PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I'm wrong...

psubills62
11-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I didn't get to see the game. I've skimmed the play-by-play and the stats and come up with some observations/conclusions. I'm hoping that I can list my observations and conclusions and all you people who watched the game can tell me if I'm right or wrong, and feel free to add comments to each of these.

I just want to get some insight into the game, and I'd rather not have to read every doom-and-gloom thread to get it.

1. Five sacks given up. Conclusion: Either the O-line did a very bad job protecting Edwards, or Edwards held onto the ball too long and didn't move well in the pocket.
2. 30 yards rushing on 17 attempts. Conclusion: After showing promise in the last two games, the run game was absolutely dreadful. Was it the O-line's fault?
3. 3 turnovers, resulting in 10 points. Conclusion: They need to be more disciplined and Edwards needs to make better passes. Kudos to the defense for holding the Jets to a FG after the fumble on our 6-yard line.
4. There were 4 trips inside the NYJ 40-yard-line that resulted in a total of 0 points, and 7 for the other team. Conclusion: It looks like the Bills moved the ball quite well, even without a running game. It was just penalties, sacks, miscues in general really killed the drives in opponents' territory.
5. One catch between Steve Johnson and James Hardy. Conclusion: Either a) the rookies didn't see the field much, b) the rookies didn't get open, or c) Edwards didn't really look their way.
6. Seven kickoff returns for 179 yards total. Conclusion: I don't like seeing that many kickoff returns, but it looked like McKelvin did a better job this time.
7. Third-down efficiency: 8/13 for 61%. Conclusion: Like I said before, it looks like our team did quite well moving the ball, it's just turnovers, miscues, etc. that killed them, especially in enemy territory. Also, a lot of people seem to be blaming the coaches. From skimming the plays, it looks as though the playcalling wasn't that bad, it was mistakes in execution that killed them. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
8. Derek Fine had 4 catches for 43 yards and a TD. Conclusion: While Royal also had a big game, it's very obvious that we can't depend on him to do it consistently. It appears as though Fine might be the guy to take over for Royal after this year. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke. I'm impressed, considering it was his first real game where he saw a good amount of time on offense (I think...).

If you guys could correct me or confirm these conclusions/observations, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you can, I'd really just like to talk straight football without all the blaming people for who lost the game, etc. I'm depressed enough as it is.

patmoran2006
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
1. Five sacks given up. Conclusion: Either the O-line did a very bad job protecting Edwards, or Edwards held onto the ball too long and didn't move well in the pocket.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Combination of both. Edwards held the ball too many times, very Losman-like.. However, for the second straight week they dropped back 7-8 guys into coverage and our OL still let the pocket collapse. Teams are generating heat without blitzing. But again, Edwards also at times did a poor job in not throwing the ball away when nothing was there. Perhaps, because of a lack of a running game, he was trying to force too many big plays.<o:p></o:p>

2. 30 yards rushing on 17 attempts. Conclusion: After showing promise in the last two games, the run game was absolutely dreadful. Was it the O-line's fault?<o:p></o:p>
Absolutely.. I can’t remember a large hole being open ONCE during the whole game. The unit was awful. Whittle was a joke. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> had his worst game.. Dockery and Peters were mediocre as they’ve been all year. <st1:place w:st="on">Preston</st1:place> is a stop-gap center at best. He’s better than Fowler but still not a starting quality center.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

3. 3 turnovers, resulting in 10 points. Conclusion: They need to be more disciplined and Edwards needs to make better passes. Kudos to the defense for holding the Jets to a FG after the fumble on our 6-yard line.<o:p></o:p>
One INT by Edwards was entirely on him. The Pick-6 was a HORRIBLE decision on third and long. Take the points. He forced a pass to Parrish that was easily picked and even if he didn’t “slip” it was still getting picked. The INT at the end of the game was a desperation play to the end zone, so you cant put much stock into that (plus, Hardy could’ve done a better job of knocking it down). The fumble on the sack was 100% on Corey McIntyre. What a bum he’s turned out to be. We should’ve never cut Barnes.<o:p></o:p>

4. There were 4 trips inside the NYJ 40-yard-line that resulted in a total of 0 points, and 7 for the other team. Conclusion: It looks like the Bills moved the ball quite well, even without a running game. It was just penalties, sacks, miscues in general really killed the drives in opponents' territory.<o:p></o:p>
It’s why they’ve dropped two straight. They’re not opportunistic like they were early in the season. Having NO running game puts an awful lot on Edwards to make every play, and maybe that’s too much to ask for him at this stage of his career. Bottom line: Edwards deserves a lot of blame for a few terrible decisions (he also was off on a lot of throws). But you HAVE to be able to pick up a freegin yard when you need it, especially at home. Brutal how bad the OL is at run blocking.<o:p></o:p>

5. One catch between Steve Johnson and James Hardy. Conclusion: Either a) the rookies didn't see the field much, b) the rookies didn't get open, or c) Edwards didn't really look their way.<o:p></o:p>
Johnson barely played. Hardy is so far away from looking comfortable in the NFL it’s not even funny. People will tell me to ‘relax”, but I’m really worried about him.. <o:p></o:p>

6. Seven kickoff returns for 179 yards total. Conclusion: I don't like seeing that many kickoff returns, but it looked like McKelvin did a better job this time.<o:p></o:p>
He had one great return (the first one) and not much after that. Our special teams as a whole has regressed terribly in every way this season (overall). ST used to be a huge advantage for us. It isn’t anymore. Moorman had a nice run a fake punt that got nullified by penalty. He promptly shanked the punt right after. That’s been our ST most this year.<o:p></o:p>

7. Third-down efficiency: 8/13 for 61%. Conclusion: Like I said before, it looks like our team did quite well moving the ball, it's just turnovers, miscues, etc. that killed them, especially in enemy territory. Also, a lot of people seem to be blaming the coaches. From skimming the plays, it looks as though the playcalling wasn't that bad, it was mistakes in execution that killed them. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.<o:p></o:p>
They’re not finishing drives, and the turnovers are killer.. What is that, 7 turnovers in 2 games now? We’re not good enough to overcome that. <o:p></o:p>

8. Derek Fine had 4 catches for 43 yards and a TD. Conclusion: While Royal also had a big game, it's very obvious that we can't depend on him to do it consistently. It appears as though Fine might be the guy to take over for Royal after this year. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke. I'm impressed, considering it was his first real game where he saw a good amount of time on offense (I think...).<o:p></o:p>
This may have been the biggest “bright” spot Sunday. Fine looked like he belonged, and not just on the wide open TD play.

If you guys could correct me or confirm these conclusions/observations, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you can, I'd really just like to talk straight football without all the blaming people for who lost the game, etc. I'm depressed enough as it is.<o:p></o:p>
<!-- / message -->

Discotrish
11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Too many momentum changers went their way, which is difficult to pick up just from the stats. Failure to come away with points inside the Red Zone being a major one, but there were many more. And it wasn't just bad luck, we were personally responsible for most.

Patti

psubills62
11-03-2008, 11:00 AM
1. Five sacks given up. Conclusion: Either the O-line did a very bad job protecting Edwards, or Edwards held onto the ball too long and didn't move well in the pocket.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Combination of both. Edwards held the ball too many times, very Losman-like.. However, for the second straight week they dropped back 7-8 guys into coverage and our OL still let the pocket collapse. Teams are generating heat without blitzing. But again, Edwards also at times did a poor job in not throwing the ball away when nothing was there. Perhaps, because of a lack of a running game, he was trying to force too many big plays.<o:p></o:p>

2. 30 yards rushing on 17 attempts. Conclusion: After showing promise in the last two games, the run game was absolutely dreadful. Was it the O-line's fault?<o:p></o:p>
Absolutely.. I can’t remember a large hole being open ONCE during the whole game. The unit was awful. Whittle was a joke. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> had his worst game.. Dockery and Peters were mediocre as they’ve been all year. <st1:place w:st="on">Preston</st1:place> is a stop-gap center at best. He’s better than Fowler but still not a starting quality center.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

3. 3 turnovers, resulting in 10 points. Conclusion: They need to be more disciplined and Edwards needs to make better passes. Kudos to the defense for holding the Jets to a FG after the fumble on our 6-yard line.<o:p></o:p>
One INT by Edwards was entirely on him. The Pick-6 was a HORRIBLE decision on third and long. Take the points. He forced a pass to Parrish that was easily picked and even if he didn’t “slip” it was still getting picked. The INT at the end of the game was a desperation play to the end zone, so you cant put much stock into that (plus, Hardy could’ve done a better job of knocking it down). The fumble on the sack was 100% on Corey McIntyre. What a bum he’s turned out to be. We should’ve never cut Barnes.<o:p></o:p>

4. There were 4 trips inside the NYJ 40-yard-line that resulted in a total of 0 points, and 7 for the other team. Conclusion: It looks like the Bills moved the ball quite well, even without a running game. It was just penalties, sacks, miscues in general really killed the drives in opponents' territory.<o:p></o:p>
It’s why they’ve dropped two straight. They’re not opportunistic like they were early in the season. Having NO running game puts an awful lot on Edwards to make every play, and maybe that’s too much to ask for him at this stage of his career. Bottom line: Edwards deserves a lot of blame for a few terrible decisions (he also was off on a lot of throws). But you HAVE to be able to pick up a freegin yard when you need it, especially at home. Brutal how bad the OL is at run blocking.<o:p></o:p>

5. One catch between Steve Johnson and James Hardy. Conclusion: Either a) the rookies didn't see the field much, b) the rookies didn't get open, or c) Edwards didn't really look their way.<o:p></o:p>
Johnson barely played. Hardy is so far away from looking comfortable in the NFL it’s not even funny. People will tell me to ‘relax”, but I’m really worried about him.. <o:p></o:p>

6. Seven kickoff returns for 179 yards total. Conclusion: I don't like seeing that many kickoff returns, but it looked like McKelvin did a better job this time.<o:p></o:p>
He had one great return (the first one) and not much after that. Our special teams as a whole has regressed terribly in every way this season (overall). ST used to be a huge advantage for us. It isn’t anymore. Moorman had a nice run a fake punt that got nullified by penalty. He promptly shanked the punt right after. That’s been our ST most this year.<o:p></o:p>

7. Third-down efficiency: 8/13 for 61%. Conclusion: Like I said before, it looks like our team did quite well moving the ball, it's just turnovers, miscues, etc. that killed them, especially in enemy territory. Also, a lot of people seem to be blaming the coaches. From skimming the plays, it looks as though the playcalling wasn't that bad, it was mistakes in execution that killed them. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.<o:p></o:p>
They’re not finishing drives, and the turnovers are killer.. What is that, 7 turnovers in 2 games now? We’re not good enough to overcome that. <o:p></o:p>

8. Derek Fine had 4 catches for 43 yards and a TD. Conclusion: While Royal also had a big game, it's very obvious that we can't depend on him to do it consistently. It appears as though Fine might be the guy to take over for Royal after this year. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke. I'm impressed, considering it was his first real game where he saw a good amount of time on offense (I think...).<o:p></o:p>
This may have been the biggest “bright” spot Sunday. Fine looked like he belonged, and not just on the wide open TD play.

If you guys could correct me or confirm these conclusions/observations, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you can, I'd really just like to talk straight football without all the blaming people for who lost the game, etc. I'm depressed enough as it is.<o:p></o:p>
<!-- / message -->

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. It's very frustrating knowing this team isn't playing up to the level that it could or should play at. I don't know if it's the injuries, the fact that we're playing better teams, etc., but they need to start fixing their problems fast. It seems as though we do well for the most part, but just have too many costly mistakes. It was surprising to me to find out how bad our run game did, and it seemed we moved the ball pretty well considering.

Oh well. I'm glad that the Pats haven't been able to generate much of a pass rush this year, because that really seems to be killing us.