PDA

View Full Version : joey porter calls out the NFL... and jags wr matt jones

CuseJetsFan83
11-05-2008, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3684746

joey porter
He got caught with cocaine and Matt Jones is still playing football. How does he get away with that? And then you fine people $20,000 for making comments to the media about the refs. The guy got caught with cocaine.

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Can't say I disagree with Joey but didn't he sucker punch Levi Jones with his boys backing him up? :scratch:

CuseJetsFan83
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
eh, i like joey in terms of he does speak his mind, and this instance, how come matt jones hasn't been punished in some fashion??

anyways... he at least makes the games entertaining

PECKERWOOD
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
eh, i like joey in terms of he does speak his mind, and this instance, how come matt jones hasn't been punished in some fashion??

anyways... he at least makes the games entertaining

He makes the games interesting but he definately has a big mouth on him. I would bet 1k in real money that Porter has tried coke in his lifetime.

SABURZFAN
11-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Porter's a douche.

Mr. Pink
11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Porter might be a douche but Matt Jones is just as big of a douche.

He raises a very good point here.

RockStar36
11-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I can't stand Porter but the point is valid. The NFL is dropping the ball on this one.

mybills
11-06-2008, 11:34 AM
How does he get away with that?

The NFL suspended Jones for three games, but he appealed the suspension and is awaiting a final decision.

That's how.

RockStar36
11-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Not only is the appeal dumb, but it shouldn't have gone this long in the first place. I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure this happened before the regular season. For something this serious, he should've been suspended right away. Same with Santonio Holmes.

Mike13
11-06-2008, 02:20 PM
He is 100% correct, Goodell has his priorities misplaced.

Pinkerton Security
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Theres two things bad about Porter being good again: 1) He plays for the Phins, and 2) He wont shut up again! Such a yapper, i hate guys like him.

HughC
11-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Porter's comparing apples and oranges. Anything to do with substance abuse falls under the agreement between the NFLPA and the NFL in how it is dealt with as part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Once Jones was busted he enters a drug intervention program. He gets suspended for three games and is appealing that decision. These type of appeals are going to last much longer than other appeals such as a fine for a late hit.

The other suspensions such as Pacman Jones fall under the personal conduct policy. That covers things that a player may not even be arrested for, and they are not part of the CBA. The penalties are for things that are considered to be detrimental to the image of the league. Remember, this was put in to place because everybody - even the players - were fed up with negative off-field publicity by players like Pacman Jones, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, and others.

In my opinion, as a player that could potentially be affected by these policies, Porter should be embarrased that someone like me knows more about them than he does. If he doesn't know the policies or questions them, he should talk with his union rep, or the NFLPA, or the commissioner's office before making a statement such as that to reporters. His backtracking claim that he 'was asked a question, so I had to give an opinion because that's just the way I am' is a poor excuse for going on the record with an opinion in which he is ill informed.

On top of that Porter should be one of the last to point fingers, given his history ranging from four-on-one thuggery to comments to the media about Kellen Winslow that would get many people in other professions fired. His claim that he's unable to hold back from talking when asked a question is B.S.; if that was the case then if a reporter asked him what the Dolphins game plan was on Saturday, then he would also be unable to spill his guts.