PDA

View Full Version : I'd consider benching Peters for now..

patmoran2006
11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
1- I'm not stupid.. Jason Peters is still the best OL on this team.
2- Peters didn't play bad vs the Jets.
3- Overall through half the season, he's been no better or worse than anyone else on the OL.

So I say this knowing both of them ahead of time. Maybe with this OL it's a mental thing right now. I'd go back, at least for now, to trying Walker on the left side and Chambers on the right.

Maybe they need a mental spark. The line was adequate during the preseason and vs Seattle in Week one. Sometimes a change just ignites a team. Take hockey. Sometimes, for reasons not fully known, the team plays better around the backup goalie.

I look at Jason Peters this season and I see a Pro Bowl talent giving a training camp effort. I dont know if he's bitter about his contract (very likely) and its causing him to lose focus, but he's clearly not the guy he was last year.

Even though he's better than CHambers, maybe the rest of the OL will be FORCED to respond to a change. Because right now, they are an embarrasment to this organization as a whole.

8 games in, and the story remains the same. WE can't run the ball consistently to save our lives, and we make BIG mistakes in the passing game when TOO MUCH is put on the quarterback.

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 07:11 AM
1- I'm not stupid.. Jason Peters is still the best OL on this team.
2- Peters didn't play bad vs the Jets.
3- Overall through half the season, he's been no better or worse than anyone else on the OL.

So I say this knowing both of them ahead of time. Maybe with this OL it's a mental thing right now. I'd go back, at least for now, to trying Walker on the left side and Chambers on the right.

Maybe they need a mental spark. The line was adequate during the preseason and vs Seattle in Week one. Sometimes a change just ignites a team. Take hockey. Sometimes, for reasons not fully known, the team plays better around the backup goalie.

I look at Jason Peters this season and I see a Pro Bowl talent giving a training camp effort. I dont know if he's bitter about his contract (very likely) and its causing him to lose focus, but he's clearly not the guy he was last year.

Even though he's better than CHambers, maybe the rest of the OL will be FORCED to respond to a change. Because right now, they are an embarrasment to this organization as a whole.

8 games in, and the story remains the same. WE can't run the ball consistently to save our lives, and we make BIG mistakes in the passing game when TOO MUCH is put on the quarterback.

After reading that post I sincerely bed to differ with that point.

EDS
11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
The team needs a new o-line coach. McNally's replacement is not getting the job done.

Pinkerton Security
11-03-2008, 08:29 AM
how can you say jason peters is not better than Jason whittle. Did you happen to see Whittle flailing about wildly, trying to block Jenkins? I almost felt bad for him, he looked like an idiot who did not belong. Granted hes not supposed to be a starter, but for now, he is.

patmoran2006
11-03-2008, 08:47 AM
how can you say jason peters is not better than Jason whittle. Did you happen to see Whittle flailing about wildly, trying to block Jenkins? I almost felt bad for him, he looked like an idiot who did not belong. Granted hes not supposed to be a starter, but for now, he is.
Either of us are better than Jason Whittle. Jason Peters is the best linemen on this team (talent-wise). You’re not getting my point.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My point being is there isn’t any attitude on this line right now, and hasn’t been in a while. Maybe making a change and benching your “best” player for an OL that worked early on may get everyone else going. I used the hockey analogy, that sometimes when you bench your starting goalie for the backup the team rallies and plays better around him.<o:p></o:p>
We have to do something on this OL. Since this clearly isn’t working, and right now I think its as much mental as anything. Why not go back to the unit that started all of training camp, preseason and the first regular season game.<o:p></o:p>
Put is this way.. How much f’n worse can they be with Peters on the bench than they are now? It’s not like he’s not a big part of the problem on this line. Maybe he’ll get the message, and the rest of the OL will as well.<o:p></o:p>

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Either of us are better than Jason Whittle. Jason Peters is the best linemen on this team (talent-wise). You’re not getting my point.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
My point being is there isn’t any attitude on this line right now, and hasn’t been in a while. Maybe making a change and benching your “best” player for an OL that worked early on may get everyone else going. I used the hockey analogy, that sometimes when you bench your starting goalie for the backup the team rallies and plays better around him.<o:p></o:p>
We have to do something on this OL. Since this clearly isn’t working, and right now I think its as much mental as anything. Why not go back to the unit that started all of training camp, preseason and the first regular season game.<o:p></o:p>
Put is this way.. How much f’n worse can they be with Peters on the bench than they are now? It’s not like he’s not a big part of the problem on this line. Maybe he’ll get the message, and the rest of the OL will as well.<o:p></o:p>

I dont know how many more concussions would you like to see Trent take? Peters isnt the issue and benching him is a stupid idea because its just a benching for benching not only does it create issues in the locker room but what message does it send to potential FA's. You bench guys for poor play and Peters is far from our worst OL right now. Maybe some stadiums would send a better message. Or a back to camp two a day practice.