PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: No passrush - - - Schobel

Ebenezer
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Forked from: No passrush, another long day. (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2727776)

The Bills defensive ends have been matched up one on one all day and I have counted one time that they won. Unfortunatetly when that happened the DE got held and Cassel then completed another first down.

So, how important is Schobel to this defense?

OpIv37
11-09-2008, 05:05 PM
We had a pass rush when Schobel was playing? Could have fooled me.

Our pass rush is below average with Schobel. It's competely inept without him.

hydro
11-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Our pass rush is below average with Schobel. It's competely inept without him.

Bingo!

Ingtar33
11-09-2008, 05:39 PM

Our pass rush is below average with Schobel. It's completely inept without him.

4 games Schobel played -

4 wins - 0 losses
10 sacks
15 ppg against

5 games since Schobel was hurt (he got hurt vs the cards)

1 win - 4 losses
4 sacks
25 ppg against

I'd say that was a big loss.

Nighthawk
11-09-2008, 05:40 PM
4 games Schobel played -

4 wins - 0 losses
10 sacks
15 ppg against

1 win - 4 losses
4 sacks
25 ppg against

I'd agree. Though I don't think he is worth the money he is getting, he is better then the slugs we have as backups on this team.

Mahdi
11-09-2008, 05:44 PM
4 games Schobel played -

4 wins - 0 losses
10 sacks
15 ppg against

1 win - 4 losses
4 sacks
25 ppg against

10 sacks in 4 games is not that impressive. The reason we won the first four games was not Schobel. The reason was that we played teams that were having the same problems we were. OL and DL. Raiders, Hawks, Jags, Rams. All those teams have weaknesses along their OL and DL we just managed to outlast them and since we didnt turn the ball over many times in that stretch we stayed in games long enough to steal wins.

Mahdi
11-09-2008, 05:46 PM
10 sacks in 4 games is not that impressive. The reason we won the first four games was not Schobel. The reason was that we played teams that were having the same problems we were. OL and DL. Raiders, Hawks, Jags, Rams. All those teams have weaknesses along their OL and DL we just managed to outlast them and since we didnt turn the ball over many times in that stretch we stayed in games long enough to steal wins.
We will most likely beat the Browns, Niners and Chiefs because none of those cats can get pressure on QBs and we should be able to average 3.8 ypc rather than the 2.8 ypc we are earning now which might just be enough to win.

madness
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
People can underplay Schobel's impact all they want. The fact of the matter is that opposing offenses always had a game plan specifically for him.

News flash... teams don't game plan against mediocre players! Anybody think Stroud and even Williams (heck, our whole damn line) disappearance act is by coincidence? Without Schobel all they need to do is double Stroud, pick up the un-occasional/predictable blitz and then they can practically walk right down the field.

Ingtar33
11-09-2008, 06:07 PM
10 sacks in 4 games is not that impressive.

I didn't say our d-line was good in those games.

I was saying that it went from mediocre to terrible

Schobel's loss has really hurt our line and defense.

Mahdi
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
People can underplay Schobel's impact all they want. The fact of the matter is that opposing offenses always had a game plan specifically for him.

News flash... teams don't game plan against mediocre players! Anybody think Stroud and even Williams (heck, our whole damn line) disappearance act is by coincidence? Without Schobel all they need to do is double Stroud, pick up the un-occasional/predictable blitz and then they can practically walk right down the field.
they used to game plan for him. If you watch each snap he is singled up most of the time. One thing I will say that is also affecting his pressure on QBs is the quick throws EVERY team is bleeding us with. Fewell really needs to trust his CBs more and let them press.

Owen DeBoard
11-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Im glad someone sees the same thing I do with Schobel.

im8th2buffalo
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
No Passrush+ No Protection = No more wins this season
They need to change their gameplan or this is gonna be a long season.
I am tired of them losing!!!
I really want to see improvement on both sides of the ball.

Mahdi
11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
No Passrush+ No Protection = No more wins this season
They need to change their gameplan or this is gonna be a long season.
I am tired of them losing!!!
I really want to see improvement on both sides of the ball.
Its going to have to be some special game plan to get Kelsay and Denney to create pressure on QBs and actually get this OL to somehow become good run blockers.

im8th2buffalo
11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
As big as our Offensive line is, they should be pushing the other teams at will.
Overpaid & (Is it lazy, lack of talent, or apathy)? Open up some holes for a change. And I don't mean holes for the defenders to run through.

im8th2buffalo
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Its going to have to be some special game plan to get Kelsay and Denney to create pressure on QBs and actually get this OL to somehow become good run blockers.
I agree they need some special game planning. They also need Kelsey to earn that pay raise that he received.
Other team's backups seem better than some of our starters.

Mahdi
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree they need some special game planning. They also need Kelsey to earn that pay raise that he received.
Other team's backups seem better than some of our starters.
I truly believe Kelsay should be released at the end of the season. He is not earning his pay and we drafted Ellis for a reason. Use the cap space for someone else and draft another DE in case Schobel keeps up his sub-par play or regresses. This team needs an impact DE like Osi or Freeney.

OpIv37
11-09-2008, 10:47 PM
4 games Schobel played -

4 wins - 0 losses
10 sacks
15 ppg against

1 win - 4 losses
4 sacks
25 ppg against

How many of those sacks was Schobel responsible for?

Did you consider the level of competition? In those wins, we played 3 teams that are 2-7 and one that is 4-5. In the losses, all the teams we played now have winning records. You can't attribute that drop-off in production to Schobel's loss without accounting for the level of competition. That's a really short-sighted analysis.

OpIv37
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM

But you just said they game plan for Schobel. Have you watched him play over the last 2 or 3 seasons? Have you seen his stat line? He's as mediocre as it gets.

You forget that Stroud wasn't getting sacks when Schobel was in, outside of the Seattle game. It's not as simple as you're making it sound.