PDA

View Full Version : where is our Return game!

airdog32
11-04-2008, 02:26 AM
I don't know our average starting feild position but it seems's to me that Leodis looks like Bills kick return's of old! We have an offense that is suited for a short feild and with the explosive returners we have it seems they are not getting the job done! Given teams are keying on our ST but we should come up with some ways to get those sparks back in the return game!!! Just an observation!!!
And we don't need to panic yet we are still 5-3 and control our destiny, we are a young team that can not afford to make mistakes!!! RUN,RUN,RUN play D and we will be alright!
Just my observations

mybills
11-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Leodis may not be getting TD's in our "return game"..but he's usually been bringing it out to the 30+ yd line. I would love to see McGee inserted a few times. I thought for sure they were gonna do that, too. :idunno:

VeggieMan14
11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Idk what you are talking about most of leadis' returns brought us out to at least the 35 they are not TD's but still good field position

jamze132
11-04-2008, 10:30 AM
McGee would have probably had a TD by now.

feldspar
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
We need to scrap McKelvin entirely and put McGee out there. I've been saying this since the beginning. We are not putting our best player out there, and I think that is obvious. At the very least, we need to give McGee SOME returns. Not to do that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

madness
11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
It's not all the returner. Injuries have plagued ST.

McKelvin has been very good on kick returns but still has to work making that first guy miss. Other than that, he doesn't waste time when he gets the ball and that's what is impressive for a rookie. You can't expect a rookie to perfrom like a veteran.

Also there's that little tiny factor that everyone has overlooked in this thread. McGee's knee injury. :doh:

MikeInRoch
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
We need to scrap McKelvin entirely and put McGee out there. I've been saying this since the beginning. We are not putting our best player out there, and I think that is obvious. At the very least, we need to give McGee SOME returns. Not to do that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Because, of course, his injury wouldn't affect him at all.

The Jokeman
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't know our average starting feild position but it seems's to me that Leodis looks like Bills kick return's of old! We have an offense that is suited for a short feild and with the explosive returners we have it seems they are not getting the job done! Given teams are keying on our ST but we should come up with some ways to get those sparks back in the return game!!! Just an observation!!!
And we don't need to panic yet we are still 5-3 and control our destiny, we are a young team that can not afford to make mistakes!!! RUN,RUN,RUN play D and we will be alright!
Just my observations
Perhaps it left with Stamer, Haggan and Aiken to name a few.

feldspar
11-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Because, of course, his injury wouldn't affect him at all.

Don't give me any of that...

we weren't having McGee return kicks before the injury. He has been back going on his third week agains the Patriots, so I hope he isn't still injured. We need to pull out all the stops against the Patriots becuase we really NEED to win that game.

McKelvin isn't even close to being as good as McGee at returning kicks. He doesn't have the same vision or the moves. I have no idea why we are not having McGee do it. I don't think we plan to.

trapezeus
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't give me any of that...

we weren't having McGee return kicks before the injury. He has been back going on his third week agains the Patriots, so I hope he isn't still injured. We need to pull out all the stops against the Patriots becuase we really NEED to win that game.

McKelvin isn't even close to being as good as McGee at returning kicks. He doesn't have the same vision or the moves. I have no idea why we are not having McGee do it. I don't think we plan to.

Mckelvin is getting decent returns and is one or two blocks away from breaking one. i think as fans we see that he is less decisive than mcgee and we wonder if he could be aided if he just made a run for it instead of dancing around.

Mcgee's injury, as stated by the coaching staff, is something that's going to be with him all year. i think you play him as your CB and let him rest on the ST plays. Leodis has to contribute more to this team. Not less.

SpillerThrills
11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm gonna stick up for McKelvin just like I did for Hardy. he's a rookie, he's jumping in and doing what you don't usually see rookies do. he is a very good returner, is he McGee? no. can he be as good of a returner as McGee? in due time.... and ofcourse it won't hurt when the team is acutally healty.....

mybills
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
we weren't having McGee return kicks before the injury.
exactly. you'd think they would've occasionally used him for it prior to his injury, but they didn't. :cynic:

feldspar
11-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Mckelvin is getting decent returns and is one or two blocks away from breaking one. i think as fans we see that he is less decisive than mcgee and we wonder if he could be aided if he just made a run for it instead of dancing around.

Mcgee's injury, as stated by the coaching staff, is something that's going to be with him all year. i think you play him as your CB and let him rest on the ST plays. Leodis has to contribute more to this team. Not less.

McKelvin, in no way, compares to McGee as a returner. McKelvin seems to run relatively straight ahead, and he seems to get his better returns when there happens to be a hole where he happens to be running. Meanwhile, McGee sees the whole field. He shucks, jives, deeks, and changes direction. He is a constant home-run threat, and gives us the better field postition. He is a Pro Bowl returner and a 2 time All-Pro.

If we are starting McKelvin because of his "potential" and as an excuse to get a return on the high draft pick and money investment, I'd be pissed. But I can't imagine why else we would be having him return kicks every single time. He simply is not as good as McGee. McKelvin has been average, and he doesn't nearly bring the level of excitement than McGee does.

For the life of me, I can't understand why we would ever take into account the return ability of ANY player we drafted, especially one drafted so high. McGee is obviously a better returner than he is a CB, too. What we needed was a #1 corner...period. IMO, McGee is one of the best returners in the league easily, and he would make a very fine #2 CB.

We are killing ourselves in this area. We aren't putting the best player we have out there; therefore, we aren't doing all we can to win. We aren't even using McKelvin in the right way at cornerback with the injuries to McGee and Youboty. The coaches are misusing him IMO.

feldspar
11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
exactly. you'd think they would've occasionally used him for it prior to his injury, but they didn't. :cynic:

Occasionally at the very least.

There is just no way that McKelvin earned returning every single kick over McGee. We handed that duty over to him for a reason that is not good enough.

feldspar
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Also, McGee understands how to set up his blocks. I've seen no evidence to suggest that McKelvin understands how to do this.