X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

McGahee assigned #2!?

The Bills Roster that first had McGahee with the #46 jersey now has him listed as #2. If he really did wear #2 I think it be a pretty significant statement. Saying that he is special enough as a RB that he would be allowed to wear a number not assigned to his position. Afterall, we now he is in town and maybe he convinced somebody to give him the #2. It could be nothing but it suprised me to see that.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Any player can technically wear any number.

Keyshawn is #19

It is just looked down upon ty the NFL.

#2 for a RB is no big deal. #2 for an Offensive Tackle is a big deal.

Warren Moon was #1
    Brett Favre is #4

Kickers down the right for any number under 5

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

That is what I'm saying. #2 for a RB is not normal. Obviously it is allowed if they let him wear it.

I don't know why you brought up Moon and Farve cause they are QBs.

The thing with the #2 is I think it will make McGahee more visible once he gets on the field. I mean how many non-Bills fans know Henry's number? My guess is not many because it is a normal RB number. But McGahee will be calling attention to himself by wearing the #2 as a RB. Similar to the way Keyshawn does by wearing #19 as a WR. Its not a big deal, but just something I found interesting.
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• HenryRules
        • Jul 2002

The fact Henry's # is a normal RB number doesn't have anything to do with it not being well known. The reason no few people know is because he's only had 1 star-quality season. If Henry keeps going the way he is, people will know his #.

Everyone knows Emmitt's 22 and Thurman's 34.

If McGahee seldom touches the field, no one will know his #, but if he becomes a star everyone will. The actual # will have very little impact.

Here's my comparison ... when watching tv, i (and I assume most people) don't notice when an OT lines up as a TE (unless you recognize the OT's body) even though the number is off.

Comment

• Pride
          • Jul 2002

I get what you were pointing at... I am sorry, I thought you were saying it wasnt "right" for McGahee to wear #2.

I get ya now.

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

You don't think than when your average football fan is watching a game and they see a #2 line up behind the QB their eye will be drawn to that?

If Henry wore a single diget number last year I think it would be a safe assumption that more people would know Henry's #.
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
              • Jul 2002

Will it be 2 or 02?
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Romes
                • Jul 2002

2 it seems
                RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
                  • Jul 2002

The jersey he held up had an 03 on it at the press conference. Had me guessing if it was his number.
                  Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Receivers can wear numbers 10-19 in the NFL standards. All the preseason guys wear those numbers.

Comment

• SACKMARINO
                      Ticket Scalper
                      • Jul 2002

#'s are set for postition

by league....

The NFL has a stict ruling on that....RB's cannont wear #2. It's all in the OFFICIAL NFL RULE BOOK. Even states that a retired number would have to be issued if it was last number available at that position. Also states that 2 players can have same number in pre-season.
                      Dave / SACKMARINO -

- "Fight on my men Sir Andrews said; A little I’m hurt but not yet slain; I'll just lye down and bleed awhile; and then I'll rise and fight again." NEVER SAY DIE BILLS!!!

Comment

• gunzlingr
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Travis Hunter
                        The jersey he held up had an 03 on it at the press conference. Had me guessing if it was his number.
                        All of the class of 2003 had 03 numbered jerseys. It is indicative of their draft year.

Didn't WR Michael Jackson from the Browns wear #1?
                        You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Pride
                          • Jul 2002

Really? Interesting.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

No, I don't think that the average NFL fan would notice a #2 lining up behind the QB. Maybe if they were at the game instead of watching it on tv, but if you're at the game, chances are you have a good idea what the player's numbers are if they play often. The average fan does not examine the numbers of every player on the field. They may notice if the announcer points it out, but I doubt they would.

When Dennis Rodman, whose number was well known because he was a celebrity, not vice versa, was in Chicago, he played a lot and I bet you few people that watch the NBA would have seen his number jump out because it was 91. I bet almost as many people know his #10 from Detroit as they do his #91 from the Bulls.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gunzlingr

All of the class of 2003 had 03 numbered jerseys. It is indicative of their draft year.

There's my answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X