PDA

View Full Version : One more win...

psubills62
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I know, no one really gives us a chance at New England. I've heard it all, they've got better coaching, they'll pick us apart with Matt Cassel, Wilfork will dominate the interior of our line, etc.

The thing is, Buffalo isn't a bad team. They had 30 rushing yards the past game, but were still in it, and would have possibly won if it wasn't for a couple of turnovers. The Jets made us one-dimensional and still couldn't stop us. The Bills were 8/13 on third downs.

So we do have a chance against NE. And think about the scenario if we win: at worst we'll be second in the division. Both we and New England will be 1-2 in the division, but we'll have a one-game lead with our overall record. The Jets and Dolphins both have one loss each inside the division, so it's not like they're unreachable.

Our team has played like crap. But they were just talking tonight about seeing the season in 4-game sections. Our first four games were nice, going 4-0. Then they went 1-3. We know this is a streaky team, they've been that way for several years. So this is a perfect chance to go on another streak in the next four games. Start with NE, then we play some suspect teams in Cleveland, KC and San Fransisco.

We're not out of it yet.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
the sad thing is we are at risk of going o'fer for the first half of our divisional schedule. We are going to continue to play the worst teams outside of our division but nothing is going to make up for not winning games in the division. You are right, we are not a bad team...but we aren't a good team either.

psubills62
11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
the sad thing is we are at risk of going o'fer for the first half of our divisional schedule. We are going to continue to play the worst teams outside of our division but nothing is going to make up for not winning games in the division. You are right, we are not a bad team...but we aren't a good team either.

I know, it is very frustrating. But honestly, with how bad this team has looked the past two games I'm somewhat impressed we only lost each game by 9 points. How many teams can get 30 yards on the ground, have a pick-six deep in the opponent's territory, get inside the opponent's 40-yard line 4 times without getting any points in those four drives, and still score 17 points?

We have a chance at going 0-3, but I don't understand why people refuse to see that we also have a chance at going 1-2, but still coming out in second or even first place in our division at the end of this stretch.

Typ0
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I know, it is very frustrating. But honestly, with how bad this team has looked the past two games I'm somewhat impressed we only lost each game by 9 points. How many teams can get 30 yards on the ground, have a pick-six deep in the opponent's territory, get inside the opponent's 40-yard line 4 times without getting any points in those four drives, and still score 17 points?

We have a chance at going 0-3, but I don't understand why people refuse to see that we also have a chance at going 1-2, but still coming out in second or even first place in our division at the end of this stretch.

it's the lost opportunity and strive for perfection really. I think the team has looked good to be honest. They have been making a lot of big mistakes but I also thought they have responded well. Despite TEs struggles he continues to stand in there and work effectively moving the ball down the field. That is the most encouraging thing I have seen in years. For the whole offense the penalties and turnovers need to go away and things will be much, much better. Growing pains. Hope they don't last. I'm actually very excited for the opportunity to see the team have this chance in NE and think they can get it done. Some young guys are really going to have to step up this week though.

mybills
11-04-2008, 07:12 AM
We're still in it!

psubills62
11-04-2008, 08:03 AM
it's the lost opportunity and strive for perfection really. I think the team has looked good to be honest. They have been making a lot of big mistakes but I also thought they have responded well. Despite TEs struggles he continues to stand in there and work effectively moving the ball down the field. That is the most encouraging thing I have seen in years. For the whole offense the penalties and turnovers need to go away and things will be much, much better. Growing pains. Hope they don't last. I'm actually very excited for the opportunity to see the team have this chance in NE and think they can get it done. Some young guys are really going to have to step up this week though.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Despite all the mistakes and bad stats, they've been in each game almost up to the end. Edwards managed to move the ball well, despite having no running game. It's the penalties and turnovers that are killing us. If they can simply stop turning the ball over so much (one per game isn't too bad, but 3.5 a game is), they'll be able to win these games.

Luisito23
11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
I don't really know how to feel going into NE...On one hand I don't think we will actually lose 3 straight divisional games, but on the other hand the Cheats are tough at home and are also coming off a loss....Aaaah I've run out of hands....:blamelog:

psubills62
11-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't really know how to feel going into NE...On one hand I don't think we will actually lose 3 straight divisional games, but on the other hand the Cheats are tough at home and are also coming off a loss....Aaaah I've run out of hands....:blamelog:
IMO, they're fairly inconsistent at home. They'll get romped by Miami one week, but crush Denver with 5 turnovers the next. Then again, Denver defense is horrid so if you can get any sort of turnovers to stop their offense, then you've pretty much beaten them (ala Kansas City).

I think they have a chance to win at NE. Do I think they actually will? Not so much right now. But they've certainly got a chance. The key is don't freaking turn the ball over!!

Jan Reimers
11-04-2008, 08:24 AM
What's discouraging is our failure to correct certain fundamental problems that have plagued us all season, namely our lack of a pass rush, our inability to run block, and our poor tackling techniques.

In recent games, we have added turnovers, weak pass blocking, mediocre special teams play, and coaching reminiscent of past seasons, to our arsenal of problems.

I think winning 5 games against teams with a combined 12-28 record masked these problems and gave some of us a sense of false hope.

I think it will be pretty bleak from here on out. I'm looking for 3-5 over the last half of the season.

mybills
11-04-2008, 08:26 AM
IMO, they're fairly inconsistent at home. They'll get romped by Miami one week, but crush Denver with 5 turnovers the next. Then again, Denver defense is horrid so if you can get any sort of turnovers to stop their offense, then you've pretty much beaten them (ala Kansas City).

I think they have a chance to win at NE. Do I think they actually will? Not so much right now. But they've certainly got a chance. The key is don't freaking turn the ball over!!
:10:

feldspar
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
This game is an absolute must win for the Bills. This game is HUGE.

We're still in pretty good shape if we win. If we lose, we are in BIG trouble.

We can't afford to be 0-3 in a division where nobody has a losing record...on top of being winless in the division, we could easily end up in last place in the division with a loss this week. We'd be 5-4 with an entirely bad feeling...we were 5-4 last year. With a loss, there wouldn't be anything you can say to me to make me feel optimistic about this team this year.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind sharing first place with the Jets at 6-3 if they also win, which they should. I still think that we are a better team than the Jets.

Besides all that, I hate the Patriots like the plague. I'm using the word "hate" here. I'd love to knock them off their pedestal, putting ourselves in good position in the process. I'm using the word "love" here. There is no other team I would like to beat more than the Patriots under normal conditions, and these aren't normal conditions.

We HAVE to win, otherwise the sky WILL be falling. This game pretty much dictates the rest of the season at this point. A loss would bring down our playoff chances by 40% at least according to my scientific formula.

Mudflap1
11-04-2008, 01:07 PM
The Patriots have nothing that is less in quality than Buffalo. The coaches, QB, special teams, receivers, offensive line, entire defense, etc. all are superior. The only area where Buffalo is close is running back, and maybe punter.

We're going to lose big. As usual.

Jon

psubills62
11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
The Patriots have nothing that is less in quality than Buffalo. The coaches, QB, special teams, receivers, offensive line, entire defense, etc. all are superior. The only area where Buffalo is close is running back, and maybe punter.

We're going to lose big. As usual.

Jon

You've got to be kidding. Lynch and Jackson are a good deal better than anyone the Pats have at RB. Their secondary is as close to garbage as ever. Their defense as a whole has 14 sacks. Guess what...that's only 1 more than the Bills have, and we've been without our best DE for several games. Oh, and did I mention that New England is giving up 7 more rushing yards per game than we are?

Yeah, so I guess all our players are "crap." I'd take Edwards over Cassel ANY DAY. Their offensive line has given up 29 sacks this season. Ours has only given up 23, which everyone on here considers terrible. We're averaging more points per game, and only two fewer yards per game on offense.

I'd say we're better than the Pats at QB, RB, maybe parts of the OL (note the sacks allowed), we're deeper at TE (Fine, Schouman and Royal have all made decent contributions so far), we have a better D-line according to the statistics, and I'd take our injured secondary 10 times out of 10 before I took theirs.

Mudflap1
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Dude... you are smoking some mad monkey tail!

The Patriots are full of proven NFL players, almost all of which have playoff experience, and many of which have Super Bowl experience. Besides Kawika Mitchell and Marcus Stroud, what has any one player on the Bills proven?

New England's wide receivers are waaaaaay better than Buffalo's.

New England's offensive line is waaaay better than Buffalo's. The only reason more sacks have been given up is because they are playing a QB who hadn't started a game since high school before this season. There is a learning curve.

Speaking of this aforementioned QB, he has more TD passes than Buffalo's golden boy, Trent Edwards.

Wilfork, Seymour, Green, and co. versus Stroud, Denney, Kelsay, and Williams? Stroud is good, but the rest of the Bills crew is mediocare at best. This isn't even close. And you can't count Schobel, he's not playing this game and may be out for the season.

New England's linebackers are more proven.

I'll give you the fact that the secondary could be a push. Harrison is out for them, and Whitner may be out for us. However, what do you feel better about, Moss, Welker, and co. versus our DB's, or Evans, Parrish, Hardy, and co. versus New England's secondary? Um, I'll take Moss and Welker thank you very much.

And are you seriously comparing Royal and Fine to Ben Watson? Watson is one of the better tight ends in the NFL.

Nice try. Looks like you drank too much Kool Aid today.

Jon

Typ0
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
they'll be able to win these games.

therein lies the problem. We don't want to be able to win "these" games. Three weeks ago we were talking about the ability to put teams away not hang in there with them and hope for a win. Hoping for a win is where we were last year. The idea of putting teams away is what is exciting about this organization. That's where we want to be. I hope we can put NE away that will heal some of these ills then we can talk about fixing the holes that will stop us from winning a championship.

psubills62
11-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Dude... you are smoking some mad monkey tail!

The Patriots are full of proven NFL players, almost all of which have playoff experience, and many of which have Super Bowl experience. Besides Kawika Mitchell and Marcus Stroud, what has any one player on the Bills proven?

New England's wide receivers are waaaaaay better than Buffalo's.

New England's offensive line is waaaay better than Buffalo's. The only reason more sacks have been given up is because they are playing a QB who hadn't started a game since high school before this season. There is a learning curve.

Speaking of this aforementioned QB, he has more TD passes than Buffalo's golden boy, Trent Edwards.

Wilfork, Seymour, Green, and co. versus Stroud, Denney, Kelsay, and Williams? Stroud is good, but the rest of the Bills crew is mediocare at best. This isn't even close. And you can't count Schobel, he's not playing this game and may be out for the season.

New England's linebackers are more proven.

I'll give you the fact that the secondary could be a push. Harrison is out for them, and Whitner may be out for us. However, what do you feel better about, Moss, Welker, and co. versus our DB's, or Evans, Parrish, Hardy, and co. versus New England's secondary? Um, I'll take Moss and Welker thank you very much.

And are you seriously comparing Royal and Fine to Ben Watson? Watson is one of the better tight ends in the NFL.

Nice try. Looks like you drank too much Kool Aid today.

Jon

LOL you're really on something. So TD passes are the only way to judge a QB. Somehow, you went from saying it's not the O-line's fault that they've given up so many sacks because the QB is not as good, but then he's better than Edwards because he has more TD passes?

All you're stating are opinions and some completely random stats to try and support your position. I gave you stats: the Pats are giving up more rushing yards per game, they're giving up more sacks, they've only got one more sack, their passing defense is worse statistically, they don't score as many points as the Bills do, etc.

New England's LB's are more proven? That's a nice way of saying they're OLD. And considering their leading tackler is a rookie, how is he more proven? We've got Poz, who has played more than Mayo, and we've got Mitchell, who helped the Giants win a Super Bowl. Doesn't get much more proven than that.

Secondary could be a push? Are you serious? Our secondary is 20x better than theirs. Your point is absolutely useless. I know their WR's are much better than ours, and I'd take New England's WR's against any CB's. Our secondary has been better this year even with the injuries. Harrison is a liability in coverage - they're lucky he's gone.

I didn't say our starting TE was better than theirs, I said our overall depth at the position was better. It's probably a push. Watson has 10 receptions for 84 yards, Royal has 24 for 251 yards. That's an interesting stat, no?

I don't see any real response to the stats I've provided. All I see are useless opinions based on what you think, not on what the stats say. The stats say our LB's and D-line have held up better against the run than the Pats have. The stats say we've scored more points per game than the Pats. The stats say we've given up fewer sacks than the Pats have.

mybills
11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
The Patriots are full of proven NFL players
2007 called, they want their pompoms back.

DrGraves
11-04-2008, 10:11 PM
one more loss and the seasons over..

mybills
11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
:rofl: