PDA

View Full Version : Brunell: QB spurns salary cut

Gunzlingr
05-02-2003, 08:07 AM
By Bart Hubbuch
Times-Union sports writer

As much as he wishes otherwise, Mark Brunell doesn't expect to finish his NFL career in a Jaguars uniform.

Brunell, who has long campaigned to stay in Jacksonville, also doesn't know if his eight-year tenure as the Jaguars' starting quarterback will last eight more months or eight more days after a meeting with team owner Wayne Weaver on Wednesday.

"I do know this much -- I won't retire if I'm not the quarterback here," Brunell said yesterday. "I'm only 32 years old. I'll be playing somewhere for the next five or six years. There's no doubt about that."

Weaver confirmed that he told Brunell that his $10.5 million salary-cap figure for 2004 is "a problem'' and that the team is ceasing talks with him on a contract extension. The developments come less than a week after the team used a first-round pick on Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich, who makes his Jacksonville debut today on the first day of the Jaguars' mandatory minicamp at Alltel Stadium.

MORE (http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/050203/jag_12438017.shtml)

Ebenezer
05-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Those big deals are going to be a thing of the past, imo. Just wait until DBs contract escalates to >$10 mil a year...it will be the same thing here.