PDA

View Full Version : Sabres change lines

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Lindy Ruff held a closed door, 30-plus minute meeting that delayed the
start of Friday morning's Sabres practice at HSBC Arena. When the team
took the ice, it was without defenseman Mike Weber.

The lines were juggled quite a bit as well, with Ales Kotalik skating
with Thomas Vanek and Derek Roy. Clarke MacArthur and Jason Pominville
were centered by Tim Connolly, while Paul Gaustad was in between Dan
Paille and Patrick Kaleta.

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Shake-Things-Up/3237223

Hmmm.....

Part of me says it is too early to make these changes. But they have also looked like crap the last two games.

BTW, I like Weber but he was terrible last night. Paestch has actually played well and I am fine with him in the line-up ahead of Weber while Weber plays in Portland.

OpIv37
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't like Kaleta with Gaustad and Paille. He'll hold Paille back. I like the other two lines though.

RockStar36
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't like Max...but that isn't the point.

Something needed to be done after the last two games.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Mac, Timmy and Pominville could be deadly. (Although Timmy and Max have been great together before).

I agree Paille will be held back but if Peters is out, one of the forwards who can be offensive will be held back with Kaleta. (Unless they go with Mair, Goos and Kaleta, but injuries a center make that difficult).

The Hecht thing is interesting. I assume that is due to injury.

OpIv37
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't like Max...but that isn't the point.

Something needed to be done after the last two games.

Funny how there's no mention of him- looks like he's relegated to the 4th line.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Funny how there's no mention of him- looks like he's relegated to the 4th line.

He is with Stafford and Mair.

Not sure if that is the 4th line or if Kaleta, Goose and Paille is the 4th line. I would say the two are 3A and 3B.

Nighthawk
10-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Not sure if that is the 4th line or if Kaleta, Goose and Paille is the 4th line. I would say the two are 3A and 3B.

Trade Max and bring up Gerbe!

OpIv37
10-31-2008, 12:49 PM

Agreed.

Speaking of which, Stafford is having a terrible year. I remember after 06-07, he was really coming along, then Paille quickly surpassed him. And Mair has been a bit of a surprise. He's not that good, but for a guy who's usually a 4th line goon, he plays decent hockey and looks like he can be an emergency 3rd liner.

ZacGriffi~82
10-31-2008, 02:53 PM
The Gaustad - Paille - Kaleta line is my favorite. Kaleta is a better player then most think. This isn't Peters we're talking about.

OpIv37
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
The Gaustad - Paille - Kaleta line is my favorite. Kaleta is a better player then most think. This isn't Peters we're talking about.

you could be right. But we don't know because Kaleta would rather play for the check than play for the puck.

ZacGriffi~82
10-31-2008, 03:32 PM
No doubt that Kaleta needs to pick his spots better. I think he will though on this line. When he's on that "energy line", going for the big hit is essentially his responsibility.

A good example of what he can bring to the table was a shift he had last night. I don't remember who he was out there with, but it wasn't a Gaustad, Mair or Peter's type player. There was a dump in and he just went balls to the wall in there after it. He drew a penalty on the play that led to the Sekera (Vanek?) goal. That's what we lack so much in these game where we look awful...a forecheck. Kaleta can be really strong behind the net.

Nothing pisses me off more then when one of Gaustad, Paille or Kaleta goes in to aggresively pursue the puck and then no one follows their lead. You have to come in waves to be successful on the forecheck. I think these three guys understand this more then anyone else on our team, so i hope they can set the tone.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-31-2008, 03:55 PM

what's so hard to figure out?

Kotalik Roy Vanek
MacArthur Connolly Pommers
Stafford Mair Afinogenov
Kaleta Goose Paille

scratched Peters

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=DepthChartPage&dcid=7

OpIv37
10-31-2008, 05:06 PM
No doubt that Kaleta needs to pick his spots better. I think he will though on this line. When he's on that "energy line", going for the big hit is essentially his responsibility.

A good example of what he can bring to the table was a shift he had last night. I don't remember who he was out there with, but it wasn't a Gaustad, Mair or Peter's type player. There was a dump in and he just went balls to the wall in there after it. He drew a penalty on the play that led to the Sekera (Vanek?) goal. That's what we lack so much in these game where we look awful...a forecheck. Kaleta can be really strong behind the net.

Nothing pisses me off more then when one of Gaustad, Paille or Kaleta goes in to aggresively pursue the puck and then no one follows their lead. You have to come in waves to be successful on the forecheck. I think these three guys understand this more then anyone else on our team, so i hope they can set the tone.

I agree with that- there's nothing more frustrating than seeing someone make a great forechecking play then cough the puck up because no one else followed the play and got open.

Dr. Lecter
10-31-2008, 05:50 PM
what's so hard to figure out?

Kotalik Roy Vanek
MacArthur Connolly Pommers
Stafford Mair Afinogenov
Kaleta Goose Paille

scratched Peters

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=DepthChartPage&dcid=7

Very good.

You posted the same thing I did, just from a different link!!!!

The point is, the last two lines are fairly equal and neither one is a true 4th line.

SABURZFAN
11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
now is the time for Pominville and Roy to step up. Connolly is friggin horrible. he's the JP Losman of hockey.

SABURZFAN
11-02-2008, 11:32 AM
now is the time for Pominville and Roy to step up. Connolly is friggin horrible. he's the JP Losman of hockey.

way to go Pommers and Roy. :beers:

:monkeyp: Connolly

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM

are you :crazy:

he makes this PP better did you see what he did last night on Roy's PP goal. He shot the puck over the top of the net to get it to Pommers, Pommers then went back behind the net, dished it to Roy, and Roy shot the puck off Theodore's back and the puck rolled off his back and into the back of the net. He had an assist last night.

fans of Mike Peca when he was with the Sabres have to stop living in the past. Peca didn't want to be here so the Sabres traded him and got Connolly. you're just another Connolly hater who hasn't gotten over Peca leaving.

Dr. Lecter
11-02-2008, 06:34 PM

I don't understand the Losman comparison.

Connolly is injury prone, but productive when playing.

Nothing like JP. Not at all.

Nighthawk
11-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't understand the Losman comparison.

Connolly is injury prone, but productive when playing.

Nothing like JP. Not at all.

Very true. He may be a pu**y, but he is freakin' talented.

ZacGriffi~82
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM

I stand by this statement. This line is exactly what we needed.

chubluv
11-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Kaleta knows he needs to work on his offensive game if he wants to stay up here. I thought in NJ he looked a lot better in the corners then he usually does. maybe it had some thing to with not playing with Peters. Lindy has used Kaleta in different situations this year, and I think he is getting better with time.