PDA

View Full Version : Evans Contract Details

feldspar
10-24-2008, 05:28 AM
"The NFL Players Association website has some specifics on the $37.25 million contract extension Lee Evans recently received from the Bills. According to the site, Evans will receive a salary of $11,730,770 this season, $9 million in 2009, $5.4 million in 2010, and $3.025 million for each of the 2011 and 2012 seasons. The deal, which includes $18.25 in guaranteed money, is the richest - in average salary terms - in Bills history and makes Evans the third-highest paid receiver in the NFL."

...I got this from the "Bills Digest," the official publication of the Buffalo Bills, which is mysteriously being mailed to me. I don't know if this was posted anywhere here yet, so I thought I'd toss it in.

This is what they might refer to as a front-loaded contract. It shows we have every intention of keeping Evans here until at least the end of 2012. This is the kind of contract any player would love.

Griff
10-24-2008, 05:53 AM
and since the signing he seems to be working extra hard to earn that money

casdhf
10-24-2008, 06:27 AM
I love the front-loaded deals.

Night Train
10-24-2008, 07:12 AM
You will see lots of front loaded contracts now, with a possible strike/lockout looming after 2010.

WR Roy Williams just got a bigger deal in Dallas, set up the same way.

Coach Sal
10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
According to Rotoworld, he's also going to get a $3 mil roster bonus in 2010 (totaling $8.4 mil); a $1 mil roster bonus in 2011 (for a $4 mil total); and a $1 mil roster bonus in 2012 (for a $4 mil total).

Bills Juggernaut
10-24-2008, 07:38 AM
"The NFL Players Association website has some specifics on the $37.25 million contract extension Lee Evans recently received from the Bills. According to the site, Evans will receive a salary of $11,730,770 this season, $9 million in 2009, $5.4 million in 2010, and $3.025 million for each of the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Great.

So the only question I have is what year exactly will Evans want to redo his deal? In 2010 when he is 'only' making $5.4 million. Or will he atleast have the decency to wait until 2011 beofre holding out?

feldspar
10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Great.

So the only question I have is what year exactly will Evans want to redo his deal? In 2010 when he is 'only' making $5.4 million. Or will he atleast have the decency to wait until 2011 beofre holding out?

That thought never occurred to me.

His original deal was for 5 years, and he never held out. Maybe we'll talk again in his contract year...which is 2012, so far away that it's ridiculous to worry about. Right now, he's getting paid top money, and he's a multi-millionaire. Evans is on a team that appears to have a bright future, and we just gave him a quarterback. I think it's pretty safe to say that he's a happy man.

Are you the type of person that would complain about having to pay taxes on the million dollars you just won?

patmoran2006
10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
I love the front-loaded deals.
me 2.
Stops cap trouble.

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
This is clearly untrue. No way is he getting almost 12 million this year.

Ralph is cheap.

Saratoga Slim
10-24-2008, 08:51 AM
This is clearly untrue. No way is he getting almost 12 million this year.

Ralph is cheap.

Clump - what's our cap situation now that Evans' details are clear?

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2008, 11:51 AM
BTW, this deal is fantastic.

Ralph, Brandon and Overdorf deserve major props for getting a deal like this done. Evans and his agent too.

Fact is, barring the unforeseen, Evans will be a Bill the entire contract and will actually have lower cap hits late in the deal allowing the Bills to load up new deals for Trent, Lynch, Poz, Peters, etc to have big hits in those years.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Hate these type of deals...

What happens in 2011 when Evans is being paid the same amount of money a team's 3rd or 4th WR is being paid?

Or better yet, if we draft or sign a WR to be a number 2 to compliment him in 2011 who's making double what he is?

Do you think he'll think back to 08 and go "oh I made 12 million that year?" No, he'll think I'm making 3 million and this ass clown they just brought in is making 6. Or he'll think hey look, I'm Lee Evans and put up numbers each year and now a guy very similiar to me in Roddy White is making 8 million and I'm only making 3? Both hypotheticals...but you get the idea of my disdain for this type of contract.

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Based on history Evans does not get pissy like that.

Bills Juggernaut
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Hate these type of deals...

What happens in 2011 when Evans is being paid the same amount of money a team's 3rd or 4th WR is being paid?

Or better yet, if we draft or sign a WR to be a number 2 to compliment him in 2011 who's making double what he is?

Do you think he'll think back to 08 and go "oh I made 12 million that year?" No, he'll think I'm making 3 million and this ass clown they just brought in is making 6. Or he'll think hey look, I'm Lee Evans and put up numbers each year and now a guy very similiar to me in Roddy White is making 8 million and I'm only making 3? Both hypotheticals...but you get the idea of my disdain for this type of contract.

EXACTLY.

I'm just not a fan of front loaded contracts. When you think you have them cheap in the last couple years, you don't.

If he puts up monster numbers the next couple of years, there is no way he going to play for 3 million a year. By then, he'd be playing for about a 4th of the top WR's in the league.

If he puts up bad numbers the next couple of years, you cut him and save only 6 million of the $38 million his contract was worth. He already got the big payday upfront.

jimbohastle51
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
front loaded deals like this only work out with high character guys like evans. normally in the last year or 2 of these deals with the lower salaries is when guys like plaxico or TO start *****ing about playing at a higher level than there salary forgetting they got all there money in the first couple years of the deal and signed the contract themselves. i really think lee knows this is best for our salary cap too. think about it, his highest contract year is this year with everyone already under contract and next year too. then we extensions have to be given out he has a very managable 5.4 million in the 3rd year and gets alittle lower in the last 2 so that is very cap friendly. the guy obviously wants to win long term.

naugem
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Did the deal include any signing bonus?
Most deals include signing bonuses which are a lot of money up front, don't they?

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2008, 12:41 PM
The Bills tend to not give out signing bonuses, and instead give out guarenteed money and/or roster bonuses. Those bonuses are not spread out over the life of he deal and instead are all in the current year's cap.