PDA

View Full Version : Bills In Need of Spark

BillsWin
10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Bills Need a Spark: Could a Seventh Round Pick Step Up?
Orchard Park, NY
University of Central Oklahoma Sports

7 Games into the 2008 season, the Bills are a respectable 5-2. However, something is wrong. The Bills had to wait 6 games before they could play a divisional opponent, and when they got their chance to shine, they dropped the ball. In an ugly 25-16 loss to the last place AFC East rival Dolphins, the Bills showed us something. They need a spark, offensively, defensively, something to start a bigger run than the 4-0 one they had to start the season in order to take complete control over the division.

With a loss to the Dolphins, the next two games may be "must-wins" for Buffalo. This week, the stumbling, klumsy Jets come to Buffalo. This is by no means a guaranteed win. Just as the Dolphins was not, although it was expected. With the loss of a good possession reciever in Josh Reed, the Bills need to find some other body to step up and make some plays. The Bills may not need to look any further than they're usual list of inactives.

Rookie wide reciever, Steve Johnson, has only seen the field one game this year and his stats on the season are 1 reception for 8 yards (@ Arizona). Nothing special, but its not like he's been given a chance. In his senior year in college, the 6 foot 2, 212 lb reciever put up some fantastic numbers. In his final year at the University of Kentucky, he had 60 receptions for 1,041 yards and 13 touchdowns in 13 games. Pre-combine, this young wide-out was projected 4th round, sometimes higher. But, the two-headed monster that is the NFL combine dropped his draft grade. But, the Bills may have struck gold when they took a flier in the 7th on an underrated Kentucky Wildcat.

With injuries to Buffalo's wide reciever corps, it is an enigma as to why Johnson has not taken over Justin Jenkins' spot as the 5th/4th wide reciever. Yes, Jenkins is a good special teamer and Bobby April loves it, but try Johnson out there. Or activate 5-6 WR's, making Jenkins a special teamer and Johnson the 5th WR or, with Reed out, Make Johnson the 4th. With a good frame, solid speed and great hands, Johnson deserves a chance, and could possibly emerge as a vertical threat and "spark" the Bills need.

http://eastwoodmailman.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ncf_g_johnson195.jpg

Steve Johnson Makes the Game-
Winning Catch Against #1 LSU
(ESPN PHOTOS)

If given a chance, Johnson could probably show why he was projected 3-4 rounds higher than taken. All he needed at Kentucky was a chance, and when the coaches gave it to him (and injuries), he took full advantage. When you pay too much attention to 40 times and verticals, you may pass on some real talent, much like 32 teams did several times over for a well-known QB. *Cough* Tom Brady *Cough*. If you look at a possible lineup for the Bills wide recievers, try stopping the following:

Lee Evans- On of the best WR's in the NFL. Fast, stretches the field, moves around, excellent route running, and great hands.
James Hardy- 6'7'', need I say anymore? This is a goal-line defense's nightmare.
Roscoe Parrish- A speedster, welker-like potential, Can stretch the field and go deep, could outrun almost any DB, YAC beast.
Steve Johnson- Size, speed, and sure hands. Nose for the endzone, and a good height compliment to Hardy. Unknown production potential, but screams NFL WR. Can play slot or outside, will go up and make a play on the ball.

I may not have much influence on the Bills organization. I'm just a sports writer, but if it were up to me, I'd give this young man a shot. What have you got to lose? If he turns out to be just a 7th round body, take him out and put Jenkins back in. However, it may be possible that having another threat like Johnson would be the much needed spark, for the first place Bills.

Tags: Steve Johnson, Kentucky, Buffalo Bills, 7th Round, Spark, NFL, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Justin Jenkins, James Hardy, Football

THATHURMANATOR
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I said this very thing earlier today. Johnson strikes me of a guy who could step into Reed's shoes easier than Hardy.

BillsWin
10-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I said this very thing earlier today. Johnson strikes me of a guy who could step into Reed's shoes easier than Hardy.

Reed as better chem with Trent. However, why not give Steve a shot!? he is at EVERY game he is inactive and is ALWAYS standing by Dick Jauron or Lee Evans. I think he wants a chance, and should get one.

BillsWin
10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
anyone have anythng to add?

Typ0
10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
he's not ready.

BillsWin
10-27-2008, 06:08 PM
he's not ready.

I disagree. You cannot make a definitive statement like "He is not ready." When we havent gotten to see him. Give him a chance. If he goes out there and trips over himself, then we can say hes not ready.

Typ0
10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I disagree. You cannot make a definitive statement like "He is not ready." When we havent gotten to see him. Give him a chance. If he goes out there and trips over himself, then we can say hes not ready.

if he was ready he would be playing because we need him. He's not playing. He's not ready.

shelby
10-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Did you write this article? If not, you must post a link, and you shouldn't post the article in its entirety. This is copyright infringement.

i like the idea of giving Johnson a shot against the Jets this week.

BillsWin
10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Did you write this article? If not, you must post a link, and you shouldn't post the article in its entirety. This is copyright infringement.

i like the idea of giving Johnson a shot against the Jets this week.

I wrote it shelby.

BillsWin
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
if he was ready he would be playing because we need him. He's not playing. He's not ready.

This isn't always true. Sometimes we are set in our ways about our starters and maybe he doesn't "appear" to be ready. But heres an example, Freshman year of highschool I was coming out of middle school as a not so noteworthy highschool recruit. But, I was arguable the best outside LB on the freshman squad after spring ball and into the summer. But due to my size, and a few bad days of practice, they wouldnt start me over some kid who couldnt even remember the plays. I was fast, strong, but the coaches were set in there lineup and all I could do is backup and special teams. The kid goes down first game of the season and I step in and just have a monster season and end up playing in 3 varsity games as a freshman. You gotta let someone step up, just because in practice they don't appear to be ready sometimes in football it just clicks once you get to gametime. There have been plenty of instances when a backup gets a chance when they arent even considered ready and preform admirable.

Although I dont disagree with what youre saying about how if hes ready hed be playing, I still think we cant definitively say with 100% no doubt in our minds UNLESS we see him get a shot.

madness
10-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Hopefully he's been working his ass off on his route running because he could be a nice surprise for this offense. If so, I honestly think he can easily surpass Hardy's production at this point.

madness
10-28-2008, 10:19 AM
I wrote it shelby.

:hi5:

Nice read. I'm right there with you about SJ. It's time to give this kid a chance.

BillsWin
10-28-2008, 10:26 AM
:hi5:

Nice read. I'm right there with you about SJ. It's time to give this kid a chance.

Thanks! and as for the Hardy Production I agree. I think we've only been using Hardy for situations and high throws. If Johnson comes in and plays slot he may be able to get more yardage and possibly a nice TD grab with Lee, James and Roscoe out there, whos paying attention to the 7th rounder.

justasportsfan
10-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Screw Hardy. If Steve Johnson is playing better than Hardy in practice, put him in.

This is Trents team. He needs to show character by bouncing back after an embarrassing performance against an AFCE rival.

Ebenezer
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Want a spark? Win.

BillsWin
10-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Want a spark? Win.

But what sparks a win? ehhh ehhh? *nudge*

O.o

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2008, 11:43 AM
i feel like Johnson could come in do what Davone Bess is doing for the Phins...nothing spectacular, but solid play.

What do the Phin fans think?

tat2dmike77
10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't care anymore