PDA

View Full Version : Billick must cash in on quarterback investment

Gunzlingr
05-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Billick must cash in on quarterback investment
Mike Preston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally published May 1, 2003

Mike Preston

RAVENS COACH Brian Billick is in new territory. He has had strong-armed quarterbacks before, but never one so young and talented as rookie Kyle Boller of California, the No. 19 overall selection in the NFL draft.

The pressure is on because the investment is so heavy. The team gave up next year's No. 1 pick and a second-rounder this year for Boller. This city wants a constant at quarterback, and so does majority owner Art Modell and soon-to-be majority owner Steve Bisciotti.

And now, after having gone through seven starting quarterbacks in four seasons, it's time for Billick to deliver. And he is ready to embrace the challenge.

"First of all, like anything else, there is perception vs. reality," Billick said yesterday, after meeting with free-agent receiver Marcus Robinson. "The perception of the offensive genius, the quarterback guru, yada, yada, yada ... is not reality, never has been for me. We're looking for productivity to win games. I'm not looking for big numbers to salvage my reputation.

"There was a time certainly, when I was coming up through the ranks as an offensive coordinator, you backed it up, because that's how you're going to get that job [as a head coach]. But once that happens, priorities change very quickly. But I know, in the end, I will be the one held accountable."

MORE (http://www.sunspot.net/sports/bal-sp.preston01may01,0,5050842.column?coll=bal2Dcolumnists)