freddie is so successful is because Lynch wears them down and he finishes them off. Id like to see Freddie get some more touches but not starting. However we are going to lose Fred Jackson once he hits FA imo maybe not this year as he's only an ERFA but I dont see him signing long term when he knows he cant start. Remeber this guy is older and needs a big time pay day still. So he may take a Bills one year tender become a RFA next offseason and look at a huge payday which nets us Draft Picks.
I agree with this, except I think Jackson gets enough carries. He is already getting near 10 a game.

CUHATIN
10-23-2008, 07:45 AM
I agree with this, except I think Jackson gets enough carries. He is already getting near 10 a game.

I agree Thurm, jackson get his touches. Lynch is one of the top RBs in this league and doesnt need to go for 100 yards game for us to win games.

ALL D
10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Life could be worse we could be arguing about sammy morris and antwain smith...

THATHURMANATOR
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Life could be worse we could be arguing about sammy morris and antwain smith...
Good point. I am happy to have both RBs and I think they are being used just right.

The Spaz
10-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Are you people blind? How many tackles has Lynch broken this year already to keep a drive going? Sure Jackson is a nice "change of pace" back I doubt he would have broken those tackles. Remember Lynch didn't break a long run last year until the Bengals game last year.

Patti120
10-23-2008, 08:05 AM
All I have to say is Beastmode!

patmoran2006
10-23-2008, 08:08 AM
LOL!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
This, in all due respect has to be one of the worst threads I’ve ever seen in my life. I take that back; some of the responses are actually the worst I’ve ever seen.<o:p></o:p>

Marshawn Lynch is a MAN. Let me tell you there are about 22-27 GMs in the NFL right now who would DROOL to have him in their starting lineup.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Anyone who even associated the words “Lynch” and “Bust” in the same paragraph are a joke. “65 rushing yards per game = bust”????? How about we don’t have any kind of run blocking this year.. <o:p></o:p>
Put Lynch behind an OL that blocked with any consistency and he’d probably be leading the NFL in rushing, if not right near the top of the list.<o:p></o:p>
Wow.. Don’t get me wrong, I love Fred Jackson. He’s the PERFECT backup on this team.. He’s a change of pace, and he can handle a workload if need be.. But make no mistake about it, Lynch aint coming off any benches ANYTIME soon, nor should he.. He’s the man.<o:p></o:p>

RedEyE
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Jab-jab-uppercut-right hook...

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Lynch should lessen his zigzags when he runs which is why he doesn't stretch the field much. JAckson is a straight up shifty runner. Lynch can soften/punish defenders by running at them which helps JAckson .They complement each other well.

In an ideal world, I would've hoped that Lynch could do what Jackson does and we wouldn't need JAckson to change pace.

Imo, our running game doesn't look to be any better than when Willis was here.

soapman
10-23-2008, 10:08 AM

You're an idiot....

mercyrule
10-23-2008, 10:11 AM
I always liked Jackson.

But there's no way he should start over Lynch.

EDS
10-23-2008, 10:19 AM

Didn't they already attempt to do that when they signed Dockery (who by the way is making more money then Hutchinson)?

patmoran2006
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM

LOL.

Ummm.. Why???
You stuck on stats again?

Lexwhat
10-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Marshawn Lynch is a MAN<o:p></o:p>

Whoa ... Stop playin.

mercyrule
10-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Well, he's not quite a god yet but, man, he is tough.

blackonyx89
10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
no..........i like jackson but no. running lynch up the middle 85% of the timeis starting to get old. he has gained most of his yards when bouncing out to the outside. i say run more sweeps and more tosses to the outside and utilize his skills. if you look up any clip on him even from college any big yard gains are from the outside.

You hit it right on the head, he is an outside runner! Too bad that can't
do a counter tre type offense.

Mitchell55
10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I said this last week and Ill say it again. 2nd string backs always look better than 1st stringers because they are ment take advantage of the D.

Mr. Pink
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Lynch should lessen his zigzags when he runs which is why he doesn't stretch the field much. JAckson is a straight up shifty runner. Lynch can soften/punish defenders by running at them which helps JAckson .They complement each other well.

In an ideal world, I would've hoped that Lynch could do what Jackson does and we wouldn't need JAckson to change pace.

Imo, our running game doesn't look to be any better than when Willis was here.

I would say it actually looks worse.

Marshawn while yes always falls forward when being tackled...misses cutback lanes constantly, doesn't follow his blockers and seems a split second hesitant at times.

Is he a good back? Yes. Elite? No. Would 22-27 GMs want him on their team right now, as someone else suggested? No chance in hell. Lynch is not a top 10 back in this league, at least not yet.

He's a poor man's Jerome Bettis. At least thus far in his career.

TheBrownBear
10-23-2008, 02:35 PM
My father and I have been saying this for weeks. Jackson is a more effective runner than Lynch. I love Lynch's effort but he just doesn't have the vision of a top running back. I'd split the carries at least 50-50.

justasportsfan
10-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I would say it actually looks worse.

Marshawn while yes always falls forward when being tackled...misses cutback lanes constantly, doesn't follow his blockers and seems a split second hesitant at times.

Is he a good back? Yes. Elite? No. Would 22-27 GMs want him on their team right now, as someone else suggested? No chance in hell. Lynch is not a top 10 back in this league, at least not yet.

He's a poor man's Jerome Bettis. At least thus far in his career.
He runs like Steve Jackson but Lynch is not as explossive hitting the holes. Lynch isn't a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball. I predicted Lynch's nos. would go down this year compared to last year because Fred Jackson tends to put up good numbers rather than just provide relief (Ala SHaud) which in turn gets Fred more touches and decreases Lynchs.

IMO, the skies the limit with our two headed monster if our Ol can run block better. Right now this O is more dependent on Trent. Until our running game produces as well as it did when Thurman was here or close to it , it'll be hard to sniff a sb unless Trent turns out to be the next Marino.

dmosher12
10-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I think Jackson would have the same problems as Lynch if he were the starting back. They both seem to break off the same type of long runs. They pound and pound and eventually one of them breaks away. They both seem to have the same skill set but Lynch has an added power in his. Jackson has 4.3 yards per carry compared to lynch's 3.5, but Fred is often used when both of them are out there or when the offense has already been out on the field for a while. The defense is somewhat worn down at this point and he is more likely to break off a longer run. If Jackson (39) had as many carries as Lynch (110) he probably would have a 3.5ish ypc as well.

All in all I don't think starting Fred would be of any benefit because Lynch has a very similar skill set plus power.

soapman
10-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Still feel the same after Jackson's dismal performance in the Red Zone Sunday? How many of you called for Marshawn after 2 failed runs on the goaline?

Buffalogic
10-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Marshawn should have been in there at the goaline and would have if we hadn't have gotten dinged up. There was no other option besides Jackson.

Did you see Marshawn's td run? He got to the endzone on talent alone!! Saying this guys isn't good is so ridiculous. If we had any help for him whatsoever he would be destroying the league!!

HHURRICANE
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM

He must be a Lynch hater like me.:snicker:

Sportsuser101
10-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Jackson is the better overall running back in my opinion but Lynch should be the starter. Not saying he should get more carries then Jackson but no reason to demote Lynch and shake his confidence.