PDA

View Full Version : The Favre factor

shelby
11-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards was asked last week how fans would react if he had thrown seven interceptions in the past three games, as Brett Favre has done for the New York Jets.
"I'm sure the media would be all over me," Edwards said. "I'd be trying to find excuses, and I'm sure there would be some questions as to whether or not I should and could even play in this position on this team. [But] this is only my second year in the league. The quarterback that the Jets have is in a much different stage in his career."
The scrutiny, however, never ends for an NFL quarterback, even for one bound for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The 39-year-old Favre takes the Ralph Wilson Stadium field today aiming to put an end to a week of hand-wringing over his propensity to throw interceptions this season.
The Bills (5-2) hope they can take advantage of New York turnovers and stay ahead of the Jets (4-3) in a key AFC East division meeting.
The Jets had designs on Super Bowl contention when they acquired Favre on Aug. 6 in a trade with Green Bay. So far the Jets have not looked super. Favre is tied for the league lead in interceptions with 11. New York was blown out at San Diego, lost at Oakland and struggled last week to beat lowly Kansas City.
Jets coach Eric Mangini last week told Favre to be a little more judicious in his decisions and used a blackjack analogy to make his point.
"You just stress, don't hit on 20, you know what I mean?" Mangini said.
Favre, in his 18th NFL season, knows what he means.
"Believe me, I'm well aware of what is expected of me and how important it is to take care of the ball," he said. "I've played a long time. ... I know statistically speaking, if you turn the ball over more than your opponent, you lose. That's two times in three weeks we've won. Can you make a living doing that? Every coach, any statistician would tell you no. I don't plan on doing that."

more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/481213.html)