PDA

View Full Version : Trent: "I went throguh my progressions too quickly, and it won't happen again"

Coach Sal
11-02-2008, 09:49 AM
This, according to Rachael Nichols of ESPN (what he told her).

The biggest criticsim of Edwards of a QB (other than the arm strength nonsense) has been that he often looks to his 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th option too quickly and thus the "checkdown" label.

He says - after watching film - this is exactly what he did against Miami and that he won't do that again today against the Jets.

If this is the case (which it probably is), it's why he held on to the ball too long and was sacked/hit too often at Miami. If he leaves his first option then looks to his 2nd or 3rd and they are covered, there's much more of a chance of getting sacked - especially with a QB like Trent who will rarely take stupid chances.

All this, to me, adds up to Lee Evans being looked to even more often today, as well as some more downfiled throws. Not necessarily deep throws.....in fact, maybe even quicker ones. But definitely more to the WRs and less to the TEs and RBs.

Good. Because the Jets secondary is their weak link.

HendersonD06
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Are you kidding me? The Jets have one hell of an elite secondary with two pro bowl types of talents in Revis and Kerry Rhodes... Lee Evans will make some plays today but you know what? Revis is becoming the next best thing as far as CB's go, this kid can do it all... If Trent Edwards looks for Evans all game, Revis WILL make an impact play. Is he "Shut down"? That term died when Deon Sanders left the game if you ask me, but Revis is as close to being a lock down corner if I've ever seen one. Kerry Rhodes is a beast and honestly...One of the best safetys in the game today and we also drafted a rookie CB by the name of Dwight Lowery who has been a play-maker for this Jets defense.

Yeah our Rush defense is ranked #4 overall and ONLY allowing 3.2 yards per carry, thats the reason why teams have been passing the ball...But if anyone thinks the Jets secondary is the "Weak link" Because teams are forced to throw the ball...They are mistaken. This secondary can play

clumping platelets
11-02-2008, 10:33 AM
:popcorn:

Forward_Lateral
11-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Are you kidding me? The Jets have one hell of an elite secondary with two pro bowl types of talents in Revis and Kerry Rhodes... Lee Evans will make some plays today but you know what? Revis is becoming the next best thing as far as CB's go, this kid can do it all... If Trent Edwards looks for Evans all game, Revis WILL make an impact play. Is he "Shut down"? That term died when Deon Sanders left the game if you ask me, but Revis is as close to being a lock down corner if I've ever seen one. Kerry Rhodes is a beast and honestly...One of the best safetys in the game today and we also drafted a rookie CB by the name of Dwight Lowery who has been a play-maker for this Jets defense.

Yeah our Rush defense is ranked #4 overall and ONLY allowing 3.2 yards per carry, thats the reason why teams have been passing the ball...But if anyone thinks the Jets secondary is the "Weak link" Because teams are forced to throw the ball...They are mistaken. This secondary can play

The Jets are 23rd vs the pass, I would hardly call that "elite".

Nighthawk
11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Coach, you don't get sacked because you look to your 2nd, 3rd or 4th options too quickly...you get sacked because you don't look to those options. That being said, I hope Trent looks better today or we're in trouble.

Coach Sal
11-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Coach, you don't get sacked because you look to your 2nd, 3rd or 4th options too quickly...you get sacked because you don't look to those options. That being said, I hope Trent looks better today or we're in trouble.
That's not true.

It can go either way.

Look to #1. He's covered.
Look to #2. He's covered.
Look to #3. Sack (if you can't hold long enough up front).

The trick is getting rid of it at somepoint, even when guys are covered.

Nighthawk
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
That's not true.

It can go either way.

Look to #1. He's covered.
Look to #2. He's covered.
Look to #3. Sack (if you can't hold long enough up front).

The trick is getting rid of it at somepoint, even when guys are covered.

Yes, it can go either way, but rarely is a QB sacked because he goes through his reads too quickly. The majority of QBs getting sacked is because they lock onto a WR waiting for him to get open.

HendersonD06
11-02-2008, 04:36 PM
The Jets are 23rd vs the pass, I would hardly call that "elite".

Thats because it's just about impossible for teams to run on the Jets front 7...We were without our best overall defensive player in David Harris...He's the heart of our defense and the leader of this 3-4 Defense...And look what happened today, the Bills couldnt get ANYTHING going on the ground and to be honest, it's been like this all year long (Other than the Raiders game)

Once again...The Jets forced their opponent (Bills) to pass the ball, one would only hope the offense would pick up some yards but the bottom line is this, the Jets sacked Edwards a good what? 4 or 5 times today? And our secondary made some HUGE plays...

Like I was saying before the game, it's hard to call this Jets secondary a "Weak link" when you have players such as Revis Who's becoming a Lock down Corner-The best overall corner in the AFC East, hands down. Kerry Rhodes (Top 5 Safety), Dwight Lowery who is having an amazing rookie season with a bench player in Elam who just returned an INT for a TD on the road...

Just because teams CANT run on the Jets, doesn't mean that this secondary lacks the talent or is "Weak"