PDA

View Full Version : Biron article at the World Championships

BironsGirl43
05-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Sabres starter Biron accepts No. 3 role at world hockey championships

By PIERRE LeBRUN -- Canadian Press

TURKU, Finland -- While some NHLers turn down the chance to play for Canada at the world hockey championship, Martin Biron didn't need to be convinced.

Biron is the No. 1 goalie for the Buffalo Sabres but at the world championships he is behind Canadian starter Sean Burke and Roberto Luongo.

"The bottom line is that we have a guy that's playing in our third goaltender role that would be the No. 1 goaltender on most teams in this tournament," said Canadian head coach Andy Murray. "He's a tremendous young goalie and he's had a great attitude. He keeps everybody loose. I've never seen the guy when he isn't talking.

"He's a great guy who always has a smile on his face."

Burke will start Friday when Canada (3-0) plays upstart Denmark (TSN, 9 a.m. EDT) in the first of three qualifying-round games.

The Danes (1-2-0) won the right to play in the A pool after beating host Hungary 6-2 in the final of B world championships last year. Most of their players are Danish League pros although six come from the Swedish Elite League.

Murray warned his players not to take Denmark lightly, especially after the Danes beat the U.S. 5-2 last weekend.

"Our players have a lot of respect for Denmark," said Murray. "Right now the U.S. is playing in Tampere (in the relegation round) maybe because they didn't have enough respect for Denmark."

Biron will be cheering his teammates from the stands, where he will help keep stats.

The native of Lac St. Charles, Que., says he's had the world championship in mind for quite a while.

"Last year (former Canada GM) Lanny McDonald called me and asked me if I wanted to be part of it. But it was just bad timing for me personally. I was getting married and there were a lot of things happening," Biron said after practice.

"But I really wanted to be part of this experience so when the chance came again this year I really wanted to do it. I was part of the world juniors in 1997 -- we won the gold and it was a great experience."

He says the world juniors gave him a real boost in his last year of junior and hopes this year's championship will give him a edge heading into next season.

"Something else that weighed in when I got the call was that Sean Burke was here," Biron said. "I always followed his career. He's an unbelievable goaltender. With him winning the worlds in '97, I know he has that experience. I thought I could come in and get a few pointers here and there

http://www.slam.ca/Slam030501/hky_can-cp.html

Great article...

The most impressive part of the article is where he says.. that he's glad Sean Burke is there and that he wants to get a few pointers here and there.. that's awesome.. he's always looking for improvement..

GO MARTY!!! :p:

Earthquake Enyart
05-02-2003, 01:55 PM
He better be looking to improve. :eek:

BironsGirl43
05-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
He better be looking to improve. :eek:

That's all you had to say!?!

OMG.. I thought the article was great in the sense that it showed what kind of person he is.. he's trying to make things better.. he went to represent his country even though he won't get to play.. he's just showing that he has heart and the fact that he's looking for some pointers is good to see because he still wants to be better.. that is encouraging to see..

And I still think that even the average year.. he's still a great goalie who will only get better.. people are quick to write him off because of Ryan Miller.. I don't think it's really fair.. but we'll see what happens..

Earthquake Enyart
05-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice enough guy but........

He's had every opportunity and he can't seem to nail it down.

BironsGirl43
05-02-2003, 02:13 PM
True enough..

I hope it won't be long..

I'd like to see him succeed....

Earthquake Enyart
05-02-2003, 03:17 PM
I would too....

But I think the chances of that are less than what you think they are. :eek:

Demon
05-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Biron had 2 years to show something but he didn't. I even think Biron played worse this year. We gotta trade him while his value is high, and start Mika Noronen.