PDA

View Full Version : Answers for quick passing game

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
By Chris Brown - Posted October 30th, 2008
As mentioned earlier this week the completion percentage against the Bills defense has been extraordinarily high the past three games (76.2%) by opposing quarterbacks. The quick passing game has been a reason for it.

With Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers and Chad Pennington all good at executing that type of passing attack, the Bills have had trouble neutralizing it, and this will be no different with Brett Favre, who knows how to execute a quick passing, timing offense from all his years in the west coast at Green Bay.

So I asked a few players in Buffalo’s locker room what they have to do in their different position groups to neutralize the effectiveness of the quick passing game, after being relatively unsuccessful the past three weeks. Here are the answers.

Terrence McGee addressed what cornerbacks can do

“The best thing you can do is get in a receiver’s face and knock down a ball or just get in their face and disrupt the route,” McGee said. ”That’s the only way you’re going to stop it. If you’re playing off you’re basically just saying throw it and I’m going to tackle you.”

Paul Posluszny on a linebacker’s role in neutralizing the quick passing game

“I think for us we just have to be really solid on our pass drops,” said Posluszny. ”We’ve got to get to our spots quickly, look for receivers, tip balls, make big hits, anything to discourage the receivers from running those types of routes and making them a little hesitant, that’s always a good thing. That’s definitely what we’ve really got to focus on.”

And finally Spencer Johnson on what the men up front need to do to thwart a quick rhythm passing attack.

“The quick pass is something that is about timing so it depends on our film study and knowing formations, and getting our hands up,” Johnson said. ”We can’t get to him if he’s throwing the ball really quick, so just getting our hands up and making plays and knocking the ball down or hopefully making interceptions.”

A lot of fans have e-mailed me complaining about the lack of pressure, but if the ball is coming out that fast, getting pressure is a pipe dream.

So in summation, guys up front have to get their hands in passing lanes, the backers have to drop quickly into their zones and get physical with wideouts inside five yards and the corners have to play more press to re-route or ruin the receiver’s timing with the QB to keep the QB from going to his first read so quickly, to give the guys up front time to pressure.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

Mr. Miyagi
10-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Terrence McGee addressed what cornerbacks can do

“The best thing you can do is get in a receiver’s face and knock down a ball or just get in their face and disrupt the route,” McGee said. ”That’s the only way you’re going to stop it. If you’re playing off you’re basically just saying throw it and I’m going to tackle you.”
Oh yeah, like the way you defended Ted Ginn last Sunday?? :mad:

EDS
10-30-2008, 02:55 PM
The Bills have been vulnerable to short/quick passing games for years now but the defensive coaches haven't done anything about it.

That said, I think the Bills should handle the Jets this week. I am more concerned about NE the following week - even without Brady.

RockStar36
10-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I love how McGee comments like he is some kind of expert on the topic, yet they are all constantly burnt by the quick pass. Maybe...just maybe, they should stop playing off the receiver so much to prevent it.

justasportsfan
10-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Cmon guys. McGee is the best cb we have. Not his fault he was thrown in there by the coaches even if he wasn't ready. He was just trying to answer what they asked him.

Forward_Lateral
10-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the coaches are telling them to play off? Did that occur to anyone?

SquishDaFish
10-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Where they play (Mcgee last week) has to come from the defensive coaches scheme. Plus McGee being thrown in when he wasnt ready didnt help.

madness
10-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the coaches are telling them to play off? Did that occur to anyone?

I think people all of a sudden forgot how conservative Fewell can be at times. Maybe the predictable blitzing schemes has thrown them off guard.

Fewell can be great when he feels confident (meaning: having talent and zero injuries) but as soon as a couple guys go down, he goes into prevent mode.

EDS
10-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Then the coaches are dumb.

TacklingDummy
10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
The secondaries job would be alot easier if the Bills defensive ends would get some pressure on the QB.

ParanoidAndroid
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Jam the receicvers at the line? Brilliant!

yordad
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
The secondaries job would be alot easier if the Bills defensive ends would get some pressure on the QB.What came first, the chicken or the egg? Both have been bad.

Night Train
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Due to the fact that the pash rush is MIA.

Works like a domino effect.