PDA

View Full Version : Early prediction for the 53 man opening day roster (plus PS): LONG

clumping platelets
07-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Let's start some football talk, after all, this is a football website :chuckle:

I'm going to make an early prediction :rolleyes: of what the 53 man roster will look like come 9/8/02.......I will not predict any candidates for IR. The cap really isn't much of a concern, if at all, thus decisions should be based more on talent this season

QB(3) Bledsoe, Van Pelt, T. Brown: First two are obvious, Travis Brown, David Priestley, and David Dinkins are fighting it out over the 3rd QB spot. Salary cap is NOT an issue here. I think Travis Brown wins out. He didn't look all that bad in Miami after AVP was knocked out. He's had some game experience and that's the determining factor. Priestley and Dinkins are possibilities for the PS

TE(3) Riemersma, D. Moore, McDonnell : Jackson's legal problem is the last straw and he's due $563,000 as he was tendered and signed the minimum qualifying offer. He really hasn't shown enough. O' Leary and McDonnell will compete for the #3 TE spot with the other a distinct possibiity for the PS

WR(6) Moulds, P. Price, J. Reed, C. Johnson, Germany, C. Rogers : Yes, I know Rogers has some legal issues, but I think that he will play this season and the matter will be dealt....aren't they all. It's not as serious as 7th rd pick, Rodney Wright, who I suspect the Bills to relinquish his draft rights very soon. McDaniel has none NOTHING to impress the new regime. He will be giving a chance in TC, but I think Germany beats him out. Out the remaining TC fodder WRs, at least one will be considered for the PS (Coleman. Rone, R. Allen, or M. Jackson).

RB(4) Henry, Huntley, Morris, Alexander : I believe Bryson will be traded. If they can't trade him, either Morris or Alexander will be released. Maybe Morris could be traded, but Bryson has more marketability. If in doubt, go with the "new regime" people like Huntley. Don't see any possiblities for the PS unless they sign a player after cut down day.

FB(2) Centers, Crosby : I guess it's possible that Bryson stays and Morris is the #2 FB. I personally haven't been overly impressed with Crosby, but it appears the coaching staff likes him. Ferguson is a strong possibility for the PS

OL(9) Starting (LOT Teague, LOG R. Brown, C Jennings, ROG Ostroski, ROT Mike Williams) Reserves (G/T Sullivan, G/T M. Price, C Conaty, G Hulsey). The only spot really up for grabs potentially is ROG where Marques Sullivan could unseat Ostroski. Ostroski MAKES the team due to his versatility and experience at literally every position. Carman and Farris could make it as the #10 OL at OT and Pucillo or Early are candidates for PS

K/P(2): Think it's obvious that Hollis is the PK and doesn't appear that Moorman has any challengers. In his defense, it was his first year in Buffalo AND he was coming from NFL Europe. Full off-season of rest should help him improve, as can the veteran presence of Hollis.

DL(9): Starters(LDE Veteran like Chidi Ahanatou, LDT Robertson, RDT P. Williams, RDE Schobel) Reserves DE/DT Denney, DE Office, DT S. Price, DT Edwards, DT Bannan. I believe Larsen, Fisher and Flowers(one will end up in SD) will need to find fresh starts elsewhere. Maxie's experience in the CFL could help, but I think the eventual re-signing of Shawn Price will send him back to the CFL. I'm not sure if he can be placed on the PS. Bannan will make the final roster because he would likely be claimed. Grant Irons could be a darkhorse if no veterans are added or if coaching staff goes with one less player on offensive side of ball, but he will probably go on the PS

LB(6): Starters(SOLB Newman, MLB Fletcher, WOLB Robinson) Reserves Spoon, F. Jones, Polk. The flexibility and every down nature of the starters makes it unlikely that 7 will be kept. If 7 LBs are kept, then #7 will be a special teams standout...or have someone on the PS that can be added to the roster. No one else stands out at this time

DB(9): Starters(LCB Clements, SS Jenkins, FS Prioleau, RCB Winfield) Reserves CB Watson, CB K. Thomas, SS Wire, S Tillman, S Driver . No one else on the roster jumps out, but someone will undoubtedly be added to the PS. Bills could continue to upgrade depth, especially at S.

PS: DE Grant Irons, WR Clarence Coleman, FB Jarrett Ferguson, G Mike Pucillo, LB D. Stevenson

:feedback:

BillsNYC
07-17-2002, 12:42 PM
what about our new 300 lb punter? :D

BillsNYC
07-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Chidi Ahanatou as a starter? i hope not!

clumping platelets
07-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Then, by all means, offer your opinions....not one liners ;)

eyedog
07-17-2002, 01:34 PM
good analysis cp. i see a few things differently :

1.te - o'leary over mcdonnel, can long snap.
2.fb - ferguson over crosby, special teams edge.
3. ol - early gets cut outright. no p.s.
4. lde - no ahanatou. to tart the season will be the winner of training camp battle between fisher and flowers. the loser is gone. and agreed could very well end up in san diego.
5. lb - polk gets cut. stevenson makes team. will be a special teamer.

clumping platelets
07-17-2002, 01:40 PM
McDonnell has long-snapping experience

Need to keep Polk over Stevenson because of experience.....if keep 7 LBs, then Stevenson could make team

I think Bills will realize that it will be essential to add some veteran depth on the DL soon

Thanks for your comments :)

Pride
07-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Only disagreement is with Mcdaniel. I think he stays and rogers goes.

McDaniel is an untapped resource who has played his role quietly, I think that is what GW and TD are looking for... Role players who are quiet until called upon.

clumping platelets
07-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Can't really argue much with that, however, if Rogers' situation can be resolved, then I think he makes the team

I bet he was sloshed and didn't realize his mistake :rolleyes:

eyedog
07-17-2002, 01:43 PM
rogers is going no where. cop punching and all, he is the returner. polk is from the old regime, they won't cut their draft pick to keep him.imo.

eyedog
07-17-2002, 01:45 PM
you bet he was sloshed.... i guarantee he was. like the greise incident at that denver party a couple of weeks back.

clumping platelets
07-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Polk has playing experience. Stevenson doesn't. Bills have depth concerns if one of the OLBs get injured. That's why I have Polk over Stevenson

lordofgun
07-17-2002, 03:36 PM
I think McDaniel stays and C. Johnson goes. Other than that, I like it.

clumping platelets
07-17-2002, 03:40 PM
Geez thanks LOG ;)

:hump: :spank:

JefftheBillsfan
07-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Great thread, good work and analysis.

John Doe
07-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Clump - some good choices but I don't think that the mix is right: six wide outs plus 4 running backs? Last year it was five and three. I can see adding one body between the two positions but not two - it cuts into defensive depth. I think that they trade Bryson for whatever they can get for him and cut Alexander. Rodgers has the flexibility to give us some speed at running back when we need it. Germany and Johnson are on the bubble depending on whether we keep six linebackers or seven.

Don't like the mix in the defensive backfield either - how many teams keep only four corners (we had five last year)? This position should mirror the typical number of receivers that the opposition has (five). None of our Safties are good enough cover men to fill in. I don't know who the fifth corner will be but you do need five - if you keep four and only one goes down you are hurting. Driver goes.

I think you need seven backers (like last year) not six, but it will come down to whether our 7th backer is better than our 6th receiver. Backers are the heart of the special teams. Jones could be gone if Cotton shows he can play special teams. Its up to Stevenson to beat out the 6th receiver.

DraftBoy
07-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Qb: Bledsoe, AVP, Preistley-whiel Brown showed nothing bad in the game he played in he also didnt show anything good. He had a very average day and this Priestly kid I think could be a great backup in the league. He has a solid arm and comes from a good program at Pitt, He had good recievers (English, Bryant), and a solid back.

RB: Henry, Huntley, Alexander, Rogers-Curtis earned his spot here on the team after his great campaign in NFLE. Barring an absolute horrid camp I feel as though he may be a lock to beat out Sammy Morris. I also think we will deal Bryson and cut Morris. Rogers makes it do to ST ability. Besides the cop probably deserved it. j/k

FB: Centers, Ferguson-Feguson beats out Crosby for this spot and is groomed as Centers replacement. The Sporting News said Ferguson had best hands in the draft class.

WR: Moulds, Price, Reed, Germany, Johnson, Wright-Yes I know Rodney has had some legal problems but surprsingly enough I could see him being invited to camp and if he can beat out McDaniel, which I happen to see as a thing he can do.

TE: Moore, Rimersma, McDonnel-O'leary aint a great blocker or pass catcher, McDonnel can block.

OL:Teague, R. Brown, Jennings, Ostroski, Mike Williams Sullivan, M. Price, Hulsey, Pucillo-Mike Pucillo beats out Bill Contany for a roster spot as the center posistion is pretty full with Jennings there and Ostroski capable of playing it.

K/P:Hollis, Moorman-no arguments

DL: Denney, Adams, Irons, Maxie, Robertsson, Williams, Edwards, Office, Bannan- I dont see Shaun Price signing not with the knowledge that Adams and other FA's will soon lower there contract demands to get into camp early. I see a good line of Denney Williams Adams Office, Maxie and Irons make it based on great camp performances

LB: Newman, Fletcher, Robinson, Spoon, Stevenson, Jimmy Robinson-Polk I think is a bust Stevenson brings tremendous energy to ST, he did at Tennesee and seems to love playing it. Jimmy Robinson I have liked and he had a solid season in NFLE.

DB: Winfield, Clements, Prioleau, Jenkins, Wire, Thomas, Watson, Bostic, Driver-Tillman gets the ax, Bostic fromer GT cb makes it for depth reasons

Just my thoughts

clumping platelets
07-18-2002, 12:49 AM
Where's Schobel??

Irons is a rookie FA.......he's not gonna start

I think the Bills will rescind the draft rights to Wright

shawn
07-18-2002, 01:14 AM
I think McDaniel stays and Johnson goes. McDaniel may not have done anything on the field to impress the coaching staff on the field because of injury last season but McDaniel was always the last person to leave practice last season. The coaching staff stated they were impressed with his work ethic. McDaniel has shown promise with his play in 2000-2001. Johnson is a bust who is only sticking around in this league because he was a former first round selection.

DraftBoy
07-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Where's Schobel??

Irons is a rookie FA.......he's not gonna start

I think the Bills will rescind the draft rights to Wright

Damnit I knew somebody was forgotten, Ok then take out Maxie and put in Schoebel. And CP where did you see me saying Irons was gonna start? I said:

"I see a good line of Denney Williams Adams Office, Maxie and Irons make it based on great camp performances"

No where did it say Irons would start.

eyedog
07-18-2002, 10:15 AM
gotta agree with winfield. c'mon cp ,get your **** together.

John from Hemet
07-18-2002, 10:30 AM
I will have to one liner it for the sake of time...

Basically...your reasoning is pretty sound just a couple of comments.

It is pretty easy to see why this coaching staff likes Phillip Crosby....he blocks like Sam Gash...this team is going to a vertical passing/power running game and good blocking FB or a good blocking TE is a must.....I personally think that Crosby is a better fit now then Centers....

I think that Ostroski starts.....but the team IS very high on Sullavin who can play both guard and tackle....and has great size......I think the talent is there with him unlike a sayyy John Carmen who really doesn't belong in the NFL. Also...dont be suprized if Farris makes this team.

I personally think we are going to come out the gate with Kendrick Office and Aaron Schrobel as our DE's....but Ryan Denny is going to make a push very quickly and it may end up turning into one of those Nate Clements/Ken Irvin things very quickly....I also would not be surpized to see Grant Irons make this team as a reserve and special teams guy......

It may end up being a real interesting duel between Tyrone Robertson and Justin Bannon for that DT spot....one thing that Bannon can do is play the run.....

Ebenezer
07-18-2002, 11:03 AM
i will post mine on 8/1...too early to tell

colin
07-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I think that O'Leary is a good enough long snapper to keep, bad long snapper => trouble with the kicking game, and we all know how important that can be.

Rogers, unless he is going to jail, is a return threat we don't want to lose. Mc is good, but we have players better than him.

I think we might be rotating pretty tightly with Ahonitu, Office, Denny on the left and Schoble, Flowers, whoever on the right.

Even the Freak missed about 10-20 snaps a game under Our coach's D. What ever we think of him as a HC, he got a level of aggression out of more than 6 men on the dline an a consistant enough basis to really change games. If he can do part of that with our now faster and stronger D, we are in good shape.

Office really stands out to me as a tough player, if Denny turns out as well as Schoble, then we have some good DEs, Flowers is a goof but can still speed rush.

clumping platelets
07-20-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by eyedog
gotta agree with winfield. c'mon cp ,get your **** together.

I didn't leave out a starting DE :chuckle:

DraftBoy
07-20-2002, 02:00 PM
I didnt either. I just forgot one guy who I think would be a better starter. I still names 2 starting DE's.

TigerJ
07-21-2002, 11:45 PM
I think McDaniels is gone because of the numbers. He's old regime, and the new guys have brought in people they like. It probably doesn't matter anyway. He would be buried in the depth chart anyway and wouldn't get many reps anyway(just like last year).

I wonder if the Bills will keep 4 RBs. I like Morris, but I don't think he really has anything to offer the Bills that they can't find in another back. He's good good hands. Centers' hands are better. He has decent size. So do Huntley and Henry. He's an OK blocker. Is that really what the Bills are looking for in a RB. I'll bet Huntley can block some if they need it. He's not particulary instinctive, quick or elusive. Alexander seems to have superior instinct and quickness, and would be a great change of pace back since his combination of style, size (he's smaller), and quickness is a different package from any other RB.

The competition for the third TE spot will be a long snapping contest between O'leary and McConnell. Whoever does it better will win the spot.

I think Crosby makes the roster and Fergusson the practice squad. Fergusson has a lot of the same qualities as Centers, and Crosby is the best blocker of the three. This presents a problem to Gilbride however. Unless Gilbride designs some plays to throw defenses off, they will know that whenever Crosby is in the Bills will run the ball.

I'm not convinced that Ahanotu will be a Bill. I think TD would have made a move by now if it was humanly possible to get it done, and he felt the guy was worth it. Larsen and Fisher are likely DL cuts, Larsen because he just doesn't get it, and Fisher because of his physical (lack of size and speed) limitations. Flowers gets a real shot to prove he isn't Butler's last big mistake. If he doesn't cut it in training camp a dark horse (Maxie or Irons) may rise to the occasion.

Good work, Clumpy

askabry
07-22-2002, 11:16 AM
A couple of things...

Huntley and Morris are essentially the same back, in physique and playing talents. Travis Henry isn't much different. I look for all three to make the squad, plus Alexander as a change of pace and Bryson to be traded.

I don't see Centers on this team. It's a club being formulated for a three year horizon, and Larry's trail ends this year rain or shine. One fullback, and its Crosby with Fergy making the PS.

They'll keep six WR, if you think of Rogers as WR and not a KR. Germany makes the cut, and McDaniel (unfortunately, because he is a good WR) is dropped.

My bet is Cotton makes the squad on Dline with Irons, Fisher, Schobel, Denney, Bannan, Edwards, Williams and Robertson.

I don't see Mike Williams as a starting lineman for the Bills at the start of the year, and I don't see that as a terrible thing either. Teague at LT, Brown, Conaty, Ostroski and Jennings for starters is okay. When Williams picks it all up (game five?), Jennings takes over LT and Teague moves to C.

angneli
07-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Centers is a good keep. He gives Bledsoe a great dumpoff, and will result in somebody getting open downfield. Williams needs experience. Put the best five OL's on the field.

teague, brown, jennings, ostroski, williams.

John Doe
07-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Three rookies out of 9 defensive linemen? Kendrik Office doen't even make the team? The undersized Cotton, currently listed as a linebacker, does? Better re-think this one.

askabry
07-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Well, now wait a minute...Kendrick Office couldn't even get himself any playing time last year after the one game against the Pats. And you know what? That was a fluke; NE had three starting linemen out at the time and when you look at the plays he made, they all came against backups. When he's had to perform against first string talent, he's been stonewalled.

Denney and Bannan are locks to make this team one way or the other (PS?). I think Irons is one of the few players on the roster with sufficient size and strength to play DE at the point of attack. It is possible they'd keep Maxie over Cotton, but Cotton was by far the more productive player in the CFL.

So...I guess I just did rethink it. I like my alignment.

askabry
07-22-2002, 11:37 AM
AGnelli...
that dump off pass is caught just as easily by Morris or Huntley. Plus they can both run better than Centers and if you want experience get it from the right source...the QB.

DraftBoy
07-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Yes, the dumpoff can be caught by either Morris or Hunleybut what they dont bring is leadership that Centers brings. Every unit has a leader. QB is Bledsoe, WR is Moulds, RB is Centers. Centers will not be cut plain and simple.

angneli
07-22-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by askabry
AGnelli...
that dump off pass is caught just as easily by Morris or Huntley. Plus they can both run better than Centers and if you want experience get it from the right source...the QB.

You're saying that Huntley and Morris are as effective receivers as Centers? Probably should rethink that. I don't see the value in putting Williams on the bench. Especially with his skills run blocking. He needs the game experience.

HenryRules
07-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Didn't they sign Centers to an extension this offseason? I'm pretty sure they did, and if so I think that means they're gonna want him on the team this season.

askabry
07-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Yep...in fact, I might say that they are very nearly exactly as effective. I did a study of it last year, comparing catches for first down yardage and Morris was only slightly less effective in turning his receptions (in 2000) than Centers.

Larry's career is nearly at its end. Spending the time, money and reps in a younger player who's talent is nearly equal in pass-catching and has more value as a blocker and runner seems reasonable to me. Insofar as his contract is concerned, players often get extensions signed only to have them dissolved before season's start. You need only look back so far as Buffalo last year, I believe (Holicek).

Insofar as Williams goes, I've covered that elsewheres so I'll leave that out.

angneli
07-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Askabry, let me make sure I understand you. You want to take a pro-bowl fullback. The best pass catching fullback in the league and replace him with an unproven 'tweener (Morris), or Richard Huntley who hasn't exactly been lighting up the football field. It just doesn't make sense.

clumping platelets
07-22-2002, 06:01 PM
The extension for Centers hasn't been signed as of yet.

SABURZFAN
07-22-2002, 06:18 PM
reading some of the post here fires me up for this upcoming season.the various opinions of who starts and who gets cut only tells me that we're going to have some good competition in camp.

GO BILLS!!!!!

The Natrix
07-22-2002, 08:18 PM
No way is he going any where. I could care less what he does off the field, as long he doesn't commit something despicable.

after all, we need a player on the team to represent all the gangstas out there!

time to bust out some NWA. F da police......:mex:

askabry
07-23-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by angneli
Askabry, let me make sure I understand you. You want to take a pro-bowl fullback. The best pass catching fullback in the league and replace him with an unproven 'tweener (Morris), or Richard Huntley who hasn't exactly been lighting up the football field. It just doesn't make sense.

"Better to lose them a year early rather than a year late".

Larry Centers is old, especially so for a running back who as group have an incredibly steep downside. If you look at his stats over the last five years, you'd see that last year was an aberation to the steady decline he's shown. His Pro Bowl status rested mainly on the fact that our offense couldn't get untracked so he caught a disproportionate number of balls- not for his innate ability to block or run with the ball, or even his hands. Furthermore, he himself questioned his desire to return this year.

So, let me reverse this: you'd rather keep a single-dimensional player- basically, a possession reciever to slot in the backfield- that will retire in one year and who isn't a very good fit with a "power running game" over a true multi-talented running back that has four or five good years. I guess that doesn't make sense to me.

eyedog
07-23-2002, 07:35 AM
i have to agree with you on this one askabry. it wouldn't surprise me to see centers get cut this preseason. this years henry jones. we have a lot of good young backs to keep and if they can't trade bryson they won't cut him loose. so centers getting the axe could happen, especially with his salary.

angneli
07-23-2002, 09:50 AM
Dang askabry we can't seem to agree on much. I will agree to disagree, we'll see what happens when the season starts.

I will say this if we get rid of Centers it is going to be a money issue rather than an ability issue.

askabry
07-23-2002, 11:05 AM
LOL...I suppose we'll agree on disagreeing, then!