PDA

View Full Version : Can the Bills Get Better This Season?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Being in Pittsburgh, I was forced to listen to a lot of Steeler talk and there is a lot of old time Steelers around. Yesterday I heard Merrill Hoge on a local station and I happen to agree with him on this point:

The team that sorts out its problems and gets hot at the right time (read at the end of the season) will do good in the playoff. It's a proven theory.

Of course you have to get into playoff first. But that got me thinking. What area can this Bills team get better going forward?

I can't see our D-Line play better than what they have shown. There will be some ups and downs. Shoebel coming back healthy will be a plus, though I think Denney in his place really solidified run defense. In general I don't see much upside.

I pray for no more injuries on our linebacker corp. That being said, I don't believe they will be better or worse. They are what they are: average.

The secondary is an interesting area. They are still trying to find the best safety combination and they have their #1 pick in McKelvin. This group looks like having better potentials. The key is Mckelvin. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't play him more in Miami instead of pushing a gimpy McGee onto the field. Could it be that he's that green that a 70% McGee is still better?

On offense, I see more potential. First and foremost, Edwards should be getting better as the season goes on. The backs are steady, as long as there is no injuries to Jackson and Lynch. The O-Line has to be marked as the best potential area: they were better last year than they have shown this season with the same personnel. Lee Evans is having a career year and Hardy has been improving. And for tight ends, we are getting to see the youngsters in full swing now.

Every team will have its up and down in a season. Right now it looks to be one of the valleys for the Bills. I just hope that 4-0 start is not their highest peak.

Kenny
10-30-2008, 07:35 AM
On offense, -for sure. Trent will get better, especially given that he's only entering his 2nd year. And our running game cant get any worse.

Im worried about the defense though... we just dont have any pass rush at all.

yordad
10-30-2008, 07:38 AM
I think they can get healthier. None of their key injuries are season ending with the exception of Crowell. Most should be back for the next game. If our passing game can sustain til Josh Reed comes back (never thought I would say that) we should be fine again.

I think when we have starters down our coaches go ultra conservative.

Jan Reimers
10-30-2008, 07:59 AM
I think our run blocking can get better, as that seems to be a matter of schemes and technique.

I think our tackling, which is more a function of hard work and focus, can improve.

I think our secondary can improve with tighter coverage and the development of McKelvin (and the improved health of McGee.)

I think our passing game can improve with the continued improvement of Edwards, and the development of Hardy.

Because of personnel limitations, I don't see our Tight End play, or our pass rush, improving.

Pinkerton Security
10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I would say our D-line is probably not going to improve much on run stopping, we seem to do well with that, but in general if our front 7 can get more pressure it will go a long way to improving our D. We looked real good against the Jags (who were minus 60% of their starting OL) and Hawks, but since then havent done too much as far as consistent pressure by the front 7 goes. I think this is our key, as we all know it can go a long way in covering up holes in the secondary.

Mad Bomber
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
The key area to me is our run blocking needs to get much better. A solid running game is a MUST as the weather starts to deteriorate, and is a key to success in the playoffs.

Hopefully, Trent will learn to play better in inclement weather this year.