PDA

View Full Version : Running the wildcat with Roscoe at QB

Stewie
11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I know I know - the secret is out on how to defend the wildcat. However, maintaining your gaps on defense doesn't change the fact that the offense picks up an extra blocker.

Since Roscoe is our emergency QB and can therefore complete a pass or two, the defense would in theory have to think about the pass on a rollout. Why not run him out of the wildcat once or twice to see what happens? Split Lee and Hardy wide, with Roscoe, and either a heavy (fine, schouman) or flex package (Lynch jackson/(TE)) in the backfield. Let Roscoe make the play call at the line given two or three options. See what happens.

The King
11-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Cats suck.

The wildcat is no exception.

Stewie
11-05-2008, 10:00 AM
dammit I'm stoooopid... please move, mods

LtFinFan66
11-05-2008, 10:01 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e348/LtFinFan66/untitledfonz.jpg

Pinkerton Security
11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
its not a terrible idea, im all for fresh ideas on O, but I think Roscoe might be a little to small to run off tackle. however, if we only ran it once or twice and did something totally unpredictable, then who knows.

Captain gameboy
11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I love the idea.

During the games I have attended, I have watched him throw during warmups, and the guy throws ropes.

I can't believe we haven't given an end around/reverse with an option wrinkle yet.

The little guy can bring it!

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Do we really want Roscoe making a play call?

yordad
11-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Jackson would be better at it, and I believe he is actually the E-QB.

DraftBoy
11-05-2008, 11:00 AM
This reeks of Mularkey-esque ideas.

To be honest I hate the wildcat formation if it means splitting the QB out wide. Trent needs to be on the sidelines if we are going wildcat.

Stewie
11-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Do we really want Roscoe making a play call?

Yes. If you make it to the NFL, you should be able to have an innate sense of what will work best. And if you're not sure, just go with what coach called.

Give him a primary run with an option to check to a roll out, at least.

Stewie
11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
This reeks of Mularkey-esque ideas.

To be honest I hate the wildcat formation if it means splitting the QB out wide. Trent needs to be on the sidelines if we are going wildcat.
Totally agreed.

Does anyone know, as long as roscoe isn't listed as a qbon the depth chart, he can come in and play qb for a few plays with no 'QB' on the field and not affect anyone elses ability to come back in. Right?

Captain gameboy
11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Totally agreed.

Does anyone know, as long as roscoe isn't listed as a qbon the depth chart, he can come in and play qb for a few plays with no 'QB' on the field and not affect anyone elses ability to come back in. Right?

Is this a serious post?

DrGraves
11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I like the idea CONSIDERING WE CAN'T RUN THE BALL IN THE TRADITIONAL WAY. we have NOTHING to lose.

blackonyx89
11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Is this a serious post?

I think it is, we need something to spark this offense.

Captain gameboy
11-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I think it is, we need something to spark this offense.

Maybe I misunderstood.

It looks to me that the post asks a question regarding the legality of using someone in a position that that player is not listed on the depth chart.

If I misunderstood it, I apologize.

Stewie
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Maybe I misunderstood.

It looks to me that the post asks a question regarding the legality of using someone in a position that that player is not listed on the depth chart.

If I misunderstood it, I apologize.
Yes, it was a serious question because I don't know the full implication of the emergency qb rule. Good thing this is an internet message board and not the 4th quarter of a game, huh? :D

If roscoe was listed as the emergency qb then we couldn't use him at qb until the 4th quarter, otherwise the first two quarterbacks would not be allowed back in. or something.

But as someone else pointed out, he may not be the emergency qb at all so the point is moot. I'm sure I could look it up in 10 seconds if it was important.

I know hamdan is our 3rd qb but he's been inactive a lot.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Sure, why not? We tried it for two plays against Miami and both of them picked up 5 yards or so.

TacklingDummy
11-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I like the idea CONSIDERING WE CAN'T RUN THE BALL IN THE TRADITIONAL WAY. we have NOTHING to lose.

The Bills might want to draft a RB with their 1st round pick this year.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM
The Bills might want to draft a RB with their 1st round pick this year.

I think a 1st on a RB would be a little excessive unless a guy like Moreno is available, in which case, HELL YEAH!!

We could probably find a good role player type of back in the 2nd-3rd, I still think we need to go DE in the 1st next year, unless a very good FS, or CB prospect is available. Don't forget we need a C who can come in and start Day 1, next year. Alex Mack or Jonathan Luigs, anyone?