PDA

View Full Version : 3 years from now....

T-Long
10-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I just got finished watching the clip on bb.com about McKelvin and Bobby April was being interviewed. I started to wonder if he is head coach material. When Nolan was fired by SF, Singletary was promoted from the Assistant Head Coach position. This is the same position April holds. Just wanted to see what you all thought, if Jauron is gone in 3 years, what coach would you promote to head coach from our team?

Lexwhat
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Andy Reid and Jim Zorn were also assistant head coaches (never coordinators) who became head coaches. I'm sure there are a few others.

I'm not sure how Bobby April would do though.

yordad
10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm gonna go with Dick Jauron.

bigbub2352
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Bobby April already was a HC in the NFL he filled in when St Louis's coach got fired a while back, i beleive it was Mike Martz

I think and hope the DJ experiance ends as soon as possible, i have watched him get out coached enough and his past track record and poor clock management in past game turns me off to the notion he could take us to the promise land, he works cheap and that is why Ralphy tied him up for 3 more years even though he has 2 losing records the last 2 years

I hope and pray we can get a passionate coach in here someone the complete opposite of Wade, Mularkey, Williams, DJ, someone who looks like they care on the sidelines
Man i would luv Bill Cohwer but our owner never pays for coaches

OpIv37
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Andy Reid and Jim Zorn were also assistant head coaches (never coordinators) who became head coaches. I'm sure there are a few others.

I'm not sure how Bobby April would do though.

Just to clear something up:

Most coaches have clauses in their contracts that say they can only leave if it is for a promotion. So, "assistant head coach" is just legal-ese to prevent people from leaving because technically, a coordinator is below an assistant head coach. The only way someone with an "assistant head coach" title can leave is if another team offers them a head coaching position.

Technically, the Redskins don't have an offensive or defensive coordinator. They have an "assistant head coach-offense" and an "assistant head coach-defense" that do the same thing as the coordinators on other teams.

So, just because they never had the tile of "coordinator" does not mean they never fulfilled the duties of a coordinator. Chances are those two guys were doing something very similar to what coordinators do before they became head coaches.

But, to get back on topic, I hope the coach of the Bills is Dick Jauron. I don't particularly care for Jauron for a variety of reasons I've already stated numerous times but:
1. Changing coaches is disruptive and usually leads to a year or two of losing before the new coach gets it right and
2. If Jauron is still here in 3 years, it will mean he did well enough to get another extension, which most likely means Bills victories.

I'll gladly admit I was wrong and change my view on Jauron if he can keep this team winning.

BillsWin
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
You didnt put Dick Jauron staying on there.

Put me down for Dick Jauron.

But since you said IF he was gone.... Im gunna go with Turk schonert. In his first year as a coordinator he has put his stamp on this offense and it will continue to get better has he works out kinks. But I think that Jauron will stay. Hes completely changed this franchise from bottom feeders to contenders.

yordad
10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
In order to answer this question I would have to interview them first.

Griff
10-31-2008, 06:35 PM
DJ until further notice

Lexwhat
11-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Just to clear something up:

Most coaches have clauses in their contracts that say they can only leave if it is for a promotion. So, "assistant head coach" is just legal-ese to prevent people from leaving because technically, a coordinator is below an assistant head coach. The only way someone with an "assistant head coach" title can leave is if another team offers them a head coaching position.

Technically, the Redskins don't have an offensive or defensive coordinator. They have an "assistant head coach-offense" and an "assistant head coach-defense" that do the same thing as the coordinators on other teams.

So, just because they never had the tile of "coordinator" does not mean they never fulfilled the duties of a coordinator. Chances are those two guys were doing something very similar to what coordinators do before they became head coaches.

I think you are right about the "Assistant Head Coach" title, and I had forgotten about that. I wasn't sure about their coordinator duties, so I decided to verify, and found 6 coaches:

1. Andy Reid -- Assistant Coach / Quarterbacks Coach for the Packers before coming to the Eagles. It doesn't appear as if he had any "coordinator-type" duties, but not 100% sure.

Reid enjoyed a two-year stint as the Packers quarterbacks coach, working with Brett Favre from 1997-98. Prior to tutoring Green Bay's quarterbacks, Reid oversaw the tight ends, while assisting offensive line coach Tom Lovat. It was in his first years with Green Bay that Holmgren urged Reid to learn the entire offensive system, not just the roles of the offensive line and tight ends.

In fact, Holmgren placed the "supervisory" tag on Reid in 1996 to prevent NFL clubs from hiring him as anything other than a head coach unless given permission.

2. Mike Singletary -- Assistant Coach / Linebackers Coach for the 49ers. Doesn't appear to have had coordinator experience. Some guy named Greg Manusky has been their D-Coordinator since 2007.

3. Tony Sparano -- Assistant Coach / Offensive Line Coach for the Cowboys before becoming Dolphins head coach. Doesn't appear to have had coordinator experience.

4. John Harbaugh -- Secondary Coach and Special Teams Coach only for the Eagles before becoming Ravens head coach. Doesn't appear to have had coordinator experience or the assistant head coach title.

5. Jim Zorn -- Quarterbacks Coach only for the Seahawks before becoming Redskins head coach. Doesn't appear to have had coordinator experience or the assistant head coach title.

6. Tom Cable -- Eh, who cares about the Raiders?

... Interesting stuff.

clumping platelets
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
:clump: