PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin, Youboty, Whitner.....

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
With injuries mounting, it's quite possible that McKelvin could see time at CB this week. The same Buffalo News article that discusses Schobel says Whitner is day-to-day with a separated shoulder, but that injury usually takes 2-4 weeks to heal.

With Youboty out, the Bills had been using 3 safeties in the nickel set, going with McGee and Greer at the CB positions, Whitner as the nickel back, and Simpson and Scott as the safeties. If Whitner and Youboty are both out, our base DB's would be Greer, injured McGee, Simpson, Scot. Our nickel DB's would be Greer, injured McGee, McKelvin, Simpson, Scott.

Against NE, that's downright scary. McKelvin has struggled at CB due to his inexperience, and McGee is still hobbled by the injury. And Simpson is having a terrible year. Greer has been excellent and Scott, while certainly no Pro Bowler, has held his own.

The good news is that neither Youboty or Whitner are officially ruled out for the game, so hopefully we'll get one or both back. But right now, it doesn't look good.

RockStar36
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM
If Brady was playing I would be much more scared, but this is still going to be a problem unless they find some magical way to all of a sudden start putting pressure on the QB.

HHURRICANE
11-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I hated the McKelvin pick but I actually think he might be okay if he plays.

I'm going on record that he won't be a bust. I actually think he will be okay. I also predict a pick this weekend if he starts.

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I think McKelvin will be fine eventually, but I don't think he's ready yet. We got lucky with the emergence of Youboty, then unlucky with injuries in the secondary.

RockStar36
11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Out of everything this weekend, the Greer and Moss match-up is what scares me the most.

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Out of everything this weekend, the Greer and Moss match-up is what scares me the most.

I think Greer will surprise you. Of course, that just means that Welker and Watson will pick us apart....

bigbub2352
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I think Youboty is close to returning, he is injury prone as well, he missed significant time last year to injury

We got to find a way to keep these guys healthy we lose players at an alarming rate, i wonder if it has to do with DJ training camp

gr8slayer
11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
What the Bills need to do is move Whitner to his natural position at CB. He would instantly be the best CB on the roster.

RockStar36
11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I think Greer will surprise you. Of course, that just means that Welker and Watson will pick us apart....

I sure hope so. He has been great this year. I just have bad memories of last season.

DraftBoy
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
What the Bills need to do is move Whitner to his natural position at CB. He would instantly be the best CB on the roster.

:bf1:

Ive been saying that since we drafted him. He's an Antoine Winfield clone with better hands.

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2008, 11:58 AM

:homer:

Moss will eat Greer up and spit him out and he eat him again. What are you basing this Greer will surprise us claim on?

Watson does not scare me - he is way over-rated.

Welker will kill us with short passes and slants.

' Course Moss will have 150 +.

raphael120
11-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I think the Bills D is going to make Cassel look like Brady.

psubills62
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
With injuries mounting, it's quite possible that McKelvin could see time at CB this week. The same Buffalo News article that discusses Schobel says Whitner is day-to-day with a separated shoulder, but that injury usually takes 2-4 weeks to heal.

With Youboty out, the Bills had been using 3 safeties in the nickel set, going with McGee and Greer at the CB positions, Whitner as the nickel back, and Simpson and Scott as the safeties. If Whitner and Youboty are both out, our base DB's would be Greer, injured McGee, Simpson, Scot. Our nickel DB's would be Greer, injured McGee, McKelvin, Simpson, Scott.

Against NE, that's downright scary. McKelvin has struggled at CB due to his inexperience, and McGee is still hobbled by the injury. And Simpson is having a terrible year. Greer has been excellent and Scott, while certainly no Pro Bowler, has held his own.

The good news is that neither Youboty or Whitner are officially ruled out for the game, so hopefully we'll get one or both back. But right now, it doesn't look good.

I felt misled last week when it sounded like Youboty would play against the Jets. Will he be available against the Pats? If he was as close to playing as I thought he was last weekend then I'd assume he'd play, but you never know. Why is it that Bills players who get injured are out for weeks longer than we originally think?

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
:homer:

Moss will eat Greer up and spit him out and he eat him again. What are you basing this Greer will surprise us claim on?

Watson does not scare me - he is way over-rated.

Welker will kill us with short passes and slants.

' Course Moss will have 150 +.

Did you see the replay of Greer's man to man coverage on that pick? It was perfection. Granted, the guy he was covering isn't nearly as good as Moss, but I really think Greer will get help, and between his skill and the double teams Moss will be held in check. It's happened before.

The downside, however, is that NE has other weapons, like Welker. And when we put our best cover guy and our double teams on Moss, the rest of their O will eat us alive.

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Not a bad idea, however it's not practical at the moment. When everyone's healthy, the Bills have 3 decent or better corners in McGee, Greer and Youboty, plus McKelvin who will likely be decent in time. At S, they just have Simpson, Scott and Wendling behind Whitner.

madness
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I think Youboty returns this week and we'll be without Whitner for at least 2 more weeks.

It's time anyway to throw these rookies into the fire due to our current injuries. Youboty/Greer on the outside, McKelvin running nickel and Scott and Simpson manning the middle is very serviceable. If Youboty isn't 100%, swap him and McKelvin.

Welker doesn't scare me and that's because any WR being utilized in a short passing game against Fewell scares the **** out of me. Hopefully Fewell was watching the game last night as the Steelers did a wonderful job pressing the WR's and throwing off the timing routes.

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I think Youboty returns this week and we'll be without Whitner for at least 2 more weeks.

It's time anyway to throw these rookies into the fire due to our current injuries. Youboty/Greer on the outside, McKelvin running nickel and Scott and Simpson manning the middle is very serviceable. If Youboty isn't 100%, swap him and McKelvin.

Welker doesn't scare me and that's because any WR being utilized in a short passing game against Fewell scares the **** out of me. Hopefully Fewell was watching the game last night as the Steelers did a wonderful job pressing the WR's and throwing off the timing routes.

Pressing the WR? Is that legal? Did anyone tell Fewell?

ScottLawrence
11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Fewell better start being more agressive or he and this tampa two scheme got to go at the end of the year.

It's hard to run a tampa two defense or any defense when you have the worst starting ends in the league.

madness
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Pressing the WR? Is that legal? Did anyone tell Fewell?

:spit:

patmoran2006
11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
if Youboty is also out, I think you will see a lot of Greer playing the slot corner in our nickel packages with mcKelvin taking his spot. .He'll get his chance to match up with Moss, like he said he wanted during the summer.

RockStar36
11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Did you see the replay of Greer's man to man coverage on that pick? It was perfection. Granted, the guy he was covering isn't nearly as good as Moss, but I really think Greer will get help, and between his skill and the double teams Moss will be held in check. It's happened before.

The downside, however, is that NE has other weapons, like Welker. And when we put our best cover guy and our double teams on Moss, the rest of their O will eat us alive.

Not trying to start an argument, but you seem to be forgetting the two games last year where Moss literally ate Greer alive.

patmoran2006
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
And George Wilson.

ServoBillieves
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Is George Wilson no longer on the roster or hurt? I haven't seen his name at all in this thread.

madness
11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Not trying to start an argument, but you seem to be forgetting the two games last year where Moss literally ate Greer alive.

Greer had excellent coverage on most of those plays except one play that stands out only because Greer got tripped up. Brady put those balls in the only place Moss could make a play.

Crisis
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
it doesn't matter who's in the secondary, when moss is on nobody is going to stop him. the guy is the kind of talent you see once every 30 years.

who knows how he'll be without brady though.

our secondary is going to need a lot of help from the front 4 with the injuries, have to get somebody in cassell's face though, he may not be brady but any QB can look good with time in the pocket.

what about reggie corner anyways?

raphael120
11-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Is George Wilson no longer on the roster or hurt? I haven't seen his name at all in this thread.
Good point...you haven't seen him out on the field much. Byran Scott has been on the field first before Wilson. And if Ko sucks so bad and he's still on the field, you have to wonder what's up with Wilson.

BTW, Moss's production has gone waaaayyyyyyy down. Did you see the Indy game?

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM

I honestly have to check. He hasn't been on the field at all this season.

OpIv37
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM

it feels weird to be on this side of the debate.....

Greer has been playing really well lately and Cassell is no Brady. I think Greer can take him.

But, again, I think shutting down Moss will come at the expense of opening up the rest of NE's offense. They'll beat us one way or the other.

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
it feels weird to be on this side of the debate.....

Greer has been playing really well lately and Cassell is no Brady. I think Greer can take him.

But, again, I think shutting down Moss will come at the expense of opening up the rest of NE's offense. They'll beat us one way or the other.

I feel weird too.

But you ae certifiable if you think Greer matches up with Moss. He is not physical enough.

Granted Brady is missing, but he is missing for Welker and Gaffney too. I like the match-up of Welker on McKelvin better than Moss on Greer. Sure Greer has been playing well. But this is Randy Freakin' Moss.

The Bills only hope is that NE's running game is so bad they can slaughter Cassell with a goofy blitz package.

madness
11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Sure Greer has been playing well. But this is Randy Freakin' Moss.

I'm not scared of names just like people aren't scared of T Freakin' O right now.

Crisis
11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
george wilson has been playing special teams...he almost blocked a punt in the jets game