PDA

View Full Version : TMQ - Jauron was unprepared

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Sour Play of the Week No. 1: With Miami leading 20-16, Buffalo faced second-and-1 on the Dolphins' 33 in the fourth quarter. Many of football's biggest fiascos happen on second-and-1 -- the tendency is to waste second down because converting on third down will be "easy," and a fiasco follows. On the play, Buffalo threw deep -- incomplete. ("It's a free play," offensive coordinator Turk Schonert may have thought.) On third-and-1 the Bills ran a quarterback sneak, and Trent Edwards stretched forward with the ball and fumbled. The Bills would have been better off with second-and-10 than second-and-1! Buffalo's possession results in the fourth quarter: interception, fumble, safety, fumble, muffed punt. Budgies note: Sometime not long before kickoff, Buffalo reached a contract extension agreement with coach Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. Was Jauron personally involved in negotiating the extension in the days leading up to the game? The Bills seemed poorly prepared in game-plan terms, and seemed not to take Miami seriously as an opponent. If a player was involved in midseason contract negotiations and then performed poorly, he'd be hammered by the sports-yak world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081028&sportCat=nfl

Dozerdog
10-28-2008, 01:53 PM
2nd and 1 is a great time to toss one deep. The defense is usually crowding the line. If it connects, we look like superbowl champs. This is all second-guessing.

If Trent didn't pull a rare bonehead play and try and stretch the ball over his own offensive lineman's helmet and just done basic ball protection, we would have been fine.

Talk about a writer stretching for any concievable angle.

B-DON
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
when did jauron get extended. been gone for a few days but i have not seen or heard this anywhere

Dozerdog
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
This guy has to toss in a "Cheerleader of the week" gimmick into his articles to get people to come back?

Did Phil and Wys co-write this?

justasportsfan
10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
of all the plays to blame Dick, this wasn't one.

Dozerdog
10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
when did jauron get extended. been gone for a few days but i have not seen or heard this anywhere

Apparently during the coach's film review period according to the writer

Night Train
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Easterbrook grew up locally & loves the Bills. He doesn't take kindly to losing to the Fins, like all of us who vividly remember the 0 for 1970's vs. Miami.

That was a personal shot of frustration, like many here the last 48 hours.

patmoran2006
10-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree with Dozer about the long pass call and that it was on Edwards that the fumble happened next.

But I dont think we were very well prepared on either side of the ball, and it didnt look like we took Miami seriously enough-- and that does fall on the head coach.

B-DON
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Apparently during the coach's film review period according to the writer

lol, but honestly, did he get extended or is this writer just throwin stuff out there?

Dozerdog
10-28-2008, 02:08 PM
He signed a 3 year extention this week

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
This guy has to toss in a "Cheerleader of the week" gimmick into his articles to get people to come back?

Did Phil and Wys co-write this?

Easterbrook is one of the best writers on ESPN. I really think you should read his article, its always very analytical and generally very fair.

As far as the cheerleader of the week, if you read him with any frequency you would know he is a very smart guy who usually tastefully sprinkles in cheerleader tidbits with a twist of wry humor.

sounds like I'm paid to promote the guy but he really isnt just a gimmick dude.

justasportsfan
10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Jauron biggest mistake was putting in McGee who wasn't ready to play.

Dozerdog
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Easterbrook is one of the best writers on ESPN. I really think you should read his article, its always very analytical and generally very fair.

As far as the cheerleader of the week, if you read him with any frequency you would know he is a very smart guy who usually tastefully sprinkles in cheerleader tidbits with a twist of wry humor.

sounds like I'm paid to promote the guy but he really isnt just a gimmick dude.He's wayyyy off on blaming Jauron on TE's fumble

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
He's wayyyy off on blaming Jauron on TE's fumble

agree. totally trent's fault.

just dont base the writer off of one comment. As was stated above, hes a Buffalo area native who is probably angry like some of us.

trapezeus
10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
agree. totally trent's fault.

just dont base the writer off of one comment. As was stated above, hes a Buffalo area native who is probably angry like some of us.

i'm with pinkdogg on this. TMQ is very insightful and super analytical. perhaps the specifics he cites aren't all that accurate here, but the point that the bills looked very ill prepared for the game is true.

the bills success has been its ability to make adjustments in the second half. when they've done it, they've won games. when they haven't they've lost. Poor play, poor coaching cost the team the game.

justasportsfan
10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
i'm with pinkdogg on this. TMQ is very insightful and super analytical. perhaps the specifics he cites aren't all that accurate here, but the point that the bills looked very ill prepared for the game is true.

the bills success has been its ability to make adjustments in the second half. when they've done it, they've won games. when they haven't they've lost. Poor play, poor coaching cost the team the game.
no it's all the qb's fault and his alone when it comes to Trapezeus talking about JP . Now he's changing his mind and throwing in the coaches?

Buffalogic
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Ya Jauron should have planned for Trent thinking that the 30 yard line was really the goaline instead..

Jan Reimers
10-28-2008, 03:42 PM
The defensive game plan was terrible. Turnovers, more than bad coaching, wrecked the offense.

Akhippo
10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I think they were unprepared. After we drove down after the Miami TD and stalled I wanted them to pull the same play action pass to the tight end. That always seems to work yet we never run it.

But back to topic. Buffalo wasnt prepared. No real intensity. The third down play was a good call. The next play was also a good call; except for the fumble. All in all pretty straigh forward stuff.

Nighthawk
10-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't think it's a stretch to say Jauron didn't have this team ready to play at the start...we've seen it before.

BuffaloRanger
10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
When our guy got tackled a yard short on first down, I had this bad feeling it was going to come back and haunt us. Yes I always expect the worst.

It's like a hockey team hitting a goal post or missing an open net (pulled goalie) and the other team skating down and scoring.

2nd and 1's piss me off. They get so close on 1st down. If they fail to convert on 2nd and 3rd down it just sucks that much more. Much more painful then not converting a 3 and 6.

Bufftp
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I agree with Dozer about the long pass call and that it was on Edwards that the fumble happened next.

But I dont think we were very well prepared on either side of the ball, and it didnt look like we took Miami seriously enough-- and that does fall on the head coach.
Actually it looked like a young team, young Quarterback caught in a classic trap game. They will learn from it. They will continue to grow.

We are going to have some great teams in the comming years. This team reminds of the early growing 90's teams. I for one am going to enjoy this year, understanding that it is a building block to future greatness, and the addded bonus we are winning now.