PDA

View Full Version : The New England Game

mchurchfie
11-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not jumping off the bandwagon at all, I'm just being realistic here. I don't think we have a very good chance against The Patsies at all. I watched them last night and they don't look too bad. Their backup QB is playing a lot better now. The bottomline is that their coaching staff is superior to ours and they will probably school Jauron's crew. The sad thing about it is that you could probably give Bellichick our roster and he would probably come up with a way to win with them too.

justasportsfan
11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Doesn't matter if they had Rob Johnson at qb, their coaches will find a way to make him serviceable.

raphael120
11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
We have a pathetic coaching staff. No fire, no guts. We might have heart, but it takes a hell of a lot more than that in this day and age in the NFL.

Pinkerton Security
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Doesn't matter if they had Rob Johnson at qb, their coaches will find a way to make him serviceable.

their "genius" of a coach horribly mishandled the Patsies clock. If he hadnt wasted a couple of their timeouts, the Pats might not have had to go for it on 4th and 14, could have trusted their D to get them the ball back, and ultimately would have had a better chance of winning. Belichick might have lost the game for them.

justasportsfan
11-03-2008, 10:54 AM
their "genius" of a coach horribly mishandled the Patsies clock. If he hadnt wasted a couple of their timeouts, the Pats might not have had to go for it on 4th and 14, could have trusted their D to get them the ball back, and ultimately would have had a better chance of winning. Belichick might have lost the game for them.

I didn't say BB is perfect. THey have a Qb who's last start prior to this season was back in high school. We have a qb who's supposedly very smart ,etc,et,ce,tc and we have Lynch who's better than anything they have right now and yet their O is better than ours.

psubills62
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I didn't say BB is perfect. THey have a Qb who's last start prior to this season was back in high school. We have a qb who's supposedly very smart ,etc,et,ce,tc and we have Lynch who's better than anything they have right now and yet their O is better than ours.

Really? They're outgaining us by 2 yards per game, and we have the edge in points per game (scoring 1.8 points more per game than they are).

As far as the Pats game is concerned, I'm very wary. However, we do have reason to be optimistic. Most of the mistakes seem to be coming when Edwards is pressured, and the run game either isn't being used (coming from behind late), or is not working.

The Patriots have only 14 sacks on the year (we have 13, Dolphins have 18, Jets have 29). That means they're getting about as little pressure as we are. Plus, their run D (allowing 105 ypg) is worse than both the Jets (allowing 76 ypg) and the Dolphins (allowing 89.6 ypg). Their highly touted D-line is not playing nearly as well as people would think. If there's a game for our offense to get back into a rhythm and still give us hope in the division, this is it. They need to go on the road and dominate, otherwise we are in big, big trouble.

Historian
11-03-2008, 11:09 AM
My suggestion would be to forfeit the New England game...take a second BYE week, and regroup.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I think we will play them tough and be in it at the end. I hope we come out on top.

Philagape
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Cassel's just the kind of QB who can pick us apart like Pennington and Warner did. The Bills need to throw the house at him, because he can't elude like Brady can and the front four isn't enough.

And unless Trent gets rid of the ball faster, I don't trust his line to protect him against anyone.

So drastic game-plan changes are needed on both sides, because the Bills won't win the battles in the trenches.

mchurchfie
11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Cassel's just the kind of QB who can pick us apart like Pennington and Warner did. The Bills need to throw the house at him, because he can't elude like Brady can and the front four isn't enough.

We only have a pup tent to work with.

So drastic game-plan changes are needed on both sides
:rofl:

The King
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I am going to be at this game...

Dr. Lecter
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Sorry.

DraftBoy
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Good luck to you.

mchurchfie
11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Can you play DE?

TacklingDummy
11-03-2008, 11:36 AM
their "genius" of a coach horribly mishandled the Patsies clock. If he hadnt wasted a couple of their timeouts, the Pats might not have had to go for it on 4th and 14,

If that one player didn't take the personal foul penalty they would have never have been in 4th and whatever. If Gaffney catches the ball the outcome might have been different also.

psubills62
11-03-2008, 11:39 AM
If that one player didn't take the personal foul penalty they would have never have been in 4th and whatever. If Gaffney catches the ball the outcome might have been different also.

I'm sure there's a lot of ifs on Indianapolis's side too.

baalworship
11-03-2008, 02:28 PM
This game looks like a loss.

Bills on the road, division opponent. We are playing with no confidence and swagger and we are returning to the place where we normally lose by 2-3TD's.

Throw in the fact that New England's favorite plays happen to be the type of plays that Perry Fewell gets rocked by: short passes, screens, mis-direction, etc and it becomes harder to see how this could end well.

The only factor working in our favor is that the NFL is such an average league that next week might be our week...Every week underdogs tend to play better than expectations and next week we are a huge underdog and will be written off by everyone before the game starts.

OpIv37
11-03-2008, 02:33 PM

He's not perfect. No one is. But look at his overall record. He was dominant with Tom Brady- a sixth round draft pick who didn't even start in college. And now he's still winning with a QB who hasn't played since HS.

Over the last few years, how many times has a Pats starter been lost to injury with little or no effect on the team? There's no way one team has that much talent or depth.

Overall, BB is one of the smartest football coaches ever. He's a complete piece of **** as a human being, but he's one hell of a coach. And he'll likely stick it to Jauron this Sunday just like he has in their previous 4 meetings.

justasportsfan
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Overall, BB is one of the smartest football coaches ever. He's a complete piece of **** as a human being, but he's one hell of a coach. And he'll likely stick it to Jauron this Sunday just like he has in their previous 4 meetings.
OUch, the truth hurts. :ill:

If we can't beat the pats with Cassel , we'll never beat the pats when Dick faces BB even if we had a probowl line-up.

mybills
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Bills win this one.

Dr. Lecter
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Bills win this one.

Based on what?

OpIv37
11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Based on what?

her hatred of the Pats and nothing more.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 03:19 PM
to say the Bills aren't capable of playing well is a stretch guys. I think they have proven they are they just haven't done it the last couple weeks when it was very important. They are going to have something to prove this week that's for sure.

OpIv37
11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
to say the Bills aren't capable of playing well is a stretch guys. I think they have proven they are they just haven't done it the last couple weeks when it was very important. They are going to have something to prove this week that's for sure.

when did they play well? Against Seattle and San Diego at home, one quarter against Oakland, one half against St. Louis. Arguably against Jacksonville. That's it. We looked like **** for most of the Oakland game, at least half of the St Louis game and throughout all 3 losses.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 03:27 PM
when did they play well? Against Seattle and San Diego at home, one quarter against Oakland, one half against St. Louis. Arguably against Jacksonville. That's it. We looked like **** for most of the Oakland game, at least half of the St Louis game and throughout all 3 losses.

you said it yourself...they have played well. They haven't put together a complete game. They stunk up the joint in a couple. They are young and some players short of being a great team. They can play well. They can finally put together a complete game. They can come out on top in NE.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
it always amazes me how Buffalo sports fans are amazingly ecstatic and optomistic after a win and amazingly harsh after a loss. The real team is in between there...

madness
11-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Based on what?

I don't feel we can win based on recent performance but to put it quite simply... based on that anything can happen in the NFL. This season alone is more then enough proof of that.

I'd be quite surprised if we knock off NE but I wouldn't be dumbfounded. Records, stats or any other variables you'd like to throw in have been disproven on Sunday's all around the league this year.

Man, I love football.

Dr. Lecter
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
it always amazes me how Buffalo sports fans are amazingly ecstatic and optomistic after a win and amazingly harsh after a loss. The real team is in between there...

It was more than one loss that has me pessimistic.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I wish I had seen the second half last weekend because something came up and I missed it...it was easy to bow out though because I thought we were going to blow it. That's what we did though based on what I saw in the first half. We beat ourselves. Beating yourself is something that can be controlled.

OpIv37
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I wish I had seen the second half last weekend because something came up and I missed it...it was easy to bow out though because I thought we were going to blow it. That's what we did though based on what I saw in the first half. We beat ourselves. Beating yourself is something that can be controlled.

We got dominated on the OL all game long. That wasn't beating ourselves, we got beat, period. That's what scares me the most. Until this team proves it can run the ball, there's no reason to believe they can win.

psubills62
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't feel we can win based on recent performance but to put it quite simply... based on that anything can happen in the NFL. This season alone is more then enough proof of that.

I'd be quite surprised if we knock off NE but I wouldn't be dumbfounded. Records, stats or any other variables you'd like to throw in have been disproven on Sunday's all around the league this year.

Man, I love football.

Bingo. How many Bengals fans thought their team could beat the Jaguars? Probably zero if they are anything like Buffalo fans.

Fact is, weak schedule or not, this team is 5-3, as are two other teams in the AFC East. It's not like the other teams have necessarily faced better schedules.

The thing is, if our team can just eliminate turnovers, they have a very good shot at winning. Take away the turnovers from the last two games, and I'd bet we'd be 2-0 or at the least 1-1. It's not like our team is getting 100 yards of offense and giving up 600 yards of offense to the other team. We're pretty freaking even except for turnovers.

And like I said - it helps that we're playing the Pats because they've struggled mightily to get pressure on the QB and they've got a worse run D than ours. At least we knew going into the Jets game that they had a very good run D, got a lot of sacks during the season, etc. And that trend continued. I'm not sure why everyone was surprised.

OpIv37
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Bingo. How many Bengals fans thought their team could beat the Jaguars? Probably zero if they are anything like Buffalo fans.

Fact is, weak schedule or not, this team is 5-3, as are two other teams in the AFC East. It's not like the other teams have necessarily faced better schedules.

The thing is, if our team can just eliminate turnovers, they have a very good shot at winning. Take away the turnovers from the last two games, and I'd bet we'd be 2-0 or at the least 1-1. It's not like our team is getting 100 yards of offense and giving up 600 yards of offense to the other team. We're pretty freaking even except for turnovers.

And like I said - it helps that we're playing the Pats because they've struggled mightily to get pressure on the QB and they've got a worse run D than ours. At least we knew going into the Jets game that they had a very good run D, got a lot of sacks during the season, etc. And that trend continued. I'm not sure why everyone was surprised.

Each of those other 2 teams in the AFCE at 5-3 have a division win. We don't.
Each of those other 2 teams got at least one win in the last two weeks. We didn't.

We're pretty friggin even? 17 rushing attempts for 30 yards is even in your eyes? Forget about the Pats' run D. What about our run O?

The Bills kept another trend alive this week: an inability to take advantage of an opponent's weakness. 1 INT, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 sacks against a team prone to all 3. So, don't get all excited about the Pats' run D until the Bills actually PROVE they can take advantage of an opponent's weakness.

Dantheman1280
11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I think that the pats have better coaching and more talent. I have a gut feeling we pull this one out. We have our backs against the wall. These men have to have some pride. They have been whipped the last two weeks. Either we will roll over or come out swinging. The pats are still not half of what they were last year. If the Bills come out and play like we know they can, we have a chance.

mchurchfie
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Based on what?
Her "Boy" is playing.

mchurchfie
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
It was more than one loss that has me pessimistic.
And how they lost them.:ill:

psubills62
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Each of those other 2 teams in the AFCE at 5-3 have a division win. We don't.
Each of those other 2 teams got at least one win in the last two weeks. We didn't.

We're pretty friggin even? 17 rushing attempts for 30 yards is even in your eyes? Forget about the Pats' run D. What about our run O?

The Bills kept another trend alive this week: an inability to take advantage of an opponent's weakness. 1 INT, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 sacks against a team prone to all 3. So, don't get all excited about the Pats' run D until the Bills actually PROVE they can take advantage of an opponent's weakness.

If we win in New England (I know, you don't give us a chance, but whether you like it or not, it is possible), then at the very least we'll be second in the division with a one-game lead over two of the teams. Every one of the AFC East teams has one divisional loss - at least one or two teams will have another by the end of the season.

Our run offense has been pretty good outside of that one game. The Jets have a MUCH better run defense than the Patriots. So does Miami, and we rushed for over 100 yards against the Dolphins when we were IN Miami. And yes, we were about even. Look at total yardage, not just one aspect of the offense: Jets gained a total of 297 yards, Bills gained 292. Bills TOP: 30:04, Jets TOP: 29:56. That looks dang even to me.

How ironic. You're complaining about trends, but whining about rushing for 30 yards? Do you really think the Bills will only rush for 30 yards per game from here on out? They've run for over 100 yards for the majority of their games this season.

It's true, the Bills haven't taken advantage of an opponents' weakness. So it's pretty impressive to me that they've been able to get 5 wins without taking advantage of any weaknesses. That's not the sign of a weak team.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 10:20 PM
We got dominated on the OL all game long. That wasn't beating ourselves, we got beat, period. That's what scares me the most. Until this team proves it can run the ball, there's no reason to believe they can win.

it really is a rare week when any team demonstrates mastery of every area of the game. Our running game needs help for sure but we suffer more from penalties, turnovers and false executions than anything else. Those are the things that throw a wrench into the works and keeps things from getting going. Those things we cannot overcome as they waste plays, field position and possessions. I believe we are definately on the right track but have yet to gain consistency that will come with playing together and believing in this system. We also need a few more players and TE to become a top 5 NFL QB.

billogic99
11-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I was hoping the Pats would have won against the Colts, I know most here don't want to hear that, but this means the Pats are coming off a loss too, it will be that much harder to win that game.

LtFinFan66
11-04-2008, 01:21 AM
He's not perfect. No one is. But look at his overall record. He was dominant with Tom Brady- a sixth round draft pick who didn't even start in college. And now he's still winning with a QB who hasn't played since HS.

Over the last few years, how many times has a Pats starter been lost to injury with little or no effect on the team? There's no way one team has that much talent or depth.

Overall, BB is one of the smartest football coaches ever. He's a complete piece of **** as a human being, but he's one hell of a coach. And he'll likely stick it to Jauron this Sunday just like he has in their previous 4 meetings.Brady started 2 years at Michigan

mybills
11-04-2008, 06:04 AM

Man, I love football.
Thank You! :bf1:

mybills
11-04-2008, 06:08 AM
her hatred of the Pats and nothing more.
If you stop sucking on their sack long enough to even watch them play, you'll see what I see. Forget stats. Watch them.

mybills
11-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Her "Boy" is playing.
I can see McGee and Trent having a great game against them. Hell, I can even see Lynch breaking 100 yds. finally.

btw, 4 teams were 5-3 last year and got to the play offs..you guys act like the Bills are finished already. For shame! :cynic:

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2008, 07:23 AM
If you stop sucking on their sack long enough to even watch them play, you'll see what I see. Forget stats. Watch them.

Have you watched the Bills 3 of the last 4 weeks?

mybills
11-04-2008, 07:29 AM
yes. what about it? They don't play like that every time.

mybills
11-04-2008, 07:33 AM
NE has not looked impressive at all. People are still stuck on what they used to be because they have a lot of the same players.

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Neither do the Pats.

Not to mention the Bills will be without Schobel, Whitner and Reed.

mybills
11-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, if it makes you happy to count the Bills out of this game, go for it.

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't count them out.

But the likelihood is a Bills loss.

justasportsfan
11-04-2008, 09:19 AM

2 division losses. I am still optimistic we can make playoffs but I won't ignore the concerns.

feldspar
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
If the Bills lose this game, making the playoffs becomes pretty unlikely. That would make us 1-4 over the past 5 games and 0-3 in the division. We will have lost to every team in the division on consectutive weeks. That's not something a playoff team does. On top of that, the Dolphins and the Jets are playing the Seahawks and the Rams. If they win those games, and they should, and the Bills lose to the Patriots, we will be in last place in the division and be losing any possible tiebreaker. We will have a record of 5-4...we were 5-4 last year at the same point.

If we lose to the Patriots, I'm going to start to actually expect NOT to make the playoffs. This game is a must win. Yeah, our schedule is pretty favorable, but the same is true for the other teams in our division. We simply cannot afford to be 0-3 in the division.