PDA

View Full Version : Moran's Monday Morning QB

patmoran2006
10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
The Bills and their fans shouldn’t over react to this loss at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. Sure, the team laid down a huge stinker, especially in the second half. But having a bad game on the road isn’t uncommon against a divisional opponent. While the Dolphins in my estimation are no playoff team, they are clearly improved over a year ago.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
But having said that, we’re about half way through the season now and some factors that are big negatives on this team are being reinforced over and over again each week. The Bills may sit at 5-2, but unless they can find ways to improve some of their weaknesses, they’re ANYTHING but a lock to make the playoffs.<o:p></o:p>
Some random thoughts.<o:p></o:p>

Yes, Jason Peters keeps letting big plays happen. Melvin Fowler is garbage. Brad Butler has regressed. We’ve been hearing it all year. But when is someone going to finally say that Derrick Dockery has been perhaps the worst lineman on the entire starting five? This guy is getting owned, he’s making terrible mental mistakes, he takes penalties at the worst times, and he’s been ANYTHING but the road grater in the run game the Bills expected him to be when shelling out $49-million for him. I could be wrong, but wasn’t it a holding penalty on Dockery that wiped out that huge Edwards scramble yesterday? Even if it wasn’t him, this guy has been a complete abomination this season.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

You can’t help but wonder if the Bills miss McNally more than you think. This is the exact same offensive line as last year. They’ve had some nicks and bruises with Fowler and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> and of course Peters missed all of camp. But this unit should have more cohesiveness and be playing much better. We’re seven games into the season and Marshawn Lynch hasn’t’ even had a legitimate sniff at 100-yards. It’s one thing to have a rough go in the run game against a <st1:City w:st="on">Jacksonville</st1:City> or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Diego</st1:place></st1:City>. But to have no success on the ground against teams like <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Arizona</st1:State></st1:place> and even the Rams is inexcusable. As the weather elements change going forward, the running game is more crucial than ever, and our run blocking is putrid. They’re also making a lot more mistakes pass blocking this year. <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Don’t know the extent of Josh Reed’s injury, but I hope it’s not serious. Bills receivers other than Lee Evans had a horrible time getting open against a very depleted secondary. It wasn’t good to see Hardy and Parrish not be able to more often take advantage.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

What is going to take to be able to generate a pass rush? It’s amazing how non-existent our front four is in the pass rush without having to blitz.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

I know Paul Posluszny is still learning on the job, but it would be nice to see our middle linebacker start making some impact plays. The tackle count is pretty high, but no sacks or interceptions and only one forced fumble shows he needs to be more of a game changer.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Kyle Williams started out like a ball of fire, but lately his play has been getting weaker, he’s getting blown off the line more and he’s doing a lousy job of wrapping up tackles. You might start seeing a lot more of Spencer Johnson in the second half of the season.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

I’m so sick of Robert Royal. This guy is a turd. He looks great in one game and he ALWAYS goes right back to being lousy. Dropped passes, missed blocks, and a big fumble for the second time in three games. Is there a less consistent player on this entire team than Royal?

<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Let’s hope Terrence McGee was just rusty from the sprained knee. Credit <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City> for attacking a guy that’s been out. Ted Ginn flat-out OWNED this secondary Sunday. That may be the most embarrassing part of the entire game and the most tough to swallow.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Maybe he’ll contribute down the line, but may as well shelf Ellis for the year right now.. This kid isn’t even close to being ready to play in this league right now.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Kudos to Lee Evans, who just continues to get better ever week.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

I’m still VERY much sold on Trent Edwards. All he needs is the players in front of him to start doing more.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Unfortunately, I’m not sold on this defense like some others. The secondary has been ordinary at best, and while Stroud and Mitchell are proving to be outstanding acquisitions, the bottom line is we haven’t gotten much at all from the rest of the front seven. Schobel and Kelsay have but a few sacks between them, Kyle Williams looks like he’s wearing down already, Keith Ellison is still a non factor and again, while Poz is putting up decent numbers he’s not making any impact plays.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>
My Monday Morning Outlook: These next two games are huge. They will determine if this team is truly legit, or if we were just a nice little first-half of the season feel good story. We responded last time against the Chargers, and we’ll have to do it again against the Jets and Patriots. It’s one thing to lose at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>, but there’s no excuse to just give divisional games away with stupid mistakes, and I think that’s exactly what we did.<o:p></o:p>

Forward_Lateral
10-27-2008, 08:37 AM
The NY Jets game is as close to must win as it gets at this point in a season, IMO.

The King
10-27-2008, 08:54 AM
This was a game we weren't meant to win. The penalties and flukey turnovers were just too much to over come. We needed to win 2 of the next three so watch out NE and NYJ.

Saratoga Slim
10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Great post Pat. I fully agree with both the tone of your reaction, as well as most of the points you made.

patmoran2006
10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I could write an entire column on how bad and overated I think Dockery has been this entire season; but that would take away from the Jason Peters bashing (much of it deserved)

hydro
10-27-2008, 11:54 AM
It was Dockery that negated that run by Edwards. I was fuming after that one :mad:

patmoran2006
10-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Dockery is a guy making elite OL money, and IMO he’s not played any better than any OL on this team this season, including Fowler, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> and Peters.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The only one on that unit this year that has EARNED his paycheck is Langston Walker, who I got a feeling may end up moving back to LT before this year is over.<o:p></o:p>

Ebenezer
10-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Dockery is a guy making elite OL money, and IMO he’s not played any better than any OL on this team this season, including Fowler, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> and Peters.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The only one on that unit this year that has EARNED his paycheck is Langston Walker, who I got a feeling may end up moving back to LT before this year is over.<o:p></o:p>
As I asked in an earlier thread does Dockery look bad because Fowler and Peters are playing poorly?

patmoran2006
10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
As I asked in an earlier thread does Dockery look bad because Fowler and Peters are playing poorly?
Could be part of I'm sure.

But he doesnt look any better than either of them to me.

yordad
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
It was Dockery that negated that run by Edwards. I was fuming after that one :mad:At least we got the play over again. Had he not held, he would have allowed an easy sack.

Historian
10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I agree.

hydro
10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
At least we got the play over again. Had he not held, he would have allowed an easy sack.

This is true. Although he shouldn't have even let the guy in! :D