PDA

View Full Version : Man, I used to think I was the resident pessimist

patmoran2006
11-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I can't get believe how people are ready to pack in the season if we lose Sunday.

I want to win Sunday, but if we lose, the season is FAR from over.

Is anyone telling me that we can't beat Cleveland, KC, freegin SF and Miami (at home*) to get to 9-4, even if we lose to the Pats?

WTF.. If anyone on this board told you in JULY if we could be 5-4 after nine games, 95% of you woulda JUMPED on it.

yes, the injuries are starting to hurt. But we're not the only team in the NFL with them.

Bottom line: WE cant run the ball, we cant sack the QB, yet if we dont commit seven TO's in the last 2 games we're probably 7-1, certainly no worse than 6-2.

Trent will get his **** together, and i think even the OL will start to play better (cant get any worse).. I think Chambers starting at RG might end up as a blessing in disguise.

At any rate.. Jesus Christ man. Relax a little bit. I'm usually (besides OP) the biggest pessimist around here, and I even think we're not in dire straits, even if we lose Sunday. In fact, as much as I want to win, I'm looking at how certain guys play as much as the score.. That will tell you a lot.

Lots of football left.

Ebenezer
11-07-2008, 05:16 PM
OMG....WE AGREE!!!

im4bflo
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I've never counted the BILLS out of any game, we're the team with the
Greatest Comeback Ever in the NFL, Thank You very much!
"That's why we play the game's", "No one circles the wagon's like the BUFFALO BILLS!" "Anyone can beat anyone, on any given Sunday" ring any bell's?
GO BILLS!!!
Everyone else, Eat my Dust! :gobills:

Mitchell55
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
The only mistake is that Miami is not realy a home game. Other than that I 100000000000000000000000000000000% agree with you.

shelby
11-07-2008, 07:11 PM
:up:

yordad
11-07-2008, 07:28 PM
5-4 doesn't sound good. Especially considering we would be last in the division. The Bills injured players are very key players. Crowell, Schobel, Whitner, Reed, Youboty.....

Forward_Lateral
11-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I've never once gotten over excited about the fast start, or over-depressed about the mini-slide the Bills are on. They are 5-3 at the halfway point, and all they have to do is go 5-3 the rest of the way to give themselves a very good shot at making the post season.

SeatownBillsFan21
11-07-2008, 08:18 PM
losing4out5 games dosent sound good but i agree the season wont be over if we lose but i dont no if this team can come back from that

mybills
11-07-2008, 08:18 PM
You had me at..

:10:

Typ0
11-07-2008, 09:04 PM

I guess it's how you look at it really...but if we lost on Sunday the season is much, much closer to being over. So you can say right now, today the season being over is far away...but if we lost on Sunday it will be that much closer.

Typ0
11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
the real tale is if we win on sunday it will be the same.

psubills62
11-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I can't get believe how people are ready to pack in the season if we lose Sunday.

Is anyone telling me that we can't beat Cleveland, KC, freegin SF and Miami (at home*) to get to 9-4, even if we lose to the Pats?

WTF.. If anyone on this board told you in JULY if we could be 5-4 after nine games, 95% of you woulda JUMPED on it.

yes, the injuries are starting to hurt. But we're not the only team in the NFL with them.

Bottom line: WE cant run the ball, we cant sack the QB, yet if we dont commit seven TO's in the last 2 games we're probably 7-1, certainly no worse than 6-2.

Trent will get his **** together, and i think even the OL will start to play better (cant get any worse).. I think Chambers starting at RG might end up as a blessing in disguise.

At any rate.. Jesus Christ man. Relax a little bit. I'm usually (besides OP) the biggest pessimist around here, and I even think we're not in dire straits, even if we lose Sunday. In fact, as much as I want to win, I'm looking at how certain guys play as much as the score.. That will tell you a lot.

Lots of football left.

Completely agree. IMO, people assume that if we go 0-3 in the division at first, we'll automatically go 0-6.

The losses have been disappointing, but there's no reason to just ignore the fact that we have won 5 games.

Dr. Lecter
11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
If they lose Sunday, they will have lost 4 out of 5.

How is the season not over?

Typ0
11-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Completely agree. IMO, people assume that if we go 0-3 in the division at first, we'll automatically go 0-6.

The losses have been disappointing, but there's no reason to just ignore the fact that we have won 5 games.

not really....the fact is if we go 0-3 the likelihood increases that we will lose 4 games within the division. Losing 4 games in the division is the end of our road unless another team in our division loses 5 or more games. Nice try but losing this week is the end of the road for us. In your scenario where we lost the Fins have us beat down and they are in last place in the division right now.

Typ0
11-07-2008, 10:05 PM

it's not the losing streak but the fact that a winning streak isn't going to make a difference. Hockey season approaches.

mybills
11-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Go ahead people, keep sending those negative vibes out to the Bills. I'm glad it's not a home game. :shakeno:

Bedard will positively cheer louder than all of us from his seat at Gillette. :bf1:

Hey Mike, try to get close enough to Wilfork so you can step on his toes! :up:

psubills62
11-07-2008, 10:52 PM
not really....the fact is if we go 0-3 the likelihood increases that we will lose 4 games within the division. Losing 4 games in the division is the end of our road unless another team in our division loses 5 or more games. Nice try but losing this week is the end of the road for us. In your scenario where we lost the Fins have us beat down and they are in last place in the division right now.

Nice contradiction. First you say that if we lose 4 divisional games, it's the end of the road. Then you say that if we lose this weekend it's the end of the road. Which is it? Because if we lose this weekend, that's only the 3rd divisional loss. Like you said, it increases the chances, but are those chances 100% that we'll lose the 4th? Nope.

If we do lose 4 divisional games, we could theoretically still get to 11-5, or 10-6 if we lose another game somewhere else. I don't see how that's the end of the road, even if we lose 4 divisional games.

billogic99
11-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I think the Bills win more then they lose over the next 8 games.

Michael82
11-08-2008, 01:01 AM
:gobills:

yordad
11-08-2008, 07:28 AM
OK, I get it guys. It is week 10. Losing doesn't make them mathmatically eliminated. But, one could logically conclude it would make their chances pretty low.

SABURZFAN
11-08-2008, 07:34 AM
if Lossman were starting the rest of the season, i could see why people would pack the season in. he's not so the Bills still have hope.

Mr. Pink
11-08-2008, 10:00 AM
How someone can spin us being 5-4 as a good thing, if we lose Sunday, is beyond me.

5-4 is good when you started 0-4, not when you started 4-0...face it if we lose this game we've lost our last 3 straight. Heading into a MNF game against a team that can score a lot of points who relies on quick passes and some deep balls to do it. The offense the Browns run is very similar to the Jets and Cards who absolutely torched us. On top of the fact through recent history we've been notoriously bad on the national stage.

5-4 might = last place in the division come Sunday evening. Spin it however you want, the train is starting to derail already.

Injuries, losing streak, lack of consistency...if we lose Sunday I don't see how we possibly can make a playoff berth starting off 0-3 in the division.

So when is the time to panic and get worried? Sure we can beat Cle, KC and SF...we'll likely win 2 of those 3 to be honest...so that'll likely mean we're 7-5 heading into the last 4 games and have to play our division rivals again. If we're already 0-3 against them, even if we win 2 of 3 the second go round, we're likely to lose every tiebreaker if we are tied with any of them at season's end.

acehole
11-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I never saw you as that. More like resident flip flopper.

Lots of football left.

patmoran2006
11-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Because there will be 7 games remaining, we'll be favored in at least 5 of them, and even with a loss Sunday we'll still be over .500

Have you taken a look at records for the rest of the conference? Jags, Colts, Chargers, Browns, etc?

Three teams may end up coming out of the AFCE this year.

Dr. Lecter
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
The Bills were favored against Miami and the Jets too. Where did that get them?

A loss this week also puts them behind all three AFC east teams and puts them in last place (possibly).

DraftBoy
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Lots of football left.

You made good points till the bolded areas. How anybody can see Chambers as a blessing is way beyond me...

DraftBoy
11-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Because there will be 7 games remaining, we'll be favored in at least 5 of them, and even with a loss Sunday we'll still be over .500

Have you taken a look at records for the rest of the conference? Jags, Colts, Chargers, Browns, etc?

Three teams may end up coming out of the AFCE this year.

Since when does being favored have dick to do with winning or losing? Isnt this team actually a loser against the spread so far?

Typ0
11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice contradiction. First you say that if we lose 4 divisional games, it's the end of the road. Then you say that if we lose this weekend it's the end of the road. Which is it? Because if we lose this weekend, that's only the 3rd divisional loss. Like you said, it increases the chances, but are those chances 100% that we'll lose the 4th? Nope.

If we do lose 4 divisional games, we could theoretically still get to 11-5, or 10-6 if we lose another game somewhere else. I don't see how that's the end of the road, even if we lose 4 divisional games.

it's not a contradiction. We lose tomorrows game we lose a tie breaker with a team we need to beat out to get in the playoffs.

psubills62
11-08-2008, 11:58 PM
it's not a contradiction. We lose tomorrows game we lose a tie breaker with a team we need to beat out to get in the playoffs.

Did you see the bolded parts? It was a contradiction. First you said that four division losses would be the end of the road. Then you said losing this weekend (which is only the third division loss) is the end of the road. How is that not a contradiction? They can't both be the end of the road. Which is it?

How is that losing a tiebreaker? Do we not have two games against the Pats? Is there zero other chances of beating them? Technically, we'd still have a chance at going 3-3 in the division, and the Pats could go 2-4 in the division. I know, it's not likely, blah blah blah. But guess what? Neither was the Giants winning the Super Bowl. Anything can happen in the NFL.

WagonCircler
11-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Someone call for a pessimist? :D

I got here as fast as I could.

patmoran2006
11-09-2008, 12:19 AM
IF we lose tomorrow we still have 3 more games in the division left. and thats if we go to 0-3.. two are at home, btw.

Michael82
11-09-2008, 01:00 AM
IF we lose tomorrow we still have 3 more games in the division left. and thats if we go to 0-3.. two are at home, btw.
no they aren't. One is at home, and 2 are away. I don't give a **** what anyone says, the Toronto game is not our typical home game and that place will not be as crazy as the Ralph.

mayotm
11-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Lots of football left.I never thought that I would write this, but Pat has become the voice of reason around here. Pat, you've been on fire lately. Your posts the past few weeks have been very well thought out and completely rational. Nice job.

Michael82
11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
After watching this pathetic team today, I'm betting your thoughts are different now. They are 0-3 in the division and will be lucky to finish 8-8. :sigh:

Historian
11-09-2008, 03:22 PM
The way this team is blocking and tackling, we may not win another game.

Typ0
11-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Did you see the bolded parts? It was a contradiction. First you said that four division losses would be the end of the road. Then you said losing this weekend (which is only the third division loss) is the end of the road. How is that not a contradiction? They can't both be the end of the road. Which is it?

How is that losing a tiebreaker? Do we not have two games against the Pats? Is there zero other chances of beating them? Technically, we'd still have a chance at going 3-3 in the division, and the Pats could go 2-4 in the division. I know, it's not likely, blah blah blah. But guess what? Neither was the Giants winning the Super Bowl. Anything can happen in the NFL.

what I meant to be heard was that losing the first three games in the division would mean we need to win the next three which IMO is miniscule possibliity. After losing 3 then the next loss kills us and that is nearly inevitable. So the third loss naturally will lead to the fourth where we are dead.

Typ0
11-10-2008, 09:42 PM

the pats have won two division games already including one beating us. So we need to win two more division games just to talk about a tie breaker with them assuming they lose all three of their remaining division games...and of those two we win -- we need to beat them once. Call if opinion if you like but we needed to beat NE on sunday to overcome them for a playoff berth. The odds of our besting them now are about 100,000 - 1.

Now, because Miami beat NE...guess what...we're screwed there too most likely. If NE loses their remaining three and Miami wins 2 of 3 (they would have to beat NE and JESTS and lost to us) and we win all 3 Miami has 4 wins in the division and we have only 3.

Sadly enough, JESTs have beaten Miami so they need to lose to Miami and we need to beat Miami to sniff a tie breaker with them. Of the other two teams, I think the JESTs are the only ones we can actually win a tiebreaker with on common opponents outside the division if it comes that far as well.

I know I haven't sat down and hammered out all the scenarios...and no doubt someone can come up with ONE that will put us in the playoffs (please, go ahead and try). But it's really not looking good and that loss last week was a huge opportunity to take the drivers seat on some of these things that instead is a whole bunch of hammered nails into our coffin. you go ahead and be in denial due to eternal optimism if you want.