PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Think McKelvins Only Problem Isn't His Speaking Ability?

raphael120
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Dude seems like he must be a mental midget. It worries me when a football player can't even speak well. It's one thing to get a college gameplan, but in the NFL, **** is different and the coaches didn't trust McKelvin over a one-legged McGee. THAT'S an issue. And what's up with Reggie Corner? I thought he was playing better than McKelvin in training camp. What gives? I seriously question the personnel decisions on Sunday...Lynch was running his ass off yet we give it to Jackson on 3rd and goal. Why aren't your BEST PLAYERS on the field. AKA you TWO FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS! (Lynch/McKelvin).

Captain gameboy
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I won't comment on his speaking ability.

But maybe the staff thought they had the best players on the field.

OpIv37
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
But maybe the staff thought they had the best players on the field.

that's exactly the point. McKelvin not being as good as a gimp-legged McGee? That speaks volumes about a first round pick. And it was against Ted Ginn, JR too- who has been his entire career mired in mediocrity until yesterday.

Clearly the coaches don't trust McKelvin yet, and that's not a good sign with McGee still gimpy and Youboty injured.

DraftBoy
10-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Im as critical as anyone here when it comes to draft picks but you guys have to give McKelvin some more time, this is ridiculous.

OpIv37
10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Im as critical as anyone here when it comes to draft picks but you guys have to give McKelvin some more time, this is ridiculous.

Ok, let's try this again.

McGee was still injured and clearly nowhere near 100%. He was covering a very mediocre receiver on a team that I believe was ranked 27th in passing offense coming into the game. And the coaches didn't even let him play. In fact, they were using 3 safeties in nickel and even in some base coverages rather than put him on the field.

No one is saying McKelvin should be Chris McAllister 7 games into his pro career. But trusting him to cover Ted Ginn over an injured player and putting him in in nickel is not too much to ask.

Mr. Pink
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Hell, where is Leodis awesome return abilities he allegedly possessed in college?

Even those are gone.

On top of the fact he showed last week he wasn't ready to play at corner at this level and now this week, we got to see that the coaching staff thinks more highly of a one legged McGee.

The objective of the first round when you're a team who's mediocre to average, face it that's what we were before this season, is to get guys who can contribute to getting better not a project who might be good in 3-4 years.

And right now, I'm doubting McKelvin will even be good then.

raphael120
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM

McGee was still injured and clearly nowhere near 100%. He was covering a very mediocre receiver on a team that I believe was ranked 27th in passing offense coming into the game. And the coaches didn't even let him play. In fact, they were using 3 safeties in nickel and even in some base coverages rather than put him on the field.

No one is saying McKelvin should be Chris McAllister 7 games into his pro career. But trusting him to cover Ted Ginn over an injured player and putting him in in nickel is not too much to ask.

Who did McKelvin cover last week? Vincent Jackson, right?

He's definitely more productive and well estabilished as a WR in the league than Ginn is. Jackson had plenty of good games and good production, Ginn has done JACK SQUAT in this league until yesterday.

If they can trust McKelvin to cover Jackson, then why not Ginn? Ginn is fast, so is McKelvin...they're both young...it's not like Ginn is a savvy veteran who knows how to trick young CBs...

Fact of the matter is...if McKelvin is inexperienced...how in the hell is he supposed to get experienced if he's not trusted to PLAY FOOTBALL? I'm sure he might've learned a lot by playing last Sunday against the Chargers. That's what worries me...he's a first round pick. If he doesn't have enough raw ability, then why the hell was he a first round pick? You're covering Ted Ginn. He's not ****ing Jerry Rice. Our coaching staff should trust a player enough to handle such a task. And it's not Tom Brady, it's CHAD PENNINGTON!

DraftBoy
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Let me try this again also.

McKelvin was raw coming out of school and should be not being seeing any kind of significant time this year. We have been over this before. He shouldnt of been guarding Floyd/Jackson last week when he gave up 2 TD's, nor Ginn yesterday. McKelvin has a LONG way still to go, but he has the base to easily do that.

Actually asking him to cover maybe the fastest player in the AFCE or play nickel is asking a lot. I dont know why people think that just because its the "nickel" position its suddenly easier to play. Its not, in an ideal world I would not have McKelvin see the field on defense almost this entire season. He needs to sit, learn and get lots of reps in practice.

Pinkerton Security
10-27-2008, 03:13 PM
WHY does it mean that he isnt good enough or aware enough to cover Ginn? Why? He didnt make the choice to hold himself on the sideline.

If anything, perhaps, criticize McGee for not pulling himself off because we could all see he wasnt 100%.

patmoran2006
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
It's just a case, whether people like it or not, that the Bills staff doesnt feel confident that McKelvin is ready to handle a workload defensively. It's the way it is.

justasportsfan
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
MCGee wasn't good enough to cover Ralph WIlson himself had he played. I don't know why the coaches insisted on putting McGee in. Would've loved to see Leodis match up with Gin. Both young and both fast with Leodis having a height advantage over McGee.

OpIv37
10-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Let me try this again also.

McKelvin was raw coming out of school and should be not being seeing any kind of significant time this year. We have been over this before. He shouldnt of been guarding Floyd/Jackson last week when he gave up 2 TD's, nor Ginn yesterday. McKelvin has a LONG way still to go, but he has the base to easily do that.

Actually asking him to cover maybe the fastest player in the AFCE or play nickel is asking a lot. I dont know why people think that just because its the "nickel" position its suddenly easier to play. Its not, in an ideal world I would not have McKelvin see the field on defense almost this entire season. He needs to sit, learn and get lots of reps in practice.

Just look at Ginn's stat line and ask yourself this: would McKelvin have done any WORSE? I don't see how he could have.

Lexwhat
10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but here goes:

I miss Youboty.

psubills62
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but here goes:

I miss Youboty.

Me too. I hope he comes back very quickly. It seems to me that our pass defense got a lot worse with him out.

madness
10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
The worst part is that most of those passes to Ginn were horrendous. Any decent CB could have at least broken them up.

I have nothing bad to say about McKelvin but I seriously question the decision to put McGee in that situation. If he was coming back under 100%, he should have at least been starting at nickel until he's ready to man his old position.

THATHURMANATOR
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
With you 100%!!! :bf1:

TacklingDummy
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Dude seems like he must be a mental midget. It worries me when a football player can't even speak well. It's one thing to get a college gameplan, but in the NFL, **** is different and the coaches didn't trust McKelvin over a one-legged McGee. THAT'S an issue. And what's up with Reggie Corner? I thought he was playing better than McKelvin in training camp. What gives? I seriously question the personnel decisions on Sunday...Lynch was running his ass off yet we give it to Jackson on 3rd and goal. Why aren't your BEST PLAYERS on the field. AKA you TWO FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS! (Lynch/McKelvin).

Add in Lynch's off the field issues and Hardy's off the field issues.

The Bills have really lowered their standards. As have fans.

dmosher12
10-27-2008, 06:26 PM
so are first round picks not supposed to produce when they come out of college now? the 1st round defensive backs from last year:

Laron Landry - 5 passes defensed, 63 tackles
Darrelle Revis - 3 INT, 1 Fumble Recovery, 74 tackles, 17 passes defensed
Leon Hall - 5 INT, 1 FF, 55 tackles, 12 passes defensed
Michael Griffin - 3 INT, 7 passes defensed, 1 FF, 41 tackles
Aaron Ross - 3 INT, 1 TD, 9 passes defensed, 35 tackles, 1 super bowl ring
Reggie Nelson - 5 INT, 11 passes defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 58 tackles
Brendan Meriweather - 3 passes defensed, 1 FF, 18 tackles

Leodis McKelvin so far 08 - 1 FF, 1 Fumble recovery, 9 tackles

Now either we can't scout or the coaches have no idea what they are doing, because he is on pace for a Brendan Meriweather type year. Meriweather had Rodney Harrison starting in front of him though. McKelvin has had openings for him to step in and step up.

Patti120
10-27-2008, 06:36 PM
It's just a case, whether people like it or not, that the Bills staff doesnt feel confident that McKelvin is ready to handle a workload defensively. It's the way it is.

Agreed!