PDA

View Full Version : What would you change with the Bills right now?

yordad
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM
The Bills have problems RIGHT NOW. I think I am hitting the panic button a little, because they have looked horrible lately. You know how we all feel that in recent years, the Bills would get beat by playing "not to lose". Well, they got out to a "lead" on the season record, and have gone into a shell. Their offensive and defensive game plans have been bland, at best, in recent weeks. I would like to see some tinkering. I believe this season is turning South, and I really don't care if you bust out with the "The Bills are 5-3, the sky ain't falling", because they are 1-3 in the last quarter-season and winless in the division. They really are looking like the worst team in the AFC East.

A few ideas they could do RIGHT NOW....

Mario Haggan. Where is he? You remember that guy who never cracked the starting lineup, but provided depth, special teams, and was a better short yardage WLB then Ellison last year? Well, he is unemployed, and our backup LBs are even scrubbier. Haggan is 6'3 and 263lbs. Ellison, who is currently the SLB is 6', 229 lbs. Not that size is always key, but lets face it, Ellison doesn't do anything good, at least Haggan did solid against the run. Not to mention, our special teams seems to have lost something.

The FB experiment is not working. So, stop using one. Open it up more, and try to get another skill player on the field. Who is our most capable, versatile, non-starting skill player? Parrish would get votes, but I go with Jackson. He can line up next to Lynch. He can run, catch, pick up a block, or even freakin pass. Why are you wasting a spot on the field with a player who can't do any? Because he is bigger? Huh? They could fake to Lynch and pass to Jackson all day. Even throw in a half back pass.

Call a reverse please. Preferably to Parrish. Oh, and some screens. Basically the run ain't working, so get the RBs involved more in other ways. Some play action too. Something that will soften the opposing Ds up some. Basically use the short passes to the RBs as an extension of the running game. When you have them second guessing, then you can drive it home with Lynch.

Dang I was glad to see Fine do something. The TE position has been horrible. Horrible. Yeah, I thought it was worth saying twice. Before this week I thought the Bills should just put two tackles on the right. If they were going to get zero or negative production from the TE position, why do they field one? They should just put the next best blocker in there. Speaking of, how did the Broncos get Matt Murphy? Maybe even try Whittle in there when Butler comes back. But, as it is, I would just like to see more of Fine.

Scott over Simpson. I don't think either looked good this game, but Simpson looked really bad.

I think they should do due diligence and look at KGB.

I think they should zone blitz more. And, this one is out there, but if all else fails maybe even leave Denney in for Schobel when he returns, take Ellison off the field, and blitz Schobel (in at LB) from everywhere. Just tell Denney he has to do a better job at containing, otherwise he is just as bad a "play-maker" as Ellison.

We should run some more "man" type coverage. Our secondaries biggest problem is a lack of pass rush. Maybe just Blitz Scott more. I figure McGee should be full strength next week.

Basically, a couple roster and starter tweaks, but notable scheme changes. I'm not saying they should do all this at once. Thoughts on things they can do RIGHT NOW IN MID SEASON?

Historian
11-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Something needs to be shifted around on the offensive line.

When you have a back with the size, strength, and talent of a Lynch getting 50 or 60 yards on a good day, there's a problem.

Heaviest, most expensive line in football, and they can't even run block?

That's sad.

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Complete overhaul of the defense ideally. Go out and get an aggressive blitzing DC (like the one for NYG) and go out and get the personnel neccessary to work in that system. Big physical corners who can jam at the line, ball hawking safeties, blitzing LB's and pass rushing DE and DT. Id stay in a 4-3 alignment though.

Night Train
11-03-2008, 06:38 AM
During the next off-season, Draft a big G, another C and a DE.
Get a new Defensive Cooridator, eliminating the Tampa 2 scheme.

What we can do now is start pinching the D line & blitzing the OLB's. Let the DB's play man and quit worrying about the big play. The entire middle of the feild is not being covered and this D cannot get off the field.

On O, insert another patterm guy at WR in Steve Johnson, only bringing in Hardy for the fade on 3rd down or in the red zone. 3 step drops and getting rid of the ball. More swing/dump passes, since we cannot run the ball with his line. 4-5 yard swing passesd are better than no gain in the run.

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
During the next off-season, Draft a big G, another C and a DE.
Get a new Defensive Cooridator, eliminating the Tampa 2 scheme.

What we can do now is start pinching the D line & blitzing the OLB's. Let the DB's play man and quit worrying about the big play. The entire middle of the feild is not being covered and this D cannot get off the field.

On O, insert another patterm guy at WR in Steve Johnson, only bringing in Hardy for the fade on 3rd down or in the red zone. 3 step drops and getting rid of the ball. More swing/dump passes, since we cannot run the ball with his line. 4-5 yard swing passesd are better than no gain in the run.
You're going to get massacred playing that style of D without the right personell. We dont have good man coverage guys, asking them to man up would be dreadful.

yordad
11-03-2008, 07:47 AM
You're going to get massacred playing that style of D without the right personell. We dont have good man coverage guys, asking them to man up would be dreadful.I think our CBs could do better in man then our front four can in getting pressure. I think our CBs biggest problem is the front four can't get pressure. Sort of like taking the lesser of two evils....

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
I think our CBs could do better in man then our front four can in getting pressure. I think our CBs biggest problem is the front four can't get pressure. Sort of like taking the lesser of two evils....

You want to put McGee man up on players like Moss, Cotchery, Coles, Edwards, and Bowe? All guys who are bigger, stronger, faster and better than our CB and you want them to man up? Good luck with that, we need CB's like Antonio Croamartie or Nnamdi Asomugha to play that kind of system. Big physical CB's who can jam hard at the line and give the blitz time to get to the QB. Not small zone coverage CB's.

THATHURMANATOR
11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
RUN BLOCKING AND PRESSURE ON THE QB.

yordad
11-03-2008, 07:53 AM
You want to put McGee man up on players like Moss, Cotchery, Coles, Edwards, and Bowe? All guys who are bigger, stronger, faster and better than our CB and you want them to man up? Good luck with that, we need CB's like Antonio Croamartie or Nnamdi Asomugha to play that kind of system. Big physical CB's who can jam hard at the line and give the blitz time to get to the QB. Not small zone coverage CB's.Not the whole game. And, you can blitz LBs and still have help deep. Plus there are two safeties.

NTM, we don't play Moss every week.

hydro
11-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Scrap the O-Line blocking scheme. Zone blocking just isn't cutting it with these guys.

Patti120
11-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Oline should be the #1 priority! I don't know if that means new players or coaches or both but something has got to change. These guys have no attitude in the run game and it is inexcusable.

THATHURMANATOR
11-03-2008, 07:59 AM
The crazy thing is they are all huge. How do they get so blown off the ball?

I couldn't really tell too well from the stands but was Preston any better than Fowler?

yordad
11-03-2008, 08:00 AM
The thing w o-line is I don't know how you can fix it mid season. Ideas?

Dujek
11-03-2008, 08:01 AM
A new defensive co-ordinator.

New blitz packages, new defensive ends and a complete overhaul of the offensive line.

yordad
11-03-2008, 08:32 AM
A new defensive co-ordinator.

New blitz packages, new defensive ends and a complete overhaul of the offensive line.How do you do this "now", in mid season?

yordad
11-03-2008, 08:33 AM

I couldn't really tell too well from the stands but was Preston any better than Fowler?No, but at least he played a better DT. I think Fowler would have been eaten.

Dujek
11-03-2008, 08:39 AM
How do you do this "now", in mid season?

Well you can't really change the DC and the changes of personnel would hardly yield players of the quality we need right now (with the possible exception of KGB), however adding a few new blitz packages to the defense should be fairly easy. It's not like the players don't know how to blitz, I mean they showed in week one that they were capable of blitzing and getting pressure on the QB, for some reason we've gone away from that, and we need to get back to keeping the opposition guessing and sending guys that they aren't expecting (like Youboty against the Jags). The three games that the Bills have lost they have got next to no pressure on the QB, despite the fact that they were playing against some of the least mobile QBs and most porous defensive lines in the league.

The biggest change that needs to happen is that Perry needs to grow a massive set of balls.

EDS
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
The two things that they can do at this point in the season given the personnel limitations are:

1. Corners to play closer to the LOS and bump the reciver within 5 yards of the line. Please.

2. Reimagine the blocking system. The o-line is huge. Man up and drive block. Forget the zone until you have some better technicians available. When Butler comes back I would put him at right tackle and move Walker inside to guard in the hopes of getting some push on the interior of the o-line. Someone also needs to light a fire under Peters and Dockery's buts. Those guys are "supposed" to be too talented and are too highly paid to such so bad.

EDS
11-03-2008, 08:45 AM

I couldn't really tell too well from the stands but was Preston any better than Fowler?

Jenkins swallowed Whittle in one bite on one play. It was ugly to watch.

THATHURMANATOR
11-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Whittle stinks. I am hoping Butler comes back strong after injury.

We need Schobel, Youboty, and Butler big time.

djjimkelly
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
i dont even want to start with what id change about the bills.

the whole entire coaching staff would be a start. then i would instill a 3-4 defense.

people can say we dont have the personal to run it so be it.

WE DONT HAVE the personal to run the cover 2 either so why not go with the better scheme

yordad
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Scrap the O-Line blocking scheme. Zone blocking just isn't cutting it with these guys.They do alot of non-zone blocking too. None of it works.

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Not the whole game. And, you can blitz LBs and still have help deep. Plus there are two safeties.
NTM, we don't play Moss every week.

1. No you can't blitz LB's and still have help deep unless you plan to let the backs and TE run patterns uncovered. The safeties then man up on them with no deep help.

2. No we dont but lets look at our remaining schedule for a moment;
NE-Moss
CLE-Edwards
KC-Bowe
SF-Nobody
MIA-Ginn
DEN-Marshall
NE-Moss

Im sorry but outside of SF there is not one WR Id trust McGee or Greer manned up on all game. They are not shut down man coverage corner plain and simple.

RedEyE
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
we have very speedy talent on defense. I'd like to see more of the 3-4 to slow down the overpusuing creating more LBs for better blitz packages and filling gaps.

Offense: The Bills have gotten away from the quick release and have been abondening the run waaaay to early.

raphael120
11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Whatever problems we have, they won't be changed in half a season if they haven't changed the past 3 years.

yordad
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
1. No you can't blitz LB's and still have help deep unless you plan to let the backs and TE run patterns uncovered. The safeties then man up on them with no deep help.

2. No we dont but lets look at our remaining schedule for a moment;
NE-Moss
CLE-Edwards
KC-Bowe
SF-Nobody
MIA-Ginn
DEN-Marshall
NE-Moss

Im sorry but outside of SF there is not one WR Id trust McGee or Greer manned up on all game. They are not shut down man coverage corner plain and simple.So, when the other team has 5 lineman, and one QB, and we are rushing an extra, making it 5. Then we are either leaving someone uncovered, or have no help deep? OK, I know this is over simplified, but with 2 WRs for them + 2 CBs for us, the a TE and a RB for them and 2 LBs for us (one blitzing), we would have two safeties to cover their 11th guy whether it be a second TE, a third WR or a second RB. One saftey to cover those guys, and one plays deep.

Draw a schematic, it might help. You seen what Ginn did against the current scheme. It can't get worst (put Greer on them).

PECKERWOOD
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Better interior OL, we need a center very badly, I'm hoping for Mack or Luigs in next years draft and hopefully somebody who can push Butler at the RG spot or even take the job from him. We need a more versatile DE who is a force to be reckoned with in the run game and can bring a decent pass rush as well. Wouldn't mind a Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman type of LB as well.

trapezeus
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
i'd emphasis discipline. The team looks sloppy with turnovers, missed blocking assignments, too many penalties. They were in these last two games. if they executed at a higher level without fumbles and INTs, and less penalties to stop the 2nd and 12 and 3rd and 7, we'd be winning these games.

justasportsfan
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Castrate our caohes and get then a new set of gonads. We're playing like scared little girls.

raphael120
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
i dont even want to start with what id change about the bills.

the whole entire coaching staff would be a start. then i would instill a 3-4 defense.

people can say we dont have the personal to run it so be it.

WE DONT HAVE the personal to run the cover 2 either so why not go with the better scheme

After 3 years we SHOULD have all the personnel we need to execute the coaches gameplan.

baalworship
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Make the Bills wear pink uniforms in practice until they get Marshawn over 100 yards rushing.

yordad
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Make the Bills wear pink uniforms in practice until they get Marshawn over 100 yards rushing.It is easy to get Lynch over 100..... in practice. ;)

EDS
11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Make the Bills wear pink uniforms in practice until they get Marshawn over 100 yards rushing.

His pink mouthpiece doesn't seem to be helping.

ServoBillieves
11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Get Butler back.
Get Youboty back.
Get Schobel back.

Stop ****ing around in the red zone and throw one up high to Hardy.
Stop the slant pass.
Let the secondary do their job deep.
Stop the slant pass.
Stop the screen.
And most of all.
Stop the slant pass.

Nighthawk
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think you guys really need me to say this again, but I'd fire Jauron...immediately and bring somebody in here who actually knows how to coach.

yordad
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't think you guys really need me to say this again, but I'd fire Jauron...immediately and bring somebody in here who actually knows how to coach.In your opinion, would bringing in someone new in mid season really be what the Bills need to make a run this year?

Nighthawk
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
In your opinion, would bringing in someone new in mid season really be what the Bills need to make a run this year?

No, I wouldn't do it in mid-season, but he would be packing his bag at the end of the year. The problem is, this coach never makes any changes and continues to do the same things over, and over and over and over. He is the definition of insanity.

But you're correct, I wouldn't dump him in the middle of the year.

thenry20
11-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Something needs to be shifted around on the offensive line.

When you have a back with the size, strength, and talent of a Lynch getting 50 or 60 yards on a good day, there's a problem.

Heaviest, most expensive line in football, and they can't even run block?

That's sad.

True.

Some of us were pointing this out in pre-season and were shouted down or laughed at. Hell, we were mocked even more when we were 4-0.

These same geniuses have since disappeared from these forums entirely it seems.

If you can't run the ball and don't have a stud D-line then you don't have a chance at the playoffs. Stats proves this to be true since the creation of the league.

Lexwhat
11-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Catrate our coahes and get then a new set of gonads. We're playing like scared little girls.

So you wanna cut off Perry's ovaries and Dick's balls ?

In that case: :bf1: :posrep:

justasportsfan
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
So you wanna cut off Perry's ovaries and Dick's balls ?

In that case: :bf1: :posrep:

The jills have more balls than this OL. If the OL plays like crap vs. the PAts , put the jills in.

feldspar
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Mario Haggan. Where is he? You remember that guy who never cracked the starting lineup, but provided depth, special teams, and was a better short yardage WLB then Ellison last year? Well, he is unemployed, and our backup LBs are even scrubbier. Haggan is 6'3 and 263lbs. Ellison, who is currently the SLB is 6', 229 lbs. Not that size is always key, but lets face it, Ellison doesn't do anything good, at least Haggan did solid against the run. Not to mention, our special teams seems to have lost something.

Mario Haggan is in trouble for violating the league's substance abuse policy. I know he is in trouble, and that's what I think he did. As soon as he lands on a team, he will have to serve a four game suspension.

We shouldn't have put Crowell on IR.

But don't worry. We have plenty of depth at linebacker. One of our backups is already starting and we have Corto, Costanzo, and Buggs. No need to worry.

The Jokeman
11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Another "go to" option in the passing game. That's why a guy like Tony Gonzalez was being called by some of us as a good fit as give us someone that open things in the middle and give someone Trent could feel comfortable checking off to but also be able to move the chains and possibly free up things at the line of scrimmage to allow Lynch to run more. While our defense needs improvement I think it's been pretty good for most of the season.

Tiburon1724
11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Let them leave town provided we're granted a replacement franchise ala Cleveland. It's our only hope. New owner, GM, coaching staff, etc etc etc

yordad
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Mario Haggan is in trouble for violating the league's substance abuse policy. I know he is in trouble, and that's what I think he did. As soon as he lands on a team, he will have to serve a four game suspension.

We shouldn't have put Crowell on IR.

But don't worry. We have plenty of depth at linebacker. One of our backups is already starting and we have Corto, Costanzo, and Buggs. No need to worry.Tell me that last part was sarcasm. Actually I was thinking he could start in place of Ellison. Haggan signed (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerNews?statsId=6564&fantasyNews=true) with Broncos today. I think you confussed him with Hargrove.

feldspar
11-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Tell me that last part was sarcasm. Actually I was thinking he could start in place of Ellison. Haggan signed (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerNews?statsId=6564&fantasyNews=true) with Broncos today. I think you confussed him with Hargrove.

...a bitter, biting sarcasm it was.

But I'm not mistaken about Haggan. He was definitely suspended by Roger Goodell for the first four games of the 2008 season. I'm 100% on that. Hargrove was suspended, too.

The question was whether or not Haggan was able to serve that suspension when he was not on a team.

yordad
11-05-2008, 11:40 AM
...a bitter, biting sarcasm it was.

But I'm not mistaken about Haggan. He was definitely suspended by Roger Goodell for the first four games of the 2008 season. I'm 100% on that. Hargrove was suspended, too.

The question was whether or not Haggan was able to serve that suspension when he was not on a team.I guess it is a moot point now, since he is with Denver, but I would like to see a link on that if possible. I really didn't hear anything on him being suspended.

feldspar
11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I guess it is a moot point now, since he is with Denver, but I would like to see a link on that if possible. I really didn't hear anything on him being suspended.

Here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a6918f&template=with-video&confirm=true

According to this report, all 11 of these player's suspensions would "start immediately." So I guess Haggan served out his suspension while not on a team.