PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards Lost Miami Game

ghz in pittsburgh
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Just watched the tape. I really felt that the tide turned on his reaching out fumble.

They were on about Miami 30 yard line, already in field goal range, trailing by 4. They were marching. There were a lot of time left. They can run and they can pass (unlike the later stage of passing only).

The really bad thing is, he had it, as Jauron alluded to in his presser.

To the least, they would get 3 points trailing by 1. And it's everyone's game. The Bills defense was stopping them to a certain degree, at least not giving up 6s at that time.

To me, Edwards inexperience cost us the game, not the safety.

Pinkerton Security
10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
i think we could all see that turnovers were the major difference.

OpIv37
10-28-2008, 07:22 PM
it was stupid of Trent to hang the ball out to try like that.

At the same time, maybe he wouldn't feel the need to do it if our OL could get more push. I think both are at fault.

gr8slayer
10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
He needs to adopt the "**** or get off the pot" method more often. If the play isn't there after 4.5 seconds it's time to take off or get rid of the ball.

Buffatexas
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
was his forward progress not stopped prior to the strip?...I didnt tivo the game to go back and look

buffalony85
10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
He's the reason we were as close as we were, he was constantly pressured, and stood in the pocket to make plays.

Tatonka
10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
yeah.. i hate to **** on edwards after i just proclaimed my man crush for him after last weeks stellar performance, but he cost us huge.. i was so sure going into the 4th that we were going to win this game.. for the first time in so long, i was sure we were going to win.. but that turnover was awful.. and i was in espn sportzone in orlando (disneyworld) and it was so painful being surrounded by annoying ass cubans screaming... oh god.. im going to have a nightmare now.

edwards ****ed us and peters ****ed us.. those two really screwed the pooch in this game. we never should have lost it.. and mcgee should have never been on the field.. he let ginn double his season yardage.. seriously.. what the ****.

Philagape
10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
He blew it, no arguing that

Considering it was his first bad game in seven, in his second year, the future is still bright

Typ0
10-29-2008, 02:53 AM
it solely falls on TE. That play was utter stupidity. It was third down for christ sakes. This is what I expect to see when you talk about growing pains with a young QB though. Hope he doesn't do this one again and I agree, without this fumble the outcome is likely different.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 07:34 AM
total team loss. Edwards had a bad game but the d was also just as bad. Both units are supposed to bail each other out. Neither unit helped out the other. Sad to say, our ST isn't special this year either.

madness
10-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Edwards admitted his mistakes, said he he learned from them and vowed not to repeat them.

We don't have a vet at QB, he's going to make more mistakes as time goes on. It's how he responds to those mistakes that is going to make or break him.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 08:14 AM
total team loss. Edwards had a bad game but the d was also just as bad. Both units are supposed to bail each other out. Neither unit helped out the other. Sad to say, our ST isn't special this year either.

everything is team oriented. That doesn't change the fact that TE alone could have/did change the outcome.

HHURRICANE
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM

I agrre that the reach out was boneheaded and Trent you can only do that at the goal line.

However, if the Bills are so bad that they can only win with Edwards playing well than we really don't belong in the playoff mix.

If everyone feels like using Edwards as the scapegoat so be it. The game was winnable even with Edwards making mistakes.

Even after that turnover I still felt like we could win but our D was god awful and when we needed to sustain a drive our OL couldn't block.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Edwards made his share of mistakes.

HHURRICANE
10-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Edwards made his share of mistakes.

I've seen QBs lose games. The team is playing well and the QB throws 3 picks for scores the other way.

This didn't happen on Sunday.

The reach was stupid and all on him. He did hang onto the ball too long and I don't know if that was with Reed being out, etc. The pick was when he got hit and the safety was on Dockery completely.

The team around him played like crap as well. McGee sucked. Dockery had his worst game as a Bill. Royal should have been cut. Mitchell looked worse than Ellison.

When you have players like McGee, Dockery, Royal, and Mitchell play worse it's hard to just blame it all on Edwards.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
I've seen QBs lose games. The team is playing well and the QB throws 3 picks for scores the other way.

This didn't happen on Sunday.

The reach was stupid and all on him. He did hang onto the ball too long and I don't know if that was with Reed being out, etc. The pick was when he got hit and the safety was on Dockery completely.

The team around him played like crap as well. McGee sucked. Dockery had his worst game as a Bill. Royal should have been cut. Mitchell looked worse than Ellison.

When you have players like McGee, Dockery, Royal, and Mitchell play worse it's hard to just blame it all on Edwards.

i blame Edwards as equally as i would blame Lossman.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 09:14 AM
everything is team oriented. That doesn't change the fact that TE alone could have/did change the outcome.
yes he could've but I don't expect him to do it all the time. He's still learning and will make mistakes.

Pinkerton Security
10-29-2008, 09:15 AM

ya imagine if Losman had a fumble so costly as Edwards....he'd already be assassinated.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 09:18 AM
ya imagine if Losman had a fumble so costly as Edwards....he'd already be assassinated.

he's already dead 10X over.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 09:19 AM
But when JP is the qb , it's all his fault. :coocoo:

BillsOwnAll
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Jp statements are just plain annoying now.

Jan Reimers
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I totally agree. Putting the blame for Sunday's loss solely on Trent is like blaming the sinking of the Titanic on a bad propeller.

Philagape
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Will there ever come a day here when criticism of a player's performance isn't misinterpreted as putting ALL of the blame for a loss on him?

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

and the Lickers would immediately be putting on the rose-colored glasses and pointing elsewhere.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
he's already dead 10X over.

not bad when you consider that Butterfingers has more than 10 fumbles in his career too. didn't he lead the league one year or did somebody overtake him when "he got screwed" out of the starting job?

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
and the Lickers would immediately be putting on the rose-colored glasses and pointing elsewhere.
stupid statement as usual. the so called lickers put blame on JP like we did on Trent . Maybe if you weren't busy crying about censorship to the Mods , you would've read them.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
stupid statement as usual. the so called lickers put blame on JP like we did on Trent . Maybe if you weren't busy crying about censorship to the Mods , you would've read them.

stupid= truth

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
:roflmao:

Griff
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Edwards admitted his mistakes, said he he learned from them and vowed not to repeat them.

We don't have a vet at QB, he's going to make more mistakes as time goes on. It's how he responds to those mistakes that is going to make or break him.

exactly Trent is young, but not dumb, I don't think he'll make a mistake like that again.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
:roflmao:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=163913&page=2

read post #35, laughing boy.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I totally agree. Putting the blame for Sunday's loss solely on Trent is like blaming the sinking of the Titanic on a bad propeller.

I respectfully disagree. I can reduce this loss to a couple of plays easily and those plays involve boneheaded TE plays. He doesn't make those plays we win. Is it a tragedy? No. He's young and smart. I'm not worried. But that doesn't mean he isn't responsible. It's really just a matter of position on things anyway...I blamed JP for losing game, after game, after game, after game, after game....as well. You were one of the people who wanted to spread it around right? There just aren't any other people on the field who handle the ball like the QB does. When the QB is a bonehead you have a losing record. Spread it around all you want for the inadequacies of one person.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I respectfully disagree. I can reduce this loss to a couple of plays easily and those plays involve boneheaded TE plays. He doesn't make those plays we win. Is it a tragedy? No. He's young and smart. I'm not worried. But that doesn't mean he isn't responsible. It's really just a matter of position on things anyway...I blamed JP for losing game, after game, after game, after game, after game....as well. You were one of the people who wanted to spread it around right? There just aren't any other people on the field who handle the ball like the QB does. When the QB is a bonehead you have a losing record. Spread it around all you want for the inadequacies of one person.

:bf1:

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=163913&page=2

read post #35, laughing boy.calling him a goat doens't mean he lost the game by himself. Is that what you're saying then?

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM

the qb didn't give a mediocre wr ,Ginn a career day. While we've been able to control Chad in recent years, Trent didn't make him look like a probowler.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
the qb didn't give a mediocre wr ,Ginn a career day.

no, but absent of QBs boneheaded plays we overcome the positives from Miami's side and win the game. What the hell is the QBs job anyway?

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
calling him a goat doens't mean he lost the game by himself. Is that what you're saying then?

that was the closest that he looked like Lossman. that's what i'm saying. you know what i'm saying?

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
no, but absent of QBs boneheaded plays we overcome the positives from Miami's side and win the game. What the hell is the QBs job anyway?

and the presence of positive defensive plays overcomes the bonehead plays of the qb. It goes both ways. If the D gave Trent the ball back more times, that would be more chances for the O to score. If the D played like they did vs. the seahwaks, we win the game.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
that was the closest that he looked like Lossman. that's what i'm saying. you know what i'm saying?
so in your opinion he didn't lose the game by himlself then?

djjimkelly
10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Just watched the tape. I really felt that the tide turned on his reaching out fumble.

They were on about Miami 30 yard line, already in field goal range, trailing by 4. They were marching. There were a lot of time left. They can run and they can pass (unlike the later stage of passing only).

The really bad thing is, he had it, as Jauron alluded to in his presser.

To the least, they would get 3 points trailing by 1. And it's everyone's game. The Bills defense was stopping them to a certain degree, at least not giving up 6s at that time.

ive not been the biggest trent supporter but even though he made a few mistakes in the 4th i wont blame him for loss.

coaching IMO lost this game

SABURZFAN
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
so in your opinion he didn't lose the game by himlself then?

you said it yourself. they lost as a team.

Philagape
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
In most football games, there are several factors that, taken individually, can change the outcome.
Just to use this game as an example ...
If Trent had played better, the Bills could have won. Therefore Trent lost the game.
If the line had played better, the Bills could have won. Therefore the line lost the game.
If McGee had played better, the Bills could have won. Therefore McGee lost the game.
And so on. All of the above are true.

Football games have multiple causes and effects, especially in close games.
Look at SB 25: It can be said that Norwood lost the game. But it also can be said that several other individual factors lost the game too. All of them can be true and not contradictory.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
In most football games, there are several factors that, taken individually, can change the outcome.
Just to use this game as an example ...
If Trent had played better, the Bills could have won. Therefore Trent lost the game.
If the line had played better, the Bills could have won. Therefore the line lost the game.
If McGee had played better, the Bills could have won. Therefore McGee lost the game.
And so on. All of the above are true.

Football games have multiple causes and effects, especially in close games.
Look at SB 25: It can be said that Norwood lost the game. But it also can be said that several other individual factors lost the game too. All of them can be true and not contradictory.
Mcgee I can't agree on because he is obviously injured and should not have been in the game.

The line is a unit...so it's not an individual there that can impact the game that way.

I guess if you want to dumb things down "if the team played better we would have won" you can. That's what the Justa's of the world want to do. We might as well shut the site down though because that's extreemly boring.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Mcgee I can't agree on because he is obviously injured and should not have been in the game. .. so who's decision was that. Trents? NO it's the coaches.

The line is a unit...so it's not an individual there that can impact the game that way..
:rofl: tell that to the Giants in the last SB.

I guess if you want to dumb things down "if the team played better we would have won" you can. That's what the Justa's of the world want to do. We might as well shut the site down though because that's extreemly boring. If every unit on this team did their job and the coaches made the right decsions, yet the qb still sucked then it's the qb. We may have to shut down the site anyways if posters like you can't use common sense. Might as well call this FH.

JPFBillsFan
10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree 100%....TE's to blame...PERIOD

Philagape
10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Mcgee I can't agree on because he is obviously injured and should not have been in the game.

The line is a unit...so it's not an individual there that can impact the game that way.

I guess if you want to dumb things down "if the team played better we would have won" you can. That's what the Justa's of the world want to do. We might as well shut the site down though because that's extreemly boring.

The point is games are won and lost because of multiple individual factors :whoosh:

Typ0
10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
so who's decision was that. Trents? NO it's the coaches.

:rofl: tell that to the Giants in the last SB.

If every unit on this team did their job and the coaches made the right decsions, yet the qb still sucked then it's the qb. We may have to shut down the site anyways if posters like you can't use common sense. Might as well call this FH.

you are rude and obnoxious. You assume that you are the only person on earth with common sense and if people don't see it your way they are idiots. If I had your common sense I'd shoot myself.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
The point is games are won and lost because of multiple individual factors :whoosh:

all things work on many variables....but there are variables that have a higher correlation than others and changing those variables are the ones that have the most impact on outcome. Without going into long explanations...have you had any experience with regression modeling? It's a good analogy to what I am talking about.

Let's build a little example. I work for a bank. We are evaluating someone's ability to pay for a loan. We find out their parent is rich & they haven't made their mortgage payment in six months. We don't give them the loan because their payment history is much more important than the wealth of their family.

Philagape
10-29-2008, 11:29 AM
all things work on many variables

That's all I'm trying to say.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
That's all I'm trying to say.

and what I'm saying is some variables are weighted more heavily than others...additionally, other variables are harder to control. Heavily weighted variables that more control can be levied over are more important variables in the model. A highly correllated variable like the QB playing poorly is a guarantee of a loss.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
you are rude and obnoxious. You assume that you are the only person on earth with common sense and if people don't see it your way they are idiots. If I had your common sense I'd shoot myself.
your sure can dish it out but can't take it. Relax . I'm just playing with ya.

Typ0
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
your sure can dish it out but can't take it. Relax . I'm just playing with ya.

I stand by what I said...the only reason I am alive is I don't think like you.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't think like you.

you're not capable. :snicker: your blaming trent for this loss proves it.

Jan Reimers
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
If those of you who blame Trent choose to ignore that we had no pressure on Pennington, played 10 yards off Ginn, tackled poorly, abandoned the run game, had horrible field position most of the day because of mediocre special teams play, and were outcoached on both sides of the ball, fine.

It's always easy to blame one key guy - especially the QB - and one or two big plays. And I agree, Trent did not play well. But to ignore our shoddy performance in almost every aspect of the game is just plain ridiculous.

In fact, if I had to lay the blame on just one factor, I would place it squarely on our inability to stop their passing game (and even that would be a combination of no pass rush and playing way too far off their receivers).

Blaming one guy, when almost everyone played poorly, seems rather childish and naive.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Blaming one guy, when almost everyone played poorly, seems rather childish and naive.agreed

Typ0
10-29-2008, 12:51 PM
funny, but when TE came out this season and started playing like the uber QB we won. When TE plays like JP or JP plays we lose. You live by the sword you die by the sword when overall, the team is mediocre...we're just not that solid all around that you can expect any unit to consistenly have a solid outing. So TE plays great and we win and TE plays poorly and we lose. TE is the variable that is the difference between us winning the division, getting to the playoffs, and winning the Super Bowl -- at least this season that's the way it is. And if he'd played well in Miami we would have won.

justasportsfan
10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
funny, but when TE came out this season and started playing like the uber QB we won. When TE plays like JP or JP plays we lose. You live by the sword you die by the sword when overall, the team is mediocre...we're just not that solid all around that you can expect any unit to consistenly have a solid outing. .doesn't mean Trent is to blame for our mediocrity on every unit.

So TE plays great and we win and TE plays poorly and we lose. TE is the variable that is the difference between us winning the division, getting to the playoffs, and winning the Super Bowl -- at least this season that's the way it is. And if he'd played well in Miami we would have won.

thats like saying Jim Kelly is the only reason for our 4 sb appearances. Someone screwed up in canton by enshrining Levy, Bruce and Thurman.

HHURRICANE
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
The fumble was momentum changer. If you want to say that play cost us the game I guess that's fair.

However, relying on Edwards and not playing any kind of D is going to cost us a bunch of games.