• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The OL and DL: poor management at it's finest

Since Marv took over, these are the moves that he and/or the current regime made on the OL:

Drafted: Aaron Merz (cut), Brad Butler, Demetrious Bell
    Signed: Derrick Dockery, Jason Whittle, Langston Walker, Melvin Fowler, Tutan Reyes (cut)
    Re-signed: Jason Peters

And the DL:
    Drafted: Kyle Williams, John McCargo, Chris Ellis
    Signed: Larry Tripplett (cut), Anthony Hargrove (suspended), Spencer Johnson, Copeland Bryan
    Re-signed: Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Tim Anderson (tendered then cut mid-season)
    Obtained via Trade: Darwin Walker (never played a down for the Bills), Marcus Stroud

Tom Donahoe lost largely because he ignored the lines early in the draft and tried to fill them with 3rd rate FA's. Certainly, Marv and the current FO have put more effort into the lines than Donahoe ever did, but their efforts have been largely unsuccessful.

The run-blocking by the OL has been absolutely pathetic, and the DL gets no pass rush and is mediocre at best against the run. The only thing that makes it worse is that the current FO (unlike Donahoe) actually TRIED to do something with the lines, yet completely failed. The amount of FO effort and the amount of money tied up in the trenches on both sides of the ball is absolutely ridiculous.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: The OL and DL: poor management at it's finest

I don't think it's the talent. It's the coaches.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

I will say this, the interior of our line is a joke. Yesterday the Jets managed to take down Trent while rushing 3. Duke did a great job in turning his back to block air, while Whittle got blown by.

Comment

• billsburgh
        • Jul 2003

With Dockery, wasnt one of his main strengths when he was with Washington and made him such a coveted free agent was his run blocking ability? I find it hard to believe that he's totally forgotten how to run block. That leads me to believe that it's the blocking schemes being used and the coaches not using these players to the best of their abilities.

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

It could be the playcalling also...like...getting stuffed 10 times running to the left of the line.

How bout we get creative with running the ball? If you can't run THROUGH the line, run AROUND it. Pitch the ball out. Remember those big gains Lynch usually gets when Trent pitches the ball and he runs along the sidelines? I saw NONE of that. And where are the screens to Parrish?? We have one of the fastest guys on the field who is lethal in space and we're doing jack squat.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
            • Sep 2002

I think Opie's on the right track. The Bills have done an abominable job of drafting linemen. One need only to look at the Giants to see what I mean.

Comment

• hydro
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by billsburgh
              With Dockery, wasnt one of his main strengths when he was with Washington and made him such a coveted free agent was his run blocking ability? I find it hard to believe that he's totally forgotten how to run block. That leads me to believe that it's the blocking schemes being used and the coaches not using these players to the best of their abilities.
              I totally agree.
              BERNIAC!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by billsburgh
                From what we've seen in Buffalo, his biggest strength seems to be that he played next to Chris Samuels

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• billsburgh
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  From what we've seen in Buffalo, his biggest strength seems to be that he played next to Chris Samuels
                  Maybe, but up until this season, Jason Peters was considered by many the best young LT in the league. So, in theory, the left side of the line should be destroying people.

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    Plus, it doesn't seem like Washington is missing him.

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Attention all Buffalo Bills coaches. If you're name starts with a "K", please exit the building immediately!

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by madness
                        Attention all Buffalo Bills coaches. If you're name starts with a "K", please exit the building immediately!
                        More like if your title starts with "Coach", get the **** outta here.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          I don't think it's the talent. It's the coaches.
                          It gets to a point when you have to start asking how many players can we possibly bring in here and yet they still suck? The one constant has been coaching and bad coaching at that.

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by raphael120
                            More like if your title starts with "Coach", get the **** outta here.
                            Maybe you like rebuilding and setting the franchise back another 5 years but I don't.

Our woes boil down to horrendous play of both lines. Our O-Line can't protect Trent from a 3-4 man pass rush and can't run block worth a lick.

Our D-line can't generate a pass rush consistantly and gets fooled by every counter and misdirection play thrown at them.

Any team would have to play mistake-free football to overcome limitations like that just to be "in" the game.

Everybody knows the saying by now but I'll repeat it just in case people are still too busy following their knee-jerk reactions by blaming our OC, DC, HC and QB.

"Football games are won and lost in the trenches."

Yes, it's just that simple.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Our OL looked GREAT besides Fowler and Whittle, that is the problem summed up in one sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X