What would you change with the Bills right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

What would you change with the Bills right now?

The Bills have problems RIGHT NOW. I think I am hitting the panic button a little, because they have looked horrible lately. You know how we all feel that in recent years, the Bills would get beat by playing "not to lose". Well, they got out to a "lead" on the season record, and have gone into a shell. Their offensive and defensive game plans have been bland, at best, in recent weeks. I would like to see some tinkering. I believe this season is turning South, and I really don't care if you bust out with the "The Bills are 5-3, the sky ain't falling", because they are 1-3 in the last quarter-season and winless in the division. They really are looking like the worst team in the AFC East.

A few ideas they could do RIGHT NOW....

Mario Haggan. Where is he? You remember that guy who never cracked the starting lineup, but provided depth, special teams, and was a better short yardage WLB then Ellison last year? Well, he is unemployed, and our backup LBs are even scrubbier. Haggan is 6'3 and 263lbs. Ellison, who is currently the SLB is 6', 229 lbs. Not that size is always key, but lets face it, Ellison doesn't do anything good, at least Haggan did solid against the run. Not to mention, our special teams seems to have lost something.

The FB experiment is not working. So, stop using one. Open it up more, and try to get another skill player on the field. Who is our most capable, versatile, non-starting skill player? Parrish would get votes, but I go with Jackson. He can line up next to Lynch. He can run, catch, pick up a block, or even freakin pass. Why are you wasting a spot on the field with a player who can't do any? Because he is bigger? Huh? They could fake to Lynch and pass to Jackson all day. Even throw in a half back pass.

Call a reverse please. Preferably to Parrish. Oh, and some screens. Basically the run ain't working, so get the RBs involved more in other ways. Some play action too. Something that will soften the opposing Ds up some. Basically use the short passes to the RBs as an extension of the running game. When you have them second guessing, then you can drive it home with Lynch.

Dang I was glad to see Fine do something. The TE position has been horrible. Horrible. Yeah, I thought it was worth saying twice. Before this week I thought the Bills should just put two tackles on the right. If they were going to get zero or negative production from the TE position, why do they field one? They should just put the next best blocker in there. Speaking of, how did the Broncos get Matt Murphy? Maybe even try Whittle in there when Butler comes back. But, as it is, I would just like to see more of Fine.

Scott over Simpson. I don't think either looked good this game, but Simpson looked really bad.

I think they should do due diligence and look at KGB.

I think they should zone blitz more. And, this one is out there, but if all else fails maybe even leave Denney in for Schobel when he returns, take Ellison off the field, and blitz Schobel (in at LB) from everywhere. Just tell Denney he has to do a better job at containing, otherwise he is just as bad a "play-maker" as Ellison.

We should run some more "man" type coverage. Our secondaries biggest problem is a lack of pass rush. Maybe just Blitz Scott more. I figure McGee should be full strength next week.

Basically, a couple roster and starter tweaks, but notable scheme changes. I'm not saying they should do all this at once. Thoughts on things they can do RIGHT NOW IN MID SEASON?
    Last edited by yordad; 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: What would you change with the Bills right now?

Something needs to be shifted around on the offensive line.

When you have a back with the size, strength, and talent of a Lynch getting 50 or 60 yards on a good day, there's a problem.

Heaviest, most expensive line in football, and they can't even run block?

That's sad.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Complete overhaul of the defense ideally. Go out and get an aggressive blitzing DC (like the one for NYG) and go out and get the personnel neccessary to work in that system. Big physical corners who can jam at the line, ball hawking safeties, blitzing LB's and pass rushing DE and DT. Id stay in a 4-3 alignment though.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

During the next off-season, Draft a big G, another C and a DE.
        Get a new Defensive Cooridator, eliminating the Tampa 2 scheme.

What we can do now is start pinching the D line & blitzing the OLB's. Let the DB's play man and quit worrying about the big play. The entire middle of the feild is not being covered and this D cannot get off the field.

On O, insert another patterm guy at WR in Steve Johnson, only bringing in Hardy for the fade on 3rd down or in the red zone. 3 step drops and getting rid of the ball. More swing/dump passes, since we cannot run the ball with his line. 4-5 yard swing passesd are better than no gain in the run.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
          During the next off-season, Draft a big G, another C and a DE.
          Get a new Defensive Cooridator, eliminating the Tampa 2 scheme.

What we can do now is start pinching the D line & blitzing the OLB's. Let the DB's play man and quit worrying about the big play. The entire middle of the feild is not being covered and this D cannot get off the field.

On O, insert another patterm guy at WR in Steve Johnson, only bringing in Hardy for the fade on 3rd down or in the red zone. 3 step drops and getting rid of the ball. More swing/dump passes, since we cannot run the ball with his line. 4-5 yard swing passesd are better than no gain in the run.
          You're going to get massacred playing that style of D without the right personell. We dont have good man coverage guys, asking them to man up would be dreadful.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
            You're going to get massacred playing that style of D without the right personell. We dont have good man coverage guys, asking them to man up would be dreadful.
            I think our CBs could do better in man then our front four can in getting pressure. I think our CBs biggest problem is the front four can't get pressure. Sort of like taking the lesser of two evils....
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
              I think our CBs could do better in man then our front four can in getting pressure. I think our CBs biggest problem is the front four can't get pressure. Sort of like taking the lesser of two evils....

You want to put McGee man up on players like Moss, Cotchery, Coles, Edwards, and Bowe? All guys who are bigger, stronger, faster and better than our CB and you want them to man up? Good luck with that, we need CB's like Antonio Croamartie or Nnamdi Asomugha to play that kind of system. Big physical CB's who can jam hard at the line and give the blitz time to get to the QB. Not small zone coverage CB's.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

RUN BLOCKING AND PRESSURE ON THE QB.

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  You want to put McGee man up on players like Moss, Cotchery, Coles, Edwards, and Bowe? All guys who are bigger, stronger, faster and better than our CB and you want them to man up? Good luck with that, we need CB's like Antonio Croamartie or Nnamdi Asomugha to play that kind of system. Big physical CB's who can jam hard at the line and give the blitz time to get to the QB. Not small zone coverage CB's.
                  Not the whole game. And, you can blitz LBs and still have help deep. Plus there are two safeties.

NTM, we don't play Moss every week.

Comment

• hydro
                    • Oct 2005

Scrap the O-Line blocking scheme. Zone blocking just isn't cutting it with these guys.
                    BERNIAC!

Comment

• Patti120
                      • Aug 2004

Oline should be the #1 priority! I don't know if that means new players or coaches or both but something has got to change. These guys have no attitude in the run game and it is inexcusable.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

The crazy thing is they are all huge. How do they get so blown off the ball?

I couldn't really tell too well from the stands but was Preston any better than Fowler?

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

The thing w o-line is I don't know how you can fix it mid season. Ideas?

Comment

• Dujek
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Jan 2008

A new defensive co-ordinator.

New blitz packages, new defensive ends and a complete overhaul of the offensive line.

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Dujek
                              A new defensive co-ordinator.

New blitz packages, new defensive ends and a complete overhaul of the offensive line.
                              How do you do this "now", in mid season?

Comment

Working...
                              X