• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

My Research is Showing Me Bills looking GREAT for postseason

So I’ve been doing some record and schedule research, and I really have concluded the Bills are in really, REALLY good shape to make the playoffs this year. Now note this: I do NOT think that we cannot beat New England and overtake them for the division. Not only is it is possible, I think that we will overtake them.

But I’m basing the following on us NOT doing that. Even if New England ends up winning our division, I think we’re still in real good shape to make the playoffs.

First, going heads up with Buffalo; I’m already prepared to scratch SD and Jacksonville off the list as two teams that would get in (wild card) ahead of us. SD is FOUR games behind us in the standings (including heads up tiebreaker) while Jacksonville is three games.

I’m also prepared to scratch Houston and Miami off the list. Both are 3-4, and sorry (especially Fins fans) but I don’t see either team getting any higher than nine wins in 2008, at the most (and that’s no disrespect to Miami either).

I’m VERY close to scratching Indy off the wild-card list as well. They’re 3-4, two games behind us and have MURDER for a second-half schedule, including contests at Pittsburgh, San Diego, Jacksonville as well as home games vs. New England and Tennessee.

Cleveland is 3-4, two games behind us although they have a chance to get much closer by beating us at home on a Monday night. But looking at their schedule, I see many more losses. They’re still on the road against Tennessee, Philly and Pittsburgh, and home games vs Denver, Baltimore and Indy. I’d be shocked to see them finish over .500, with or without upsetting us.

To me, that’s going to leave three teams to fight for four playoff spots (One AFCE divisional winner included). One or even two AFCE teams could end up as wild cards.

I include Baltimore as a legit wild card contender right now at 4-3. But looking at their schedule, they still have FOUR games against the tough NFC East (at Dallas and Giants, home vs philly and Washington). They also still have tough games vs Pitt and Jacksonville at home, as well as Cleveland on the road. I see them at 8-9 wins this year.

That’s why.. I really consider the Bills two games against the Jets, at least slightly MORE important than the games against New England.

Looking at the Jets schedule, the only tough games on paper right now (besides the pair vs us) look like road games at NE and Tennesee and a home game against Denver.

New England still has a road game at Indy (this Monday) and home games against the Steelers and Arizona.

I’m starting to think the 2nd place finisher in the AFCE is a lock for a wild card, and I think given the softer overall schedules that the AFCE may even produce both wild card spots.

Of course, a lot can still happen and no game should ever be considered a lock. But for my money, I’m rating the two games against the Jets as being slightly more important to our playoff push than the NE games.

If the Patriots win the division and we handle the Jets, we’re in for sure. But if we finish 3rd, it’s a risky proposition at best.

And yes, NE could still easily finish 3rd, even 4th in the division. They are FAR from a lock.. But they are 5-2 at the moment and tied with Buffalo, and for now anyway, needs to be given that consideration.

Point being: We’ve buried a few teams in the conference standings already, and a few other teams under us have murderous schedules remaining (Indy, Cleveland, Baltimore).

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: My Research is Showing Me Bills looking GREAT for postseason

Naturally, the Bills could go into the tank, get creamed in their division and miss out completely. I just dont see that happening.

10 Wins in this conference THIS year is a lock to get in the postseason. Even 9 may get it done looking at the teams behind us and their schedules.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
      Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
      • Dec 2005

are you stoned? Playoffs no where in site for this team

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I'm more pointing out other teams situations and likely records than our own right now.

I dont see any of the following teams (Baltimore, Indy, SD, Cleveland, Jacksonville) getting to double digit wins this year with their current record and/or remaining schedule.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Next 2 games are the key.

The NFL wants to see the Jets and Favre in the playoffs. The refs. will be paid off this Sunday.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
            Next 2 games are the key.

The NFL wants to see the Jets and Favre in the playoffs. The refs. will be paid off this Sunday.
            if you go by last week's Patriots game, you can say the same for them as well.

Last Sunday vs Rams.

Rams: 9 penalties, 63 yards.

patriots: 0 Penalties, 0 yards.

BTW, I TOTALLY agree with you.. Our four games against Jets and Pats are the key. Win 2 at least, hopefully 3 of four.. Finish at least 2nd in this division and I think (this year anyway) your a lock for the playoffs.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
              • Dec 2004

This week is huge. Technically, it's not a must win. But psychologically, it sure feels like one.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                • Feb 2006

Nah Bull****. There's no way we are going to let the Brady-less pats win the division. No ****ing way!!

We better win the division this year or I'll be absolutely shocked!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

I don’t think NE is going to win the division. I’m just being unbiased enough to acknowledge that at 5-2, they are tied for the lead and have a chance.

They play at Indy Sunday night, a game we obviously all want to see them lose. They still have non-gimmes at home against Arizona and a tough Pittsburgh team (that will be looking for revenge after having the score run up on them last year). But what it comes down to for NE, jets and Buffalo is how they all do head-to-head.

I could easily see the Pats finishing at 9-7.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                    Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Wagon Circler 22
                    Nah Bull****. There's no way we are going to let the Brady-less pats win the division. No ****ing way!!

We better win the division this year or I'll be absolutely shocked!
                    HOMER

Comment

• B-DON
                      hi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
                      HOMER
                      PESSIMIST

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Agreed, games against the Jets and Pats are important. Honestly, if the Pats lose to Indianapolis, and then we beat them at home, that would go a long way towards ruining any momentum they've gained recently. The Pats would then play the Jets and Dolphins, where I think the Pats could win 1. So they'd end up near 0.500 at that point, with 5 games left. It wouldn't look that great for them.

And I agree - it's looking more and more like the AFC East could provide both wild cards, especially if the Colts and Chargers don't end up making a run.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                          My IQ Test results came back negative
                          • Oct 2002

In one of my threads..i said 10 wins is a lock to make the WC at least, because of the weaker AFC this year. People laughed at me for saying the AFC is weak. Bills are 5-2...alot of teams are like 3-4 right now that were suppose to be good. People are to worried about pointing out every little thing the bills do wrong and forget to look EVERY TEAM does little things wrong every week. The bills could be in control of there own destiny come week 15 16 17. When was the last time that happen?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TheBrownBear
                            This week is huge. Technically, it's not a must win. But psychologically, it sure feels like one.
                            I agree. If we lose this week, it's going to be easier to focus on the fact that we've lost 3 of our last 4 than the fact that we've still got a very competitive record at 5-3.

This week, at home vs. a division opponent, is critical toward keeping team confidence up. If we win this one, we can comfortably go .500 the rest of the season and still make the playoffs. That said, I think that if we do win this one, we're going to do better than that.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
                              When was the last time that happen?
                              Pretty much last year. At the very latest, the year they got waxed by the Pitt backups and Willie Parker.
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X