X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvelous
    • Feb 2004

So i met Thurman @

a superbowl event and i bought this really nice 90's helmet. The only difference i could tell w/ the helmet is/was the Blue on the top is alot bigger now. Huge in fact compaired...But i really wanted the white helmet/same logo = no luck...

---So going into to it i had mixed emotions because living in South Fl his "payback" effected me 10x fold.. My local buddies messed with me non stop..Like custom Thurman Phin jerseys,,they even manufactured cards from print shops etc. There was always something in my mailbox at home & work place etc...And him being my favorite BILL of all time,right there w/ Bruce & pretty much the whole early 90's team.. He stood alone at the top o' my list.....
    -----So i was excited to chit chat with him yadda yadda and let by gones be bye gones....
    ---Well after BSing i asked him to personalize the helmet since it was a obvious expensive helmet. "To Steve", he said "BILLS FANS! what a surprise."
    -Well he didn't personalize it & my wife couldn't belive that this is the same guy who bled blue & red for uus for a decade...
    --So yeah, guess i'm still holding onto his Dolphins hiatus & his throwing the "super 1st down" arm extension against us when we played Miami(i attended)... I was hoping the experience with him in person who help me put that crap behind us..I didn't discuss ANYTHING whatsoever about anything Miami or negative ib general..Just his awesomeness and the Buffalo/western NY area etc etc etc.....

--So my question is WOULD YOU &/or DO YOU hold a grudge even the slightest? Not that anyone else has a horror story with him in person like i do, but just based on the way he was with signing w/ Miami etc.....The greatest Dolphin Killer in the history of Bills killing/owning Dolphins goes to Miami...
    --So i'm not hate driven or anything, nor do i ever flame ThaThurmanator etc, but it's still there faintly in memory....
    GO BILLS!!! NE
    Magical Trevor
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: So i met Thurman @

Can you re state this? I don't think I quite understand what happened here.

Comment

• cocamide
      • Oct 2006

If you, personally, were willing to give him the same amount of money that Miami gave him, and he chose Miami over you, the loyal Bills fan, then yes, you should hold a grudge.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Thurm lives in Buffalo now and is all over ads.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I hold no grudge against Thurman for finishing his career in Miami. Football was his livelihood, and if he could extend his career with the Dolphins, more power to him.

Please explain what, if anything, he wrote on your helmet, and if he really understood what you wanted him to write. He's known to be a fairly good guy and accommodating to the fans.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• thenry20
            • Jan 2004

He was my favorite Bill then and is still my all time fave. People forget, he, Reed, and Smith were released by the team. He didn't choose Miami over Buffalo; conversely, Bruce didn't pick Washington over us either.

That's an idiotic statement to make!

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

When I was a teenager, during the fast and furious days of the 4 Super Bowl run Buffalo Bills, my Dad and I made a trip down to Tampa Bay to see the Bills take on the Bucs.

Oddly enough, we lucked out and stayed in the same hotel as the Bills.

I made my Dad rush out and hit a store in order for me to buy a football and a Sharpie.

When we returned to the hotel, there were Bills players littered all over the lobby.

On one football, I have signatures from Marv Levy, James Lofton, Frank Reich, Don Beebe, Carlton Bailey, Darryl Talley, Kent Hull, and Andre Reed. (Bruce Smith didn't make the rip as he was injured that week.)

Getting to my point:

After having nearly filled the football, I spotted Thurman Thomas and approached him for an autograph, and one that would forever reside next to his repected teammates. Thurman not only flat out refused but he was rude about it. Saying something to the effect of "I have no time immature stupidity..". or something similar.

I was crushed. So much so that I just returned to my room without ever mustering up the courage to ask another player that day.

Here I was no more than 14 years of age and humiliated by a professinal football player, and one that I idolized at the time.

From that day forward I never looked at Thurman the same way again, and to this day, I am not a Thruman Thomas fan.

I do hold a grudge, and after his arrest in Cleveland I've come to the conclusion that his presence in Buffalo is his way of riding the coat tails of his past teammates - I think he's in it only to make a buck.

In my eyes, I honestly think that Thurman Thomas doesn't care for the fans, he despises them. And after reading this initial post I think that someone else reporting a negative encounter with TT only confimrs my suspicions.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                • May 2003

Oddly, my family has had the same negative experience(s) with Bruce Smith. My wife has had her picture taken with a number of Bills, including Wade Phillips, Jim Kelly, Ruben Brown and Andre Reed. She has several autographs, including Flutie on an authentic jersey. But Bruce Smith, on several occasions, refused to have his picture taken with, or give an autograph to, either my wife or youngest daughter.

Bruce was always arrogant and totally dismissive when asked. I don't really know about Thurman, but I don't like Smith much as a human being.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Griff
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  Oddly, my family has had the same negative experience(s) with Bruce Smith. My wife has had her picture taken with a number of Bills, including Wade Phillips, Jim Kelly, Ruben Brown and Andre Reed. She has several autographs, including Flutie on an authentic jersey. But Bruce Smith, on several occasions, refused to have his picture taken with, or give an autograph to, either my wife or youngest daughter.

Bruce was always arrogant and totally dismissive when asked. I don't really know about Thurman, but I don't like Smith much as a human being.
                  I remember hearing that Jim was like that too.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Griff
                    I remember hearing that Jim was like that too.
                    It's funny. We were walking through the VIP Parking lot a couple of years after Kelly retired, and he and a couple of his brothers were partying at one of the motor homes. My wife approached one of his brothers about having her picture taken with Jim, and was told something like, "Jim is eating and doesn't want to be bothered," so I said to her let's go, and leave him alone. But about that time he came out, put his arm around her, gave a big smile and had his picture taken.

Don't know if he would have done that during his playing days, however. (But all of our picture and autograph requests of Bruce were after his playing days as well.)

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

the lesson here is easy - dont make moral heros out of sports entertainers
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

Too late ... I love Kelly.
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• dmosher12
                          • Sep 2008

It sucks that the players have such egos as shown in these stories. I mean we are the reason they are getting paid so there should be complete appreciation.

Anyway I'm from Syracuse and there was the opening of a store at Carousel Mall and Jim Kelly and Anthony Mason (NY Knicks) were signing autographs. It was about 11 yrs ago or so. I was 11 and we were waiting in line for three hours. My mom made conversation with these bills fans (a couple) behind us throughout the whole wait. Eventually the time ran out before we got up there, but the people behind us knew where they were parked. The guy and I went to the parking garage and caught Kelly and his driver hopping in the car. We stopped him he signed, and did not say a word. Except he said to his driver we gotta get the f*** out of here before anyone else finds us. lol. Didn't really affect me, but these stories just reminded me of this.

Comment

• Griff
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Meathead
                            the lesson here is easy - dont make moral heros out of sports entertainers
                            I learned that lesson with Chris Benoit.

Comment

• Dantheman1280
                              I am the Man!
                              • Mar 2004

I have had a few encounters with Jim Kelly and he has been nothing but a class act each time!!

Comment

Working...
                              X