PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson to get more involved in offense?

BillsWin
10-30-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/reeds-understudies-at-wide-receiver/2fb7e709-4aa2-4410-9619-3dfabdb17c14

Its looking like the article I wrote could be coming true...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=164019

:rockon:

OpIv37
10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
if Hardy's not ready, how could Johnson possibly be ready?

BillsWin
10-30-2008, 12:38 PM

We wont know until he gets a chance ;)

And who says Hardy isnt ready? hes had some first down catches. Hes dropped a few, but hes improving.

Johnson gets a chance this week. What if he lights it up? what if he doesnt?
The Bills need another threat is all Im saying. Johnson could help in that department.

OpIv37
10-30-2008, 12:40 PM
We wont know until he gets a chance ;)

And who says Hardy isnt ready? hes had some first down catches. Hes dropped a few, but hes improving.

Johnson gets a chance this week. What if he lights it up? what if he doesnt?
The Bills need another threat is all Im saying. Johnson could help in that department.

Hardy did look better against the Fish last week, but I don't think he's ready simply because he's not getting the reps. Before Reed went out on Sunday, they had Parrish in instead of him in a red zone situation. Why would you go with a 5'6" receiver in the red zone instead of a 6'5" receiver unless the 6'5" isn't ready?

BillsWin
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Hardy did look better against the Fish last week, but I don't think he's ready simply because he's not getting the reps. Before Reed went out on Sunday, they had Parrish in instead of him in a red zone situation. Why would you go with a 5'6" receiver in the red zone instead of a 6'5" receiver unless the 6'5" isn't ready?

did we throw in the redzone? I dont remember. I thought we ran it.

Hardy isnt "ready" in the sense that he hasnt mastered everything yet. Certain routes, blocking. But I think he is "ready" in the sense that you can put him out there, throw the ball up and 8-9 times out of 10 he'll get the ball. I think we will see drops go down as the season rolls on, and next year he'll really take off. Hell, we get to the playoffs and it might click for him! As for Johnson, we cant really judge him. But so far hes been good. Thrown to once, caught once for 8 yards. lol. I say throw him in there, if he sucks you can take him out and have Jenkins play. We dont know how ready either is until we turn em lose.

bigbub2352
10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
at 6ft 6 he should have mastered 2 routes the slant inside when not in the endzone and the slant in the endzone to the outside pop warner teaches that
that is just bad coaching it was open all day from the stands u could see it how they couldnt i am not sure
Steve Johnson should have had playing time already jenkins has done nothing on STs this season to warrant a start over him, and Roscoe cant get open so what is it gonna hurt get him in there more weapons

streetkings01
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Hardy did look better against the Fish last week, but I don't think he's ready simply because he's not getting the reps. Before Reed went out on Sunday, they had Parrish in instead of him in a red zone situation. Why would you go with a 5'6" receiver in the red zone instead of a 6'5" receiver unless the 6'5" isn't ready?I thought Parrish was 5'9 3/4?

bigbub2352
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM

exactly!!! great post its called bad coaching

yordad
10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
“This is what we do and that’s why you have backups,” said Jenkins. “And I’m happy to go in there and get grimy with those guys because they’re going to try to take us lightly. They’ll see a new guy in there and they’re going to try to come downhill on us. So it’s going to be fun for the first quarter and a half letting them get to know me a little bit.”

I like the sound of it.

OpIv37
10-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I thought Parrish was 5'9 3/4?

He's officially listed at 5'9" but people who have seen him up close say he's closer to 5'6".

Official height and weight listings by the team are often exaggerated. WR's and QB's are often listed as taller and heavier than they are in reality, defensive tackles tend to be listed lighter than their actual weight.

OpIv37
10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
did we throw in the redzone? I dont remember. I thought we ran it.

Hardy isnt "ready" in the sense that he hasnt mastered everything yet. Certain routes, blocking. But I think he is "ready" in the sense that you can put him out there, throw the ball up and 8-9 times out of 10 he'll get the ball. I think we will see drops go down as the season rolls on, and next year he'll really take off. Hell, we get to the playoffs and it might click for him! As for Johnson, we cant really judge him. But so far hes been good. Thrown to once, caught once for 8 yards. lol. I say throw him in there, if he sucks you can take him out and have Jenkins play. We dont know how ready either is until we turn em lose.

I honestly don't remember if we ran or passed on that play- I just remember seeing Reed, Evans and Parrish and wondering why Hardy wasn't in there.

Good points on the rest of it.

trapezeus
10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
how many times have the bills been burned by a no name hack player? Wouldn't it be great if we could do that to another team just once. Can you imagine if Jenkins gets like 10 catches for 200 yards and 2 TDs? We've let other teams do it, why can't we get that. We're due.

Luisito23
10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Can you imagine if Jenkins gets like 10 catches for 200 yards and 2 TDs?

:rofl:...Sure...

Stewie
10-30-2008, 01:53 PM

because they are two different people?

TigerJ
10-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Hardy is probably going to get more touches than he has, but he has a different kind of body than Reed, and that dictates a little different role, particularly with respect to blocking. I think Reed is a little like a basketball player who gets a lot of easy baskets because he's small and bigger players don't notice himd down low, or the hockey player who hangs around the net and gets a lot of rebound goals even though he's not the flashiest skater, and doesn't have magical stick handling skills. Reed is never going to be a star, but he's a role player, and the role he plays is pretty important. Hardy is going to create a role for himself over time, but it's a different role than Reed plays.

User Manuel
10-30-2008, 03:50 PM

OP, come on you are smarter than that. Under your theory everyone is the same and no one but the top pick in the draft could be truly ready. The NFL is littered with guys who got an opportunity and seized it (Edwards ring a bell) as well as guys who were handed opportunity and choked on it (Marinovich, Mcnown, etc..).

patmoran2006
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
He wont be more involved, unless you count like 1 catch for 6 yards as involved.

Its obvious as day that Jauron has no intentions on using his rookies' unless he has too, with Hardy being the lone exception, becuase he LITERALLY has to.

Parrish and even Jenkins will see a lot of snaps.. not Johnson.. that's my prediction.

DraftBoy
10-30-2008, 05:53 PM

Johnson was a Senior out of Kentucky and was more polished than Hardy coming out of school. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him be more prepared than Hardy at this moment.

Confused
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
OP, come on you are smarter than that. Under your theory everyone is the same and no one but the top pick in the draft could be truly ready. The NFL is littered with guys who got an opportunity and seized it (Edwards ring a bell) as well as guys who were handed opportunity and choked on it (Marinovich, Mcnown, etc..).

Todd Marinovich reference!!!!!! top notch!!!!!!!!!

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2008, 06:27 PM
He wont be more involved, unless you count like 1 catch for 6 yards as involved.

Its obvious as day that Jauron has no intentions on using his rookies' unless he has too, with Hardy being the lone exception, becuase he LITERALLY has to.

Parrish and even Jenkins will see a lot of snaps.. not Johnson.. that's my prediction.

I disagree. I'm betting Johnson gets at least a half dozen targets.

Confused
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Johnson was suposta be a sleeper. time for him to wake up.

Am I the only one here who thinks he looks like MiliVanilli?

Oaf
10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
When's the last time we've thrown a backup WR the ball? Reed and Parrish have been out before the last few seasons, including this one but I've never seen more than one throw to their replacements (Aiken, Jenkins, Wilson, Johnson, etc.) I'll be surprised if Jenkins/Johnson combine for more than 3 catches or 25 yards.

Typ0
10-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I think a receiver has to work with a QB a lot to be effective. With both TE and the rookies learning the offense and other guys taking the snaps in TC and up to now I don't see much coming from the rookie receivers other than what we've seen already.