PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers Signs Extension

Lexwhat
11-01-2008, 01:52 AM
... signing the first-year starter to a contract extension through 2014.

The deal is worth $65 million over six years, with $20 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c1a549&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

------------------------

I think his deal will have a big effect on a possible Trent Edwards contract.

yordad
11-01-2008, 02:33 PM
... signing the first-year starter to a contract extension through 2014.

The deal is worth $65 million over six years, with $20 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c1a549&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

------------------------

I think his deal will have a big effect on a possible Trent Edwards contract.I think that deal sucks (not for Rodgers, of course).

hammerbillsfan
11-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Boy, I can't wait for this lockout to start!

Lexwhat
11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I think that deal sucks (not for Rodgers, of course).

His rookie deal would have expired after the 2009 season, and the Packers had a boatload of cap space this year. They applied most of his bonus money to this year's cap, which was smart.

Do you think the deal sucks because he's a bad player?

yordad
11-02-2008, 01:18 AM
His rookie deal would have expired after the 2009 season, and the Packers had a boatload of cap space this year. They applied most of his bonus money to this year's cap, which was smart.

Do you think the deal sucks because he's a bad player?No, I think the deal sucks because it is huge, and dude hasn't done anything yet. It is surely to be in the mind of Edwards' agent.

Lexwhat
11-02-2008, 01:57 AM
No, I think the deal sucks because it is huge, and dude hasn't done anything yet. It is surely to be in the mind of Edwards' agent.

I think Rodgers will turn out to be a very good player. I'm not big on stats, but he's thrown 12 TDs and only 4 INTs this year, and has also been playing with a sprained shoulder the past few weeks. Pretty impressive, IMO. I've watched him play too, and he has good command of the offense.

The Packers had about $20 million in cap space this year, and applied most of his bonus towards this year's cap. Good cap economics by the Packers. $10 million a year isn't bad for a quality starting QB in this league.

If he turns out to be a good player like I think he will, it will be a great deal for both sides.

And yes, I agree that Edwards will get a similar contract as far as money goes.