PDA

View Full Version : Bills, Cards, Falcons and Packers building something special

Pinkerton Security
10-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf)

Head coach Dick Jauron and his coaching staff have done an outstanding job making the Bills a team that plays as hard as any in the league. The Bills were smart to lock up Jauron with a three-year extension.
Continuity is key when a team is closing in on being a perennial playoff team. Vice president of pro personnel John Guy has a done a great job of acquiring talent, and the Bills have franchise quarterback Trent Edwards (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10536). Edwards is a smart, instinctive player who is an extension of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert on the field. The Bills have a young, talented running back in Marshawn Lynch (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10456), who can pound the ball inside behind a big, physical offensive line. WR Lee Evans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5538) is an explosive playmaker who can attack all levels in the passing game. On defense, the Bills have a big interior, led by Marcus Stroud (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2561) and a very good pass-rusher on the edge in Aaron Schobel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2594). MLB Paul Posluszny (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10478) has enormous potential, while WLB Kawika Mitchell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4505) was a great offseason addition. The secondary is young and talented, led by SS Donte Whitner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9594), and the Bills have one of the best special-teams units in the NFL. This isn't the flashiest team, but it isn't going away anytime soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3670730

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 09:52 AM
The Bills have a young, talented running back in Marshawn Lynch, who can pound the ball inside behind a big, physical offensive line. I wonder who's offensive line he's talking about.

Lynch is averaging a whoping 64.28 ypg behind this OL .Wooohoooo! SB here we come.

Pinkerton Security
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I wonder who's offensive line he's talking about.

Lynch is averaging a whoping 64.28 ypg behind this OL .Wooohoooo! SB here we come.

They are big, the only part he missed was their physicality.

psubills62
10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
I wonder who's offensive line he's talking about.

That's somewhat of a misleading stat. Yes, our running game wasn't very good at the beginning of the year. But it's not like Lynch is the only running back we use. If he was, then that would be a terrible running game. But we're getting 103 yards per game total. Not that good, but a lot better than 64.3 would be.

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
They are big, the only part he missed was their physicality.
they are lard asses who can't open holes for Lynch. Lynch has to scramble to get yards.

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
That's somewhat of a misleading stat. Yes, our running game wasn't very good at the beginning of the year. But it's not like Lynch is the only running back we use. If he was, then that would be a terrible running game. But we're getting 103 yards per game total. Not that good, but a lot better than 64.3 would be.
103 ranks us at 22 in the league.

Our game running isn't a weapon. It's a ball control type of running game that doesn't scare anyone. It's not good enough to bail out Trent should he struggle. Our O is dependent on Trent.

I'm not expecting us to have a Minny type of running game. All I'm looking for is that we at least have a better runnng game than when Willis was here. It isn't the case.

Who were our OL when Willis was here and compare? Our running game should undoubtedly be better better than what Willis had. It isn't so.

Pinkerton Security
10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
they are lard asses who can't open holes for Lynch. Lynch has to scramble to get yards.

Right. Hence why I said he got the big part right, not the physicality.

psubills62
10-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Our game running isn't a weapon. It's a ball control type of running game that doesn't scare anyone. It's not good enough to bail out Trent should he struggle. Our O is dependent on Trent.

I'm not expecting us to have a Minny type of running game. All I'm looking for is that we at least have a better runnng game than when Willis was here. It isn't the case.

Who were our OL when Willis was here and compare? Our running game should undoubtedly be better better than what Willis had. It isn't so.

I didn't say we had a great running game, I just said that was a misleading statistic.

I think our running game is better than you think at this point in the year. Miami was one of the better run defenses we have seen this year, and each of our backs averaged over 4 yards per carry. The only problem was that they didn't see that many carries, partially because we were playing catch-up in the 4th quarter and partially because we kept turning the ball over.

Maybe our running game doesn't have great stats because it isn't needed as much anymore. I'd be willing to bet our run offense was better statistically last year than it is this year. But which offense would you rather have? I'd much rather have this year's offense.

billogic99
10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I think locking Juron up for three years was a mistake. I think the Bills can do better.

Pinkerton Security
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I think locking Juron up for three years was a mistake. I think the Bills can do better.

Like who? We wouldnt get Schottenheimer or Cowher, and they're the only guys i'd want.

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I didn't say we had a great running game, I just said that was a misleading statistic..
I wasn't implying that you said it was great . Sorry if it came out that way.

I think our running game is better than you think at this point in the year. Miami was one of the better run defenses we have seen this year, and each of our backs averaged over 4 yards per carry. The only problem was that they didn't see that many carries, partially because we were playing catch-up in the 4th quarter and partially because we kept turning the ball over.

Maybe our running game doesn't have great stats because it isn't needed as much anymore. I'd be willing to bet our run offense was better statistically last year than it is this year. But which offense would you rather have? I'd much rather have this year's offense.
I'd rather have this years O because of Trent and Turk. The running game however isn't what I expected. I expected better than what we had when WIllis was here. Maybe it will improve. I hope so but right now it's not any better than when Willis was here and thats sad considering all the money we put into this O comapred to when Willis was here with guys like Gandy, Bennie ,Villarial and a young Peters openng holes for him.

madness
10-30-2008, 11:08 AM

Get with the times. Replace Minny with Tenn. :D

It's too early to tell but our run game looks better with Preston in. Hopefully it keeps improving.

psubills62
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM
I wasn't implying that you said it was great . Sorry if it came out that way.

I'd rather have this years O because of Trent and Turk. The running game however isn't what I expected. I expected better than what we had when WIllis was here. Maybe it will improve. I hope so but right now it's not any better than when Willis was here and thats sad considering all the money we put into this O comapred to when Willis was here with guys like Gandy, Bennie ,Villarial and a young Peters openng holes for him.

I agree, I'd like it to be better too. But I'd rather have a good/very good passing game that takes away from the running game than a statistically great running game that doesn't win games. And I do think they're improving this year, that's why I'm not too worried at this point.

The real test will be the Jets. They have the 4th-ranked run defense. If our backs can get good ypc on Sunday, then I'll be very impressed.

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree, I'd like it to be better too. But I'd rather have a good/very good passing game that takes away from the running game than a statistically great running game that doesn't win games. And I do think they're improving this year, that's why I'm not too worried at this point.

The real test will be the Jets. They have the 4th-ranked run defense. If our backs can get good ypc on Sunday, then I'll be very impressed.
I would have to disagree to a certain degree. Without Addai, Peyton and their passing game which happens to have both Harrison and Wayne are not a sb offense. Trent isn't Peyton( yet) and we don't have Harrison and Wayne.

Marv said it best. You have to run and stop the run. Trent would be so much better if our running game was better than it is. Brees/ Rivers had better passing game when LT was playing well . WHen LT struggled, so did their passing game. I know that the run feeds of the pass and vice versa but I would think that having a more potent run game is more important than the passing game. The run not only opens up the passing game, it also wears down D's and controls the clock.

He who has a great running game dictates the game for the most part.

billogic99
10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Like who? We wouldnt get Schottenheimer or Cowher, and they're the only guys i'd want.

I don't know who, this is only week 9, nothing would change till the off season if the team decided to go in another direction anyways. Dick Juron is not going to get this team where it wants to be, it's just not in him. The Bills need a guy that will not allow players to show up, pick up a paycheck and go home. The Bills need a guy who will make you earn the money or play somewhere else. You can't have starting DE's who can't find their way to the QB, or the Biggest Oline in the league that can't run block. You need production and leadership out of your top players and very few Bills fit that discription right now. I think the players on this team could be those type players, they just aren't being held accountable to be that type of player and I think it's because of the coaching. JMO.

Pinkerton Security
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't know who, this is only week 9, nothing would change till the off season if the team decided to go in another direction anyways. Dick Juron is not going to get this team where it wants to be, it's just not in him. The Bills need a guy that will not allow players to show up, pick up a paycheck and go home. The Bills need a guy who will make you earn the money or play somewhere else. You can't have starting DE's who can't find their way to the QB, or the Biggest Oline in the league that can't run block. You need production and leadership out of your top players and very few Bills fit that discription right now. I think the players on this team could be those type players, they just aren't being held accountable to be that type of player and I think it's because of the coaching. JMO.

I am not 100% happy with him either, so you bring up a valid point. I just dont see anyone else out there I like, and continuity really pays off in a lot of cases. Also, about the leadership, we have a young team. Whitner has stepped up and become a leader, and I expect more to follow. I wish we had a fiery guy like Spike somewhere on our D. He was always good at getting the D fired up and sprinting around the field.